all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Need a little better lockout but otherwise nice and crisp.

-S-

Two different things, really, although it's possible a better lockout - yours isn't bad, btw, just could be better - would bring the bell a little higher, but how high you swing the bell is mostly a matter of how high you intend to swing the bell.

-S-

Bobby,
your swing finish at the top is to "stiff" with the arms - over doing the lat connection at the top and getting into a "t-rex" swing (upper arms pinned to ribs but bending at the elbows)
At the top of the swing when the hips finish the arms with get "popped" off the ribs so the arms form a straight line back to the shoulder(s) and the body forms a straight line - then you wait (hold the lockout) for the KB and arms to reconnect to the ribs and hinge again

The thing that stands out to me is exactly what Brett said. A phase I've seen Brett use is, "Enjoy the float."

Another reason I don't like having bent arms at the top is elbow health. Letting the bell pull a bent elbow straight under partial tension is a recipe for elbow tendinitis. After your initial hike pass to start the set, you never allow your arms to straighten on the down swing, so your elbows are not getting pulled straight as I described above. However, as you progress to heavier bells and, especially, one arm swings, you probably won't be able to maintain this.

Some people may be able to swing with a bend in the elbow at the top and avoid this problem (IIRC Geoff Neupert does) by making sure there is no tension in the arm when it gets pulled straight, or actively straightening the arm before it comes under tension on the down swing. However, I recommend against it because it is just one more moving part that doesn't really offer a benefit and can potentially lead to injury if you don't get it right.

By the way, this is also an issue on cleans, where the elbow obviously HAS to be bent at the top and the arm straightens on the drop, as well as on snatches where the elbow breaks on the drop from overhead and then straightens on the back swing. In both those lifts, having partial tension in the bent elbow when it gets pulled straight by the bell is a potential trouble spot.

don't forget to squeeze the glutes and abs..

tighten up quickly then hike the bell back for your next rep..

you'll also be able to produce more power ny allowing your knees to slightly bend more but still emphasizing sticking your butt back..

just keep practicing and make the necessary connections, you'll definitely improve

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom