all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing and TGU Form Check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Berserker

First Post
Hello all,

I just picked up a copy of Simple and Sinister and can't wait to get started. I am a complete beginner and any advice on my form would be much appreciated.

General information: I am a healthy 32y male; 5'8"; 170lb; body comp unknown; muscles and joints are in good working order.

Sports/competition history: I ran sprints in track during high school and played football as well. Fort the past two years I have trained BJJ, but I have been out for months since COVID hit. I plan on training BJJ for life.

Goals: Long-term I want to stay strong and healthy for BJJ and for myself. I plan on incorporating the Naked Warrior with Simple and Sinister and I would like to use these as my strength program alongside my BJJ training. Currently, I would like to become more flexible (I am also working on the Relax Into Stretch program), complete the Simple challenge, and work my way up to perform one pistol squat and one OAPU.

Please let me know if I am missing anything and thanks in advance.

Here are the links to my TGU and Swing:

TGU - When in the 1/2 kneeling position, keep your big toe engaged with the deck (in dorsiflexion) for stability. You are practicing with a light bell now, but as you the bell goes up in weight you will need that stability from both of your feet to perform strong, safe reps.

Swing - Be sure to practice with and without the stack of books. Do two sets with and then two sets without, etc...This will help you ease into improving your hip and T-spine mobility.

There is a chance your BJJ practice has resulted in some limited T-Spine mobility and tightness in your shoulders; pecs.

Search YouTube for some mobility drills to practice and open these areas up. Two you could do right away are the "Face the wall squat", and with your kettlebell, the "Halo" (Pavel describes them in Enter the Kettlebell).

All the best.

Pretty solid, @Berserker

To add to Nate's input, swing set-up looks good and your basic swing timing and explosive upswing looks good. Try to hold the standing plank just a bit longer as the bell descends. Also I think you may be lifting just a bit with your arms. A heavier bell will help correct this tendency. The bell should be propelled from hip power. I'm not getting any audio on the video so I'm not sure if you're effectively using the breath, but make sure to inhale on the downswing and exhale forcefully as you extend the hips and knees ("on the hip snap") which is as the bell is coming up through your legs, before it reaches the top of the swing.

On the get-up try to make room to have a slightly wider base -- bring the non-working arm and leg out from your body like a "snow angel".

I think you will do well with your plans and goals! Let us know if we can help further.

@Berserker

Mississippi Fred McDowell, nice choice!

Swing is coming around, breathing is good as well. The area of opportunity I see is in your shoulder packing. Looks like the shoulder isn't locked in at the top of your swing. In some cases, swinging a heavier bell will auto correct this, but you still want to have the awareness and not just hope for the best.

Practice the plank in pushup position. Screw your hands into the ground and really cramp the lats to create a packed shoulder. Then relax, re-engage, and do it again. Try to recognize what that feels like and transfer it to your swing. This stuff takes practice, so keep it going.

Yeah, love the blues! That makes sense, I have a hard time keeping the proper tension in my core and then remembering to properly pack my shoulder. Its definitely challenging to apply all the details to the swing described in S&S.

I have the opposite problem when practicing the one arm push-up. I find it hard to keep my glutes activated throughout the movement.

I will work on the plank position and I am in the process of getting a heavier KB (sold out everywhere).

When the KB is descending in the swing, should I be using my lats to pull the KB down? If so, should it be an explosive movement?

Thank you both!

@Berserker

I have a hard time keeping the proper tension in my core and then remembering to properly pack my shoulder.

You want to set yourself up for success right from the beginning. That is why finding the right "drills" or activations to perform either in daily practice or immediately prior to the "skill" is very important.

You don't want to have to think about compressing your diaphragm or retracting your scapula to keep your shoulder packed. You may be able to get away with it for a few reps, but it won't last, especially when a bit of fatigue sets in. This is why taking the 1-day user course or committing to the 3-day cert is such a game changer. You WILL be fatigued AND still be required to perform the skill safely and properly.

The proper drills will set your body up neurologically to respond appropriately when called upon. That is demonstrated as the skill of tension and relaxation when performing these movements.

When the KB is descending in the swing, should I be using my lats to pull the KB down?
Yes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom