all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swings and quads

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Colby

Level 2 Valued Member
does anyone know if the KB swing is sufficient for quad stregth. Obviously the squat is king for quad stregth but does the swing give it enough work where squats are not needed?

The swing is a hip hinge(not quad) dominant exercise.You can try isometrics like wall sits for time for more quad contraction.

To keep them relatively strong. I have a bad right knee so I can’t squat. I want to stregth the knee and I was hoping the swings would be enough to do it?
Some hinge dominant exercises do actually help strengthen the knee. The SLDL for example...

To keep them relatively strong. I have a bad right knee so I can’t squat. I want to stregth the knee and I was hoping the swings would be enough to do it?
Heavy swings and snatches work the quads just fine for your average joe. If you are a competitive athlete whose sport demands greater quad strength (like downhill skiing for instance) you will need more.

There may be a version of a squat that doesn't hurt your knee... Maybe a hips-further-back Zercher squat, where you have less knee flexion than a front squat for example. Or possibly a unilateral squat such as a split squat. Also, even just doing some light, even unweighted, prying goblet squats could be very beneficial for you.

But yes, swings can be "enough" if they serve your lifestyle just fine.

does anyone know if the KB swing is sufficient for quad stregth.

Absolutely
Swings and quads

Below is the information on this that I posted March 8, 2019, Post #8.

Kettlebell "Squat Style" Swing

This is a excellent Squat training movement. It places the workload on the quads, glutes and abdominals/core.

This movement simulates a Wide Stance Powerlifing movement.

Instead of the Hip Hinge movement in a traditional Kettlebell Swing; you sit (Squat down) back into the the movement as the bell drop back behind you.

You need to drop as low/Squat as you can in the movement.

The height of the Kettlebell squat Swing will be low, a little out in front of you. Basically, you will be standing up straight.

In finishing the swing, your head will be in around a 45 degree position; you looking down at the floor around 6 ft or so in front of you. This means...

You need to tuck your neck into your chest. Doing so, place more of the workload on the quads and glutes.

Are Heavy Kettlebell Swings Better Than Deadlifts? | T Nation

"In the squat style, the kettlebell sinks down more, the knees bend more, and the torso stays slightly more upright..."

Contreras research demonstrated slightly more "Peak Vertical Force" was produce with the Kettlebell Squat Swing than the traditional Hip Hinge.

However, due to the fact that you are Squatting into the movement the quads are going to be worked substantially more; this is a quad/butt pump movement.

"Problems With Kettlebell Research"
Are Heavy Kettlebell Swings Better Than Deadlifts? | T Nation

As the article noted, most of the research has been performed with light rather than heavy Kettlebell Swings which "Aren't very meaningful".

Contreras' research demonstrated Heavy Kettlebell Swing (Squat and Hip Hinge) produce higher Power Output, greater force production.

Heavy Kettlebell Squat Swings

You need to use a fairly heavy bell with the Kettlebell Squat Swing as well as the traditional Hip Hinge Swing to maximize and develop Power.

Summary

The Kettlebell Squat Swing is an excellent movement for increasing quad, glute and abdominal/core strength.

The Kettlebells Squat Swing is a great Auxiliary Squat Exercise.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
I have Osteoarthritis on my left knee and due to spurs and a metal plate I struggle to reach parallel. This also makes it hard to run so KB swings are my go to exercise for leg strength and conditioning. Saying that if I have access to a Hex bar I will use that to deadlift as it mimics a partial squat movement better (i.e. more quads activation) than a regular deadlift.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom