all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing technique check (movie)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Piotr

Level 1 Valued Member
I am a beginner starting S&S program. Please verify my swing technique. The move feels quite natural to me. Am I doing it right?

Here is Youtube Video:

Well I'll give it a shot. The main things I see:
- the bell looks really low at the bottom, because you are breaking,sinking backward with the hips too early. Wait for the bell longer. Think of catching it with your hips.
- keep the lats engaged(pull the shoulders away from your ears), especially at the bottom. A little more lat will help you float the bell better meaning it won't be so far away from you at the top and it will be headed straight up and not be pulling you forwards.

Keep it up!

Thanks Travis, this two points (hips breaking point and lats engagement) make sense to me - I'll try to experiment with them during my next training.

There's one thing I recognize simply because it's something I've personally been working on. I think your upper body comes down to far. Your shoulder is at the same height from the floor as your glutes at the bottom. The good news? This change will actually make the swing easier (unlike other changes that sometimes make the swing harder for a while). Notice that after your rear end stops moving back, you continue to fold forward. Once you have loaded your hips by sinking back into them as far as you will, the extra range of motion is really just stretching the hamstrings more which isn't necessary (any SFG's reading, please correct this if its wrong).
I'm not skilled enough to feel comfortable giving positive feedback that is accurate, but to my limited experience trying to show other people the swing, that is very good and crisp. You are on the right track and since it feels natural, you will probably respond to cues well. Keep at it!

Thank you for your comment. I will take advice and post another form check within a month, maybe with heavier kettlebell :) this one is 16kg (35 pounds)

+1 the previous comments.

@jca17, good catch. It's not just the angle of the torso, but (as you point out) the timing. The torso coming forward and the hips going backward should finish at the same time.

A couple of other things:
--Bell dropping too low/hips breaking too early/arms not well connected to the torso. These are all related. Delay the hip hinge, aim the bell at the crotch so it ends up going throught the triangle between the crotch and knees (above knee level), and get those arms locked down to the torso.
--It looks like you are reaching forward on the upswing, or letting the bell pull your shoulders forward. Keep the shoulders retracted at the top. "Plank up" at the top (shoulders down, lats flexed, abs brace, glutes flexed, kneecaps pulled up).

musisz poczekać aż spadnie kettlebell, dłużej, jest za wysoko a powinien być bliżej jajców:) mam wrażenie też że przytrzymujesz kulę zanim spadnie, spróbuj ją bardziej prowadzić bliżej ciała. Myślę że jest kula też za lekka :)

Dzięki :) Trochę minie czasu aż zastosuje i zautomatyzuje wszystkie wskazówki. Już zamówiłem ketla 24 kg :) Poprawię technikę i za miesiąc wrzucę kolejny filmik.

On the video it looks like your feet need to point more to the front. On the StrongFirst YouTube video swings start at 3:30 and you can see how the feet point to the front.

You can also see the feet are to the front on this video that was in the Russia post. Both of them raise the heel of their foot which I do not think is correct.

you can't compare sport kettle bells with fitness kettle bells (i.e strong first) ;P

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom