all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Swings and Crawls - The 'true' program minimum?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
We have one of these or similar:

Amazon product ASIN B095K9ZGY5
but only because my son had ankle surgery and this was recommended. It's kind of cool but I get the same benefit a couple of doors down where a tree has uprooted part of the sidewalk.

-S-

It was just an option should he want something like crawling… I agree there are tons of alternatives, though I’m not sure I agree that TGUs do the same things for the body as crawling, even though they are a good exercise.
I was introduced to crawling from the 9MC and I really enjoyed the way my shoulders in particular felt afterwards. Both taxed and refreshed. Also i like that just a minute or so feels like something.

I'd be happy to hear of other alternatives!!?

A full plank walk is like a plank, with full scapular protraction, posterior pelvic tilt and stiff core (the aim is to minimize side-to-side wiggle of the body), pulling oneself forward with straight arms
Thanks very much for your comment!

I'm in the remedial group, though, and I don't understand what "full scapular protraction " means, and by pelvic tilt: do you mean tilting up to keep the back straight?

I assume hand position is fingers straight in front, splayed?

I was introduced to crawling from the 9MC and I really enjoyed the way my shoulders in particular felt afterwards. Both taxed and refreshed. Also i like that just a minute or so feels like something.

I'd be happy to hear of other alternatives!!?
GMB Elements

Within their context, which is movement practice, they are legit. Movement practice is like a good hobby for me as described in some of Pavel’s articles and recommendations. It keeps you moving, having fun while increasing your control, stability, strength and mobility for “movement”.

S&S is a great screening tool beyond being a great S&C program. And unfortunately still some of my form issues are due to my limited range of motion. It is hard to believe but even my hip and hamstring mobility restricts my swings … According to my estimation I receive 0 from all FMS scores…

I am working w my mobility to get ready for proper S&S exercise forms while I use SF calisthenics to get stronger. And GMB programs help me in mobility in the mean time.

Hope I was able to answer your question.

Thanks very much for your comment!

I'm in the remedial group, though, and I don't understand what "full scapular protraction " means, and by pelvic tilt: do you mean tilting up to keep the back straight?

I assume hand position is fingers straight in front, splayed?
No worries.

Scapular protraction:
. . . is when your shoulder blades are allowed to wrap all the way around your ribs. Retraction would be pinching your shoulder blades together. For protraction, think of spreading them wide across your back. If you are in a plank position, without changing your neck position, push the floor away such that your sternum moves as far away from the floor as you can get it without breaking a neutral spine/neck position. I used to cue students as if there was a hot poker touching the center of their chest. Once again, just don't stick your neck forward or hunch your back; let your shoulders move instead.

Pelvic tilt:
When you are standing upright, imagine your pelvis is a bucket. Anterior ("to the front") pelvic tilt (APT) would be the bucket dumping water forward. Posterior pelvic tilt (PPT) would be the bucket dumping water to the back. PPT corresponds to a flatter lower back, while APT corresponds to a more pronounced arch in the lower back.

For hand position, just do whatever feels comfortable. Turned out slightly is where most end up I think.

Hope it helps!

Back
Top Bottom