all posts post new thread

Kettlebell swing question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JohnC

Level 4 Valued Member
Good afternoon,
I am new to the forum and was told that I should post this training question. My son is 23 and runs cross country and has no knee problems. When he does KB swings he feels very uncomfortable on the outside
of his right knee. Not so much a pain but very uncomfortable. My question is has anyone experienced this and if so was it due to stance of foot placement/toe direction?
Thank you ,
John

I haven't experience that kind of pain. I'd stop and check with a doc for a medical reason and SFG for a form check. this is one amazing place on the internet but professional help would be a better option.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, had his knee checked. A little tendonitis once upon a time. I'm thinking he is too foreward on his feet. We've had no formal training just Pavel's videos & books. Yes, this site is fantastic. I hope to learn alot.

Have you tried a massage or foam rolling on and around the glutes of the side with discomfort?

Since he was already cleared medically start with @Antti @GeoffreyLevens suggestions. Make sure good hip (and ankle) mobility. Get a movement screen (FMS or some other movement baseline of your choice) to make sure no movement quality dysfunction are present.

If your son is following S&S make sure he is not skipping movement prep. Halos at tall-kneeling and half-kneeling are good S&S prep variation to facilitate good lumbar-pelvic-hip alignment.

Whatever path you choose (and hands-on trusted and qualified professional is best) make sure he does not swing with uncomfortable feeling in his knees (or anywhere else for that matter). If he will, injury is probably more a question of when rather than if...

Where are you located?
there may be a local SFG that could get things going well with a session or two

Or there are those that offer on-line training via Skype, FaceTime etc... and might be able to help from a distance

Since he was already cleared medically start with @Antti @GeoffreyLevens suggestions. Make sure good hip (and ankle) mobility. Get a movement screen (FMS or some other movement baseline of your choice) to make sure no movement quality dysfunction are present.

If your son is following S&S make sure he is not skipping movement prep. Halos at tall-kneeling and half-kneeling are good S&S prep variation to facilitate good lumbar-pelvic-hip alignment.

Whatever path you choose (and hands-on trusted and qualified professional is best) make sure he does not swing with uncomfortable feeling in his knees (or anywhere else for that matter). If he will, injury is probably more a question of when rather than if...
Thank you! Great advice!

Where are you located?
there may be a local SFG that could get things going well with a session or two

Or there are those that offer on-line training via Skype, FaceTime etc... and might be able to help from a distance
We live in the Memphis,Tn area. I just found someone on the site . I'm thinking "hands on" by someone certified is gonna be the way to go. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the Forum to both you and your son.

Foot/Ankle
What about footwear (barefoot I hope), ankle stability, foot arch? Without seeing him first hand I'd want to look at his deadlift first, to see if he maintains a good foot arch in all stages - set up, pull, lower. If not, work on it with deadlifts till he has that stability.

Knee/Hip
Then look at whether his knee is staying tracked with his toes...second one I'd suggest (not the big toe) during his deadlift first, then single swings, to then progressive swings. If not, that can be an external hip rotation challenge that can be addressed. Activate with some banded deadlift hinge holds, helping his brain feel the difference between tracked and not tracked. Then take that to the deadlift practice.

From the side...are his knees moving much backwards and forwards (scooping - or camel riding)? Is he squatting the swing at all? If so, and you've fixed the first things, try elevating the balls of his feet a little to see if that helps.

And see an SFG in your area or reach out to one of us who does online coaching.

Good luck!!
Martine

Thanks so much to everyone and it is a combo of sevrral things. Insufficient warmup, bad form ,foot wear and bad coaching from me. Seems I skipped several things while teaching him (Teacher shd be s student not a teacher). Thank you all.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom