all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swings and Carries Combos?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

vegpedlr

Level 6 Valued Member
Looking for fun ways to combine the two on non-lifting days. Goal is conditioning. For some reason, I can't think of a way to combine the two into some sort of fun pattern.

I've found that the ballistic hip hinge develops good explosiveness, and loaded carries develop core stability, both of which carry over well to MTB. I think even the work capacity DJ describes helps as well, though that gets confused with aerobic endurance.

Coupled with some basic strength moves, a la the DMPM, it's a great package. What I want is to separate the swings and carries from strength moves and spend some time on them this off season, but without interfering with the barbell work.

Thoughts?

We used to do this in the lunchtime kettlebell class with @Al Ciampa :

10 swings
Farmer's carry across the gym (either equal or slightly unequal weight in each hand)
5 goblet squats
Farmer's carry back (switch hands from first carry if weight is unequal)
30-60 sec rest; fast & loose

Repeat for 5-10 rounds.

When we have a holiday week or we're between programs, I usually experiment with different fun things like you're suggesting. One of my favorites is to grab a medium bell for snatching and a heavy bell for carries, so something like 28/48. Take both bells with you to one end of the gym, do 10 snatches, carry both bells to the other side of the gym, do a little active recovery and repeat. We'll do this for 30-45 minutes or so with a lot of down time chatting. Great no-pressure workout. You could do the same thing with swings instead of snatching.

10 swings
Farmer's carry across the gym (either equal or slightly unequal weight in each hand)
5 goblet squats

Repeat for 5-10 rounds.
sounds like fun. which weight did you take for the squats?

sounds like fun. which weight did you take for the squats?

Usually the lighter one for goblet squats. When I would have students do it for instance, an average person might do 2H swings with 20kg, carry 20+16kg, goblet squats with 16kg, carry 16+20 back.

Goblet squats are highly dependent on bodyweight... whereas swings are not... So a heavier, slightly stronger person might do 2H swings with 24kg, carry 24+12kg, goblet squats with 12kg, carry 12+24 back.

Usually the lighter one for goblet squats. When I would have students do it for instance, an average person might do 2H swings with 20kg, carry 20+16kg, goblet squats with 16kg, carry 16+20 back.

Goblet squats are highly dependent on bodyweight... whereas swings are not... So a heavier, slightly stronger person might do 2H swings with 24kg, carry 24+12kg, goblet squats with 12kg, carry 12+24 back.
that helps. will give it a try during the next days.
thank you!

10 swings
5 goblet squats

Repeat for 5-10 rounds.
Think I found my go-to summer backyard “play” workout!

Thanks for the ideas, all. I want to separate out the swings and carries from the squats and presses I do on my barbell days. So here is what I did today:

10x10 H2H Swings
Rack Carry (left hand out, switch coming back)
A little walking and staying loose between each set of swings and carry.

Felt good, had a nice rhythm. But I should have worn my HRM to see how my HR responded and the total time. I want to keep it AG, and I might decide to go by time, doing as many sets as I can in 20 or 30 min.

Next question, how to combine this with the rower? One summer I did a BB complex where I did a short carry to the rower and rowed for a couple minutes between sets. It was fun, but tended a bit towards a met con. I'd like to stay more AG.

It's an alliterative "K" sound session, KB, karry, koncept 2, kore.

Hello,

Swing right, then suitcase carry left. Swing left, then suitcase carry right. I would do that for time.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Here is one that I have found to be really "fun" and definitely not appropriate for everyone so use your judgement:

Assuming you are skillful with double kb swings, pick a pair of bells and swing them for a nice long set. I like to do 20 reps. Turn the final rep into a double clean and go straight into a double rack carry. Somewhere around the fifth step, you might feel like you are about to explode. Go "down and back" set the bells down and rest for 10+ minutes. Repeat x3-4.

If you aren't good with double swings you can do 20 "very heavy" two-hand swings, then clean and carry right away. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't feel quite the same.

Blake

I didn't watch the clip, but the barbell deadlift gets my vote for the best ab exercise. If it's not strengthening your abs, put more weight on the bar.

-S-

Another suggestion, N is to be experimented with and will depend on kettelbell weight and level of conditioning. Carrying is your "rest", also to be adjusted depending on your goals:
N snatches R, Waiter carry R
N snatches L, Waiter carry L
N (or a different number) cleans R, rack carry R
N cleans L, rack carry L
N swings R, suitcase carry R
N swings L, suitcase carry L

This is surprisingly tough. Try it with a smaller bell that you think you could use first. If the weight is small enough, this should probably not interfere too much with barbell work.

If you don't stop and have enough ballistics, you will feel it, if that's what you are after. If you take breaks, this will be less glycolytic. Depends ont the goal. Since you are always doing something different, it's fun.

10 swings
5 goblet squats

Repeat for 5-10 rounds.
How many times per week would you recommend a beginner do this routine? And what distance is the farmers walk across the gym? Thanks!

How many times per week would you recommend a beginner do this routine? And what distance is the farmers walk across the gym? Thanks!
I started with once a week (among other things; yoga, spin class, "HIIT class", etc. - This is when all I knew was group fitness classes! ) and after many months, decided I was getting more out of the kettlebell work than the other stuff, quit the rest and started doing it 3x/week and got better results! Farmers walk was about 50 ft. each way.

Looking for fun ways to combine the two on non-lifting days. Goal is conditioning. For some reason, I can't think of a way to combine the two into some sort of fun pattern.

I've found that the ballistic hip hinge develops good explosiveness, and loaded carries develop core stability, both of which carry over well to MTB. I think even the work capacity DJ describes helps as well, though that gets confused with aerobic endurance.

Coupled with some basic strength moves, a la the DMPM, it's a great package. What I want is to separate the swings and carries from strength moves and spend some time on them this off season, but without interfering with the barbell work.

Thoughts?

My go-to combo:

- 1 double high pull, then 10 paces double waiter’s walk.
- Rest briefly.
- 2 double cleans, then 20 paces double rack carry.
- Rest briefly.
- 3 double swings, then 30 paces double farmer’s walk.

That’s round one.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom