all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing Check 1 and Introduction

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Learneratheart

First Post
Hey everyone, my name is Luke. I just got S&S yesterday and really want to be in this kettlebell game for the long haul, as such, I really want my form to be as good as possible before I even pick up a Kettlebell (and I'm waiting for my rubber flooring to arrive in the mail:D). Anyways, I will be posting videos of myself regularly and would LOVE your feedback!

I'm trying to "fail faster" so that I can improve faster. Thanks for your help!

Looks good so fast, @Learneratheart ! The timing of when your arms move will be different once you add the kettlebell. Let us know how it goes when you get one!

Thank you both!
I have a 9KG and did some left and right swings.
But my biggest problem is in the TGU during my transition from the hinge
to the tall sit on the way down. I don't know if I need to sit more forward
or get my front leg out out the way but as you can see in the video I can't
find a proper place for my shoulder ROFL

Hey everyone, my name is Luke. I just got S&S yesterday and really want to be in this kettlebell game for the long haul, as such, I really want my form to be as good as possible before I even pick up a Kettlebell (and I'm waiting for my rubber flooring to arrive in the mail:D). Anyways, I will be posting videos of myself regularly and would LOVE your feedback!

I'm trying to "fail faster" so that I can improve faster. Thanks for your help!

Here are four drill or focal points that helped me a lot to get the swing "right" (work in progress).

a) Power breathing and planking.

And have a look at the way @Brett Jones sets up for his wings (power breathing)

Prescription: Try to to get a tight plank by power breathing, again and again throughout the day. Shake it off inbetween "reps"! At first this might make you sore or tight. This kind of explosive breathing is very important for proper swing mechanics and posture at the top.

b) Touch the Wall Hinges

Have a look at Mr. Dan John introducing this drill. You stand tall, and reach back with you butt until you touch the wall. Increase the distance. Ti will teach you how to hinge back.

Also check this vid and the dowel drill:

Prescription: To touch the wall hinges again and again. Play with tempo. Do some slow and controlled and then do some, where you drop back very quickly and bounce back again to the plank position, especially with a dowel on the back.

c) Vertical Jumps
Do a couple of vertical jumps. 1-3 at a time, and film yourself. This will teach you a couple of things: First of all you might find your proper foot positioning after a couple of jumps. And you will find that you will bend your knees more, which might be important for proper mechanics, especially with heavier bells.

Please read this article on more knee bend:

And this one, too, this time on foot placement:

d) Waiting in the swing
Further, a swing consists of waiting in a strong plank, interrupted by a quick hinge, only to return as quickly as possible to a strong plank. Ideally, wou wait until the bell forces your body to yield. You are hinging back before the bell "hits" your body. This will be more critical with a heavier bell, so start practicing with at least a 16 kg :)

When you keep the arms close to the body (the forearms connected to your hip) you will transmit the power of the hinge directly to the arms. Therefore, you will not need to lift the arms actively.

Practice the three drills mentioned above. And once you are practicing with bells, please refer to this article by @Pavel Macek and the four-count swing, wich will help you with integrating the drill into your swings.

specific to your Get-up question—When you reach for the ground you need to "slide/reach" out further (a spine length away from the knee) and this will create the space you need to keep the shoulder connected on the way down.
Also externally rotating the shoulder (twisting the tricep into the lat) will connect the shoulder better.

The kettlebell you're using in the swing is too light to get a feel for it. Do you have a heavier one? Ideally - practice kettlebell deadlift with 24kg for at least a few sessions. Read ALL the instructions in S&S on kettlebell deadlift. This will clear up at least 75% of what can go wrong with a swing. THEN.... go to 2H swing with 16, 20, or 24kg. Practice 2H swing for several weeks. THEN.... move on the 1H swing with 16kg, then advance from there to 24kg and higher.

Good job so far! Keep after it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom