all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing & TGU Form Check (newb)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kazz

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi SF Crew,

I recently attended an all-day SF Kettlebell Foundations training, and have been practicing on my own to gain competency in the basic moves before starting S&S in earnest (hopefully in April).

My first time posting or sharing form videos (attached) -- would welcome any feedback on the swing or getup!

-- My self assessment after watching these back would be:
  • Swing: neck is kinked at bottom, should aim to keep more neutral; also may not be getting my glutes back far enough on the backswing/hikepass (after the first rep)
  • Get up: ankles look like they keep ending up too close to my glutes putting my knee in weird positions; overshooting some of my hand positions as well
Overall I'm feeling progress with the movements, I have experienced some minor knee tenderness following my sessions (not something I've ever had before) that subsides after a day or so, but hoping at the moment it's due to form issues and/or getting used to KB's in general, coming from a de-conditioned state.

** One last question -- as I transition from standing plank to the hikepass, should I stop bracing the abs at any point or should they basically remain engaged for the whole set? (I notice when I keep them braced to a certain degree for the whole set I feel much more connected and safe for my back, but wanted to confirm).

Thanks for your help!

Looks good, @kazz !

Swing looks basically good. Focus on getting really tight in the standing plank. Move up in weight when ready. Get-ups look solid.

If you can find hard floor, it's much better than carpet. Especially for swings. You want solid contact with your feet and a hard surface so you can produce force against something that doesn't compress.

Yes, knees and other things will feel some adaptations, but shouldn't get worse with training. Just keep after it and your body will adapt. But if you do have worsening soreness or tweaks -- re-check form, back off volume or weight progression, optimize recovery (nutrition, sleep).

Abs should be engaged for the whole set, but especially focused as you come into and hold the standing plank.

getup: good overall.. your heel swivels as you descend into the tall sit.. If you can go slower and adjust your foot placement (usually move it a bit forward) problem is fixed

swing : fix your eyes on a target but its also good overall

Hey Kazz, I'm also new as you can
see by my recent post. So I don't
have any tips but I do have a question haha

I wanted to ask about why you switch
the position of your front knee instead of windshield-wipering
the back knee from the kneeling position in the TGU? Is this an adaptation to
work around something specific to you?

Thanks man!

I wanted to ask about why you switch
the position of your front knee instead of windshield-wipering
the back knee from the kneeling position in the TGU? Is this an adaptation to
work around something specific to you?
This is an acceptable getup variation. Some knees don't like the windshield wiper, so this is an alternative. I'd venture to say that a significant percentage of StrongFirst folks use this variation now.

-S-

Hi SF Crew,

I recently attended an all-day SF Kettlebell Foundations training, and have been practicing on my own to gain competency in the basic moves before starting S&S in earnest (hopefully in April).

My first time posting or sharing form videos (attached) -- would welcome any feedback on the swing or getup!

-- My self assessment after watching these back would be:
  • Swing: neck is kinked at bottom, should aim to keep more neutral; also may not be getting my glutes back far enough on the backswing/hikepass (after the first rep)
  • Get up: ankles look like they keep ending up too close to my glutes putting my knee in weird positions; overshooting some of my hand positions as well
Overall I'm feeling progress with the movements, I have experienced some minor knee tenderness following my sessions (not something I've ever had before) that subsides after a day or so, but hoping at the moment it's due to form issues and/or getting used to KB's in general, coming from a de-conditioned state.

** One last question -- as I transition from standing plank to the hikepass, should I stop bracing the abs at any point or should they basically remain engaged for the whole set? (I notice when I keep them braced to a certain degree for the whole set I feel much more connected and safe for my back, but wanted to confirm).

Thanks for your help!

Z!
So happy to see you on the forum, honored that we had you in class, and you're in awesome company with Anna C, Mark, and Steve :) (Auguri Auguri Steve! Happy Happy Birthday by the way) :)

Get-Up:

Remember to use the FLOOR to press away from, especially in the initial roll to the elbow and to your tall sit. This will create force and help you create and maintain tension in your body. (Anna also referenced this and makes an awesome point about the benefits of a solid surface when available).

In the 1/4 Get-Up (to the elbow) and to the Tall-Sit, aim to have your knee track your 2-3 toes, like we learned in the Goblet Squat, to engage your glutei in helping you press away from the floor, creating safer angles for your ankles, knees, and hips, and optimizing use of your structure.

AWESOME job loading your hip when transitioning to and from lunge! :)

Breathe behind the Shield (the one we practiced with nasal inhale, brace, and "darth vader like" exhale to keep some breath and brace in the trunk, maintaining tension to protect your spine and the integrity of your posture while moving. That's a long way of saying, YES! Keep them braced as you continue to breath behind the shield. You can save your power breaths for moments when you need more tension and/or ballistics.

In the final roll down from elbow to the floor, remember to press away from the floor through your elbow and forearm, which will help keep your shoulder in a safe position and lats engaged....LATS! :)

Swing:
Yes, getting deeper into your hips will create a more athletic hinge (it's in there! I witnessed it in person last month!) ;) ..... You can explore this in different ways.
Before you approach the KB, take a few standing jumps in place.
a. Start as if you were practicing a deadlift or swing
b. Breathe in about 60%, brace, and reaching back with your arms, pull down into the bottom position of a vertical jump (remember all of that sensory goodness in those feet?), hips pushing back to 8 o'clock!
c. When ready to jump, sip off a bit more air while keeping tension in your trunk and lats, and EXPLODE your hips forward as your body leaps off the ground. Rinse and repeat 2-3 times (keep your effort light-medium; this is priming you for your swing)....and shake it out (Fast & Loose).
d. Now, address your KB and that bottom position of your jump is your backswing; try and replicate that.

2. A more simple cue that might work instead of the fun jumping exploration above is to set up as you've been practicing, get hands on KB, and now, bend your knees as you reach your hips back a smidge more until you feel like you're spreading the floor and it's going to split beneath you....NOW you're connected to the floor, your posterior chain (especially hamstrings!), and hips loaded, ready to explode forward in your swing :)

And sidenote, excellent job remembering your biomechanics breath (exhaling using your power breath!) in your swing video!

:)

- Thanks so much @Steve Freides for the warm welcome!

- @Learneratheart yup, as Steve shared, I learned this variation at the training and have adopted it whenever I'm on an un-ideal surface like a carpet (after having given myself rug burn a few times, lol).

- @Analisa Naldi this feedback is pure gold, thank you for all the que's and nuances -- looking forward to sharing progress down the line.

Z

Hi SF Crew, I hope this finds you all safe and sheltering well.

It's been 2 months since my first share, and while there have been lots of one-step-forward-two-steps-back-ing, I wanted to circle up and post an update -- after attempting to work your first round of comments into my practice.

OK, some updated form check videos for ya, I welcome any and all feedback:
  • Swings w/ 24kg (6th set)

• Getups w/ 24kg (3rd set)

• Getups w/ 16kg (4th set, incredible how light the 16 feels after reps with the 24!)

All the best,
Z

PS. These forums have been an incredible resource that I've been pouring over; thank you all for the years of wisdom shared.

Much improved.. your persistence has paid off..

A few things I would now work on

Swing, allow a little more knee bend and let the knees come forward a bit (still tracking the toes) to allow more power output

Getup, just make the movement a bit tighter by slowing down a little..

Again really good work you put

Great work! It's awesome to see someone apply advice and get better with practice.

I agree with @Mark Limbaga, allow just a little more knee bend with the swings. Resist the forward fold just a bit so you don't come so close to horizontal at the bottom. Might also try narrowing your stance just a bit. Work towards most of your power coming in the first part of the upswing. Looking good!

Getups are really nice.

@Mark Limbaga & @Anna C -- thank you so much for the words of encouragement -- as well as the new feedback and cues!

In playing with a slightly narrower stance and attempting to allow more knee bend / less upsidedown-ness, I could definitely feel a difference on certain reps that felt more 'right'. Almost as if by resisting the downward pull off the bell as it descends with my contracted back to keep the bottom angle closer to that of a jump, my whole body felt more connected to the bell and pulled bowstring tight at the bottom.

~ Is that the right feeling to chase? Here's a quick set just to see if I'm on the right track -- reps 2 and 3 in particular:

Very best,
Z

@Mark Limbaga & @Anna C -- thank you so much for the words of encouragement -- as well as the new feedback and cues!

In playing with a slightly narrower stance and attempting to allow more knee bend / less upsidedown-ness, I could definitely feel a difference on certain reps that felt more 'right'. Almost as if by resisting the downward pull off the bell as it descends with my contracted back to keep the bottom angle closer to that of a jump, my whole body felt more connected to the bell and pulled bowstring tight at the bottom.

~ Is that the right feeling to chase? Here's a quick set just to see if I'm on the right track -- reps 2 and 3 in particular:

Very best,
Z

Yes, that's it! Rep 2 looked the best, I can see it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom