all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing Question: Why don't we exhale through nose?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I’ve heard both my Qi Gong teacher and Steve Maxwell state that one should not create tension to the neck or throat when breathing. This statement is most likely not what regular Ujjayi is about, but I wouldn’t attempt to create a ”power breathing” version of it.

I wanted to return to this point once more since I happened to watch a review on the YouTube Channel "Lebe Stark" (seems to be a little known here as well). He was reviewing one of Pavels newer videos which included the "Darth Vader" breath, which is a term we sometimes also jokingly use to describe Ujjayi in Yoga Sessions. And constricting breath by using the vocal folds seems to be what both are about. So maybe it is a Pavel approved method after all? Anyone who owns the newer material and could confirm that?

I wanted to return to this point once more since I happened to watch a review on the YouTube Channel "Lebe Stark" (seems to be a little known here as well). He was reviewing one of Pavels newer videos which included the "Darth Vader" breath, which is a term we sometimes also jokingly use to describe Ujjayi in Yoga Sessions. And constricting breath by using the vocal folds seems to be what both are about. So maybe it is a Pavel approved method after all? Anyone who owns the newer material and could confirm that?
I own the new material. Pavel does indeed recommend so called 'Darth Vader' breathing, also known as 'breathing behind the shield'. It is the breathing technique for use in conjunction with TGU.

Hope that helps.

Maybe you want to check a guy named Brian Mackenzie on instagram or youtube. He has a complete approach to nasal breathing, explaining it through 'gears'. Where you apply nose only, nose/mouth or just mouth.

When my child is sleeping I am all nasal breathing without decreasing my performance (i am at simple level). Though, when i exhale through the mouth I feel a bit more powerful. But it's just a feeling most od the time.

Hope it helps!

Maybe you want to check a guy named Brian Mackenzie on instagram or youtube. He has a complete approach to nasal breathing, explaining it through 'gears'. Where you apply nose only, nose/mouth or just mouth.

When my child is sleeping I am all nasal breathing without decreasing my performance (i am at simple level). Though, when i exhale through the mouth I feel a bit more powerful. But it's just a feeling most od the time.

Hope it helps!
Really helps. The fact that you are nasal breathing at Simple is also fully impressive. Thanks!

Somewhat related and maybe informative for some - In competitive swimming, I often have to re-teach breathing even in high school age kids. When the face in the water, there is a natural tendency to tense the chest and hold your breath. As a swimmer, that added tension of breath holding is a killer when you are trying to swim fast and/or for long periods. The only time there is a brief valsalva breath hold is on the start (explosive effort off the blocks) and when driving off the wall when turning. Other than those times, when the face is underwater you should be exhaling through the mouth and sometimes through both the mouth and nose (backstroke may be the only exception to this general rule), and when the face is out of the water you should be inhaling as much as possible through the mouth.

Has Peter Lakatos chimed in? He would be the a great resource here.

I’m a breathing instructor Buteyko and Ocygen Advantage and HeartMath. I love this topic and clarifying how we breathe and why.
Ultimately we want to breathe calm and how we breathe at rest is different than during activity. And not all activity it the same. The mouth should not be the primary breathing route squats, carries, running, get ups, etc. Also, the biomechanical breathing standard can be done with nasal breathing. It takes additional training of the diaphragm and respiratory system, and biochemistry to support it. But the Oxygen Advantage system does not single out and prohibit all mouth breathing, all the time. It depends on the person and the intent and goal of the training session.
Again I’d love to hear Peter’s perspective as he has great knowledge and experience in both breath work and StrongFirst. (Did he chime in?)

Has Peter Lakatos chimed in? He would be the a great resource here.

I’m a breathing instructor Buteyko and Ocygen Advantage and HeartMath. I love this topic and clarifying how we breathe and why.
Ultimately we want to breathe calm and how we breathe at rest is different than during activity. And not all activity it the same. The mouth should not be the primary breathing route squats, carries, running, get ups, etc. Also, the biomechanical breathing standard can be done with nasal breathing. It takes additional training of the diaphragm and respiratory system, and biochemistry to support it. But the Oxygen Advantage system does not single out and prohibit all mouth breathing, all the time. It depends on the person and the intent and goal of the training session.
Again I’d love to hear Peter’s perspective as he has great knowledge and experience in both breath work and StrongFirst. (Did he chime in?)
I do not believe he has chimed in yet, but I, also, would very much value his opinion.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom