all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing review request

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Looking pretty good to me.

The timing is on point.

Two things that you might want to work on:

1. Hollow body or fighter stance at the top. You seem to be leaning back a bit from the lower back. I have found this article to be helpful:
How to Avoid Injury and Maximize Strength by Correcting Rib Flare | StrongFirst
Maybe do a couple of power breathing hiss hiss hiss hiss per day to get a feel for the positioning.

2. Posterior Chain mobility, especially hamstrings. Your hinge could probably be deeper and you lower back looks somewhat rounded in your setup.
I would recommend reading Relax into Stretch (and watching the video of it - I think it should be on amazon). Personally I have used the standing good morning stretch with a kb behind me (from Flexible Steel) and then did some contract-relax in this setup, combined with some prying movements here and there (usually 3 sets, 3x per week). I would often follow this with 2-3 light deadlifts (12-16 kg) in the newfound ROM.

Last edited:
@nish1013, looks pretty good but I would say 1) get tighter, from your setup and on through the set, and 2) don't try to push the bell directly with your hips; the force transfer should be mostly indirect; i.e. ideally your hip and knee extension transfers up through your moving torso to your shoulders, arms, and the bell, and that's what makes it go forward, not a direct push from hips to forearms.

@nish1013, looks pretty good but I would say 1) get tighter, from your setup and on through the set, and 2) don't try to push the bell directly with your hips; the force transfer should be mostly indirect; i.e. ideally your hip and knee extension transfers up through your moving torso to your shoulders, arms, and the bell, and that's what makes it go forward, not a direct push from hips to forearms.

That's a really good point. The description of swings along the lines of "power from the hips" and "projecting force forward" was pretty misleading for me because it led to a disintegration of my hip movement if that makes sense.

@Anna C wow! I have been trying swings since 2013 , this is the first time I hear this golden rule “don't try to push the bell directly with your hips” thank you very much. I have been always trying push from my hips !

I tried this variation without using hike , does it looks any better ?

I tried this variation without using hike , does it looks any better ?

Yeah, those look great! Add even more power and get that bell popping up to chest height... I know you have it in you. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom