all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Buffalo

Level 5 Valued Member

Looking for a swing critique. But more importantly I noticed my shoulders are not packed. But I also added the video showing how short my arms are compared to my torso. If it wasnt for my shorts being tight on the back swing, I would end up cup checking myself. Even when doing the silver back stance my wrist come to my waist line.
Is this a case of I'm probably not built for swings, and need to stick with deadlifting.
Thanks for all the feed back
@Steve Freides

Those look like good swings to me. As with many of us, you could try to get into your hips a bit more by sitting back a bit more at the bottom, but your swing is explosive, it's safe.

You're right that you could pack your shoulders more, and try to use your lats to connect your arms with the rest of your body. I'd start working on that by starting with the bell a few inches closer to you because you have to give up your shoulder packing just to reach the bell on the ground. You might even find that tilting the bell handle towards you will shorten the reach enough.

-S-

A good visual below, from this article: The SFG Clock—A Guide for the Swing, Clean and Snatch | StrongFirst

To get closer to that image, add a bit more knee bend, and let the kettlebell be at 8:00 in the backswing. You're doing a GREAT job delaying the hinge!! -- but almost too good, because you're letting the backswing fold you forward with straight-ish legs, which makes the kettlebell want to go to 9:00. Sitting back into the hinge helps to maintain the position below. Then, the forward drive will feel a bit different, with power transferred through the lever of your body to make the bell move, rather than directly from the hips... (further discussed in this thread: Form check )

Also you're leaning back a bit at the top of the swing on reps 4-9, which has the potential to aggravate the lower back... watch in slow motion and you can see it better. You go beyond vertical then back to vertical.
upload_2019-9-10_15-13-43.png

Anyway, nice explosive swings! Great job... hope your training continues to go well. :)

@Anna C I am always hesitant about bending the knees. When I do, I lose the tension in the glutes/hams. I guess I've done to many straight leg deadlifts. Thanks for the tips, and I will try and adjust.
Also, thanks for the compliment on being explosive. I have the power, it's the conditioning I have to work on!!

@Buffalo, there's an important distinction to be made here. When you bend your knees by letting them come forward, you can lose tension in posterior chain. But if you keep your shins vertical or nearly so, then trying to get into your hips more _requires_ you to bend your knees. It's either that or have your thighs grow longer. :)

-S-

@Anna C I am always hesitant about bending the knees. When I do, I lose the tension in the glutes/hams. I guess I've done to many straight leg deadlifts.

I see what you're saying... (experimenting with unloaded hinge with little knee bend, shifting to more knee bend, hamstrings tend to have less tension) ... but I think they will have adequate tension when loaded in the swing, if you allow the kettlebell to load the bottom of the hinge.

For example, practice jumping with your hands on your hamstrings. You will feel them tensed up at the bottom of the jump.

Now get in that same bottom of the jump position without moving... hamstrings can be closer to relaxed.

So, you have some control over it more than just the position you're in. Does that make sense?

Edit/Add: Plus, as @Steve Freides said... having the hips BACK while you bend the knees will also keep adequate tension.

I understand what you both mean now with the knee bend and hips back!! I watch @Pavel Macek video and it really hit the nail on the head. Going to do some sets of his 4 part swings tonight and before my morning session.
Cant wait to dial in my swings a little more!

@Steve Freides @Anna C
Thanks again for the tips. Worked on hinging a little earlier, sitting back more, and really worked hard on getting the shoulders more is place. Still feels a little odd and haven't really put full power in the swings, but I can feel the better stability in my upper body when I swing and getup! Monday I will get back to a more powerful swing!
Plan on getting to simple before I start working on deadlifts. But I can feel the difference in where my form was already. I believe I will pr easily after I get my dl technique dialed in for a safer pull!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom