all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swings and hernias

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thanks Steve-
Walking hasn't been a problem, I modified my daily mileage a bit until the follow-up visit with the doctor. He said my mileage was good but to pick up the pace a bit. Most resources I've seen say that walking gets the old circulation to the area. Perhaps I could have (or still could) settle the nerve down with some ice. The discomfort level was minimal and I didn't see the need post-surgery, I will revisit the ice.

I had an inguinal hernia about 10 years ago. Swings have been good for me as I feel my abdominal wall is stronger now. But I have never experienced any pain, discomfort or any other odd sensation while exercising. If I was feeling anything like that, I would be hesitant to continue with a particular exercise.

OK boys and girls, I'm officially off the shelf after the repair. The doctor did a great job, so much so that I had a hard time understanding why he insisted on six weeks of activity limited to walking in its many forms, that is, until recently. In the last week the nerve that is often cranky after the procedure settled down completely. I am wondering what any of you that have undergone the surgery did after getting the green light? I have no desire to make up for lost time, but after a couple of weeks the de-training effects became more and more apparent. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I had the same surgery last year. After the Doc said ok I started off light weight. I do crossfit 3 times a week plus S&S at home. Let pain and or discomfort be your guide. I like your idea of not making up for lost time. Just scale evrything until you get comfortable.

@StuKE, you have seen a doctor who has given you permission to do kettlebell swings, yet kettlebell swings cause you pain.

Step 1) Stop swinging until you have seen your doctor again and are sure you haven't caused any damage, then work with a competent instructor, and I strongly recommend one of ours.

One possibility is that, because of your repaired injury, you will have a smaller margin of error in your swing performance than others. You ask if anyone else has experience with this - yes, I had both a severe herniated disc and a double inguinal hernia but it hasn't stopped me from performing kettlebell swings or barbell deadlifts.

Those "odd pains" stopped once I started doing strength training the StrongFirst way - I used to have them.

Step 2) Strong abs are indispensable in keeping a less-than-perfect middle of your body working. You might consider doing some direct ab work, perhaps even making it your focus for a few weeks before trying the swing again.

Step 3) Consider working on the barbell deadlift instead of the kettlebell swing. It is easier to manage your body when moving it's slowly than when it's moving quickly.

You will notice in S&S that the kettlebell deadlift is taught before the swing. When I am training someone with a bad back, I prefer to go further with the deadlift before starting the swinging, usually introducing the barbell and making sure my student can pick up something quite a bit heavier than a kettlebell in good form. Your description of your hernia issues makes me think that same course of action might work for you, but again, quality instruction and tremendous attention to detail are required.

Step 4) Don't "thrust your hips forward." Drive your heels hard into the ground, keep pushing them into the ground, and stand up straight.

-S-
Just in general, driving your heels and standing up straight with swings does a lot for me. I generate a ton of power and it keeps my shoulders down. I noticed I was shrugging when I first started, so no bueno. I always think "stand tall" as my hips go forward. The body just does what it needs, including keeping my abdomen tight.
So, good stuff, Steve.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom