all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anth

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,
I’m Working towards timeless simple right now. Please let me know how my swings look and what I need to work on. Also, please let me know if either my right or left is better.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
IMHO
could be the pants...but my first impression is that legs need to be stronger and more 'feet into the ground', looks a bit soft/wobbly.
But I like how you find the grip -two hand to one hand.

Your hinge looks very shallow—try to sit into the hinge deeper (more like your KB deadlift).
It looks like you are "swinging to the middle" instead of having definitive contact between the same side forearm and inner thigh—you are swinging to the middle and getting rotated.

A great swing to make progress from.

Your hinge looks very shallow—try to sit into the hinge deeper (more like your KB deadlift).
It looks like you are "swinging to the middle" instead of having definitive contact between the same side forearm and inner thigh—you are swinging to the middle and getting rotated.

A great swing to make progress from.
Thank you. I was wondering about the rotation.

You're not swinging very explosively. Think about launching the kettlebell out in front of you on the upswing, as if, if you let it go as you're coming to the top of the swing, it would fly out in front of you as far as possible.

The swing looks "double pump" to me, something GS athletes do.

-S-

Girevoy Sport - someone else might be able to explain in more detail.

talks about the difference. What the woman in the video is visible as a double pump - you can see essentially two knee bends for each swing. You're not doing exactly that, but what I see in common is that you're moving with the bell and we are essentially trying to make it move the way we want it to move, waiting until the last moment to break at the hips on the downswing, and then exploding it back up, letting it float up, letting it float down, and repeating the cycle.

Hope this helps.

-S-

And ignore the "which one's better" at the end. As the video shows, they're quite different in intent, in training goals and training effects, and all that.

-S-

That swing comparison video .....would people say that was a hardstyle swing?
Those t-rex arms? Nodding/jerky head? So hardstyle perhaps but not SF?

That swing comparison video .....would people say that was a hardstyle swing?
Those t-rex arms? Nodding/jerky head? So hardstyle perhaps but not SF?

It's a hardstyle swing, yes. And it's perfectly safe and OK. Now, if he was asking for a swing critique and wanted to dial in on StrongFirst techniques, my input would be to make the following minor tweaks: 1) point the toes out slightly instead of straight ahead, 2) get the hips a little lower in the start position, and tip the kettlebell towards him so it's an extension of the arms in one straight line, 3) add more knee bend in the backswing so there's more of a "jump" power position rather than getting all the power from hip extension, 4) project power forward a bit more so the bell pulls the arms straighter to get rid of the t-rex arms, 5) eyes more on the horizon so there's not a head-leading-downward motion at the start of the backswing (really minor item and more of a personal preference on my part).

His knees do sort of scoop forward on the upswing which is still a bit "GS" although not nearly as much as KBFitBritt's GS style swing. It's a combination of timing and movement that causes the knee scooping, but mainly an intentional loading of the hinge in the bottom position and forceful and coordinated movement of the lower body to the plank position - body leading the bell movement - that fixes it... if that is one's intention.

Reactions: ali
Hello,
Please tell me if you see any improvement. All of a sudden my swings feel like they have some strength to them.

Thank you

Hello,
Please tell me if you see any improvement. All of a sudden my swings feel like they have some strength to them.

I do see an improvement! They look explosive now, and solid. Nice work.

Keep it up -- always seeking tighter setup, more focus, more explosiveness, tighter plank, more precision, more alignment, better recovery, etc... Every session is a practice.

I do see an improvement! They look explosive now, and solid. Nice work.

Keep it up -- always seeking tighter setup, more focus, more explosiveness, tighter plank, more precision, more alignment, better recovery, etc... Every session is a practice.
Thank you!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom