all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing & TGU Form Check (newb)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've been reflecting on the differences I feel on the good reps, and am curious if these nuances resonate with anyone else:
  • In the past, my mental image of the bell's trajectory was that of a pendulum, thinking of my body as powering the arc on the way up, and guiding the arc on the way down and back -- this leads me to folding forward at the waist rather then focusing on hinging glutes back
  • Now, when it feels and looks more 'right', I notice I'm doing much more what I've read but took a while to understand kinesthetically, which is transitioning between two very strong positions (ready-to-jump position <> standing plank), and the bell happens to pendulum as a byproduct of transitioning between these two positions in a powerful and controlled way
  • So the new metaphor I've left with is that in the swing, I'm actually not the fulcrum of a pendulum -- I'm actually more like a catapult or trebuchet with a retractable cannonball! My job is to load the catapult with as much potential energy as possible (on the hike and backswing, which also means being patient), then FIRE the catapult (starting from my rooted feet, up my legs, and through the glutes -- sending the bell's force on a diagonal vector out of the hole forward, only surging upward due to the cannonball being tethered), then absorbing the force of the shot without compromising my structural integrity, and finishing with a conscious reloading of the catapult in the hole to prepare for the next shot.
  • This approach also makes me realize that on the backswing, the path of force to return to the hole is actually a diagonal path of force rather than an arc
  • When I do in fact send my glutes back and not over-bend the back, the bell in the hole feels like I've actually only brought the bell down into a hole, but in reality, it is in fact back behind me; I think for months I avoided this sensation for fear of producing a 'squaty' swing, but it simply isn't the case when I watch playback
  • So all in all, the range of motion is perhaps simpler than I have been making it! (load > fire > absorb; rinse repeat)
I never thought I'd have so much to say on the subject, but welcome any thoughts as to where this may ring true to other's experiences or is perhaps askew.

Very best,
Z

Last edited:
I've been reflecting on the differences I feel on the good reps, and am curious if these nuances resonate with anyone else:
  • In the past, my mental image of the bell's trajectory was that of a pendulum, thinking of my body as powering the arc on the way up, and guiding the arc on the way down and back -- this leads me to folding forward at the waist rather then focusing on hinging glutes back
  • Now, when it feels and looks more 'right', I notice I'm doing much more what I've read but took a while to understand kinesthetically, which is transitioning between two very strong positions (ready-to-jump position <> standing plank), and the bell happens to pendulum as a byproduct of transitioning between these two positions in a powerful and controlled way
  • So the new metaphor I've left with is that in the swing, I'm actually not the fulcrum of a pendulum -- I'm actually more like a catapult or trebuchet with a retractable cannonball! My job is to load the catapult with as much potential energy as possible (on the hike and backswing, which also means being patient), then FIRE the catapult (starting from my rooted feet, up my legs, and through the glutes), then absorbing the force of the shot without compromising my structural integrity, and finishing with a conscious reloading of the catapult in the hole to prepare for the next shot.
  • This approach also makes me realize that on the backswing, the path of force to return to the hole is actually a diagonal path of force rather than an arc
  • When I do in fact send my glutes back and not over-bend the back, the bell in the hole feels like I've actually only brought the bell down into a hole, but in reality, it is in fact back behind me; I think for months I avoided this sensation for fear of producing a 'squaty' swing, but it simply isn't the case when I watch playback
  • So all in all, the range of motion is perhaps simpler than I have been making it!
I never thought I'd have so much to say on the subject, but welcome any thoughts as to where this may ring true to other's experiences or is perhaps askew.

Very best,
Z

Excellent descriptions about the swing! Possibly one of the best analysis of of the movement and physics that I have ever read, really.

I have in mind to write an article someday about the physics or mechanics of the kettlebell swing. What actually powers the movement of the kettlebell, etc.. The body produces force into the ground with hip and knee extension, shoulders move up and back, kettlebell propelled up and forward by the trebouchet action... that sort of thing, like you've written. My weakness is the actual physics description. Maybe someday I'll gather the knowledge and analysis I need to pull it all together. Anyway, glad to see that someone else thinks like me.

@Anna C that means so much coming from you! I'm thrilled my musings struck a chord, and your article concept sounds like a great addition to the literature; I'll stay tuned :)

Excellent insights..

There will always be a dozen descriptions and none of them are wrong.. I always say cues, analogies, visualizations are like suits.. They must fit the individual perfectly

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom