all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swings before or after BW?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

somanaut

Level 5 Valued Member
I just finished the 1st phase of my homemade (but S1 inspired) bodyweight program (OAOLPU + Pistol Squats). I started at 5x1 and finished at 5x5 today. No new PR, but that wasn't the point of the program anyway. I will keep 5x5 pistols unloaded for the next cycle, but moving down in elevation with the OAOLPU (probably around 30 cm) and start with 5-4-3-2-1 and adding reps until at 5x5 again at this new height. I am starting to feel the volume of the moves now and have split them up in A: OAOLPU and B: Pistol Squats, I GTG on off days for singles. Next cycle looks like this:

Monday: A
Tuesday: B
Wednesday: GTG
Thursday: GTG
Friday: A
Saturday: B
Sunday: GTG

I hope I have explained the program well enough. Now to my question: I want to return to my swings, should I do them before or after the bodyweight part on that given day? Personally I prefer before, especially when I am doing pistols, legs feel a little shaky after 5x5 unloaded pistols. I am using a mix of 2hand and 1hand swings, and will slowly work my way up to 100 as per usual (1x10 on the minute). My back really likes that I have returned to swings.

I tend to default to a training session order of:
  1. Power
  2. Strength
  3. Strength Endurance
  4. Power Endurance / Conditioning

I personally like doing swings before other lifts because I feel it warms me up, gets my blood flowing and my body feels ready for whatever awaits. I do find that a light jog or walk after a practice session aids in recovery.

Power first. I wouldn't say swings before or after BW as one can do explosive movements with bodyweight, but with your exercise selection, swings first.

Hello,

I would also do them before, to mimick S&S (Swings for power , then GU for strength)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

I would also do them before, to mimick S&S (Swings for power , then GU for strength)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks. Exactly, it's basically the S&S template I am using, but with 2 bodyweight skills instead of the TGU (I do a arm bar and a slow TGU before swings).

I think it depends on how you program swings. If you will be doing sets of 5 with a heavy weight, then do them before. If you will be doing 2HS with a light weight for sets of 40 reps, the do them after.

Power before strength, as in S&S. Or strength before conditioning, as in ROP.
What's the focus - strength or power?
You could argue that the bodyweight stuff is heavy on the cns and should be done fresh, no?
You could do less powerful swings first of course but why would you do that? If that is the intention, do them after.
Good solid heavy swings first and then monitor how you progress with the strength, perhaps? But if the strength stuff is the priority, shouldn't you be doing that first, anyway?
Or toss a coin, haha!
Decisions, decisions.....
Or a third way....do the swings on the days you do gtg. Keep it the same, lower volume gtg or just swings depending on how you feel.
There was a weekly programme on the blog somewhere:
M. Strength
T.Conditioning
W.Off
Th. Strength
Fri. Conditioning
Sat. Off
Sun. Off
as another option.....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom