all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swings for beginners over 60?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Timothy Loftus

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello - I have been wanting to introduce the KB and associated mobility drills to folks in their 50s and 60s and beyond who have with little athletic background. I have long felt that it's never too late to start KB training, but am working with a couple of friends now who are generally active, but don't do any strength training. I've worked on halos, glute bridges, and modified goblet squats so far. I feel like they can begin to learn and practice the hip hinge, then deadlift. Beyond that, get ups (unweighted initially) seem like a reasonable goal. But I'm wondering on how to ease into swings with these folks? What's your collective experience? Advice? Should I even go there?

Thanks,
Tim

Tim

Sounds like you are off to a good start with these folks.

Build the deadlift up beyond what you want them to swing—for example I will typically look for a 32kg DL if I want a 16kg (or so) swing.

I started with Deadlifts and moved on to swings a couple of months ago at 16kg and organically moved to 24 recently. I'm almost 62 and also never did strength training before. I love swings. And I find parts of the get-ups really hard. So, I doubt there is an age-thing per se.
One thing I think may be in common with us older folks: we are less in a hurry and more OK in sticking to a solid, well mapped program. I think it's it's perfect mindset for SS.

I don’t have experience with this except me trying to learn how to Swing properly at age 49 :)

I believe holding hardstyle planks also help me to learn the “swing plank” of course, full body tension might not be good for everyone.

Hello - I have been wanting to introduce the KB and associated mobility drills to folks in their 50s and 60s and beyond who have with little athletic background. I have long felt that it's never too late to start KB training, but am working with a couple of friends now who are generally active, but don't do any strength training. I've worked on halos, glute bridges, and modified goblet squats so far. I feel like they can begin to learn and practice the hip hinge, then deadlift. Beyond that, get ups (unweighted initially) seem like a reasonable goal. But I'm wondering on how to ease into swings with these folks? What's your collective experience? Advice? Should I even go there?

Thanks,
Tim
How I've done it:

KB Deadlift Off Blocks -> KB Deadlift Off Floor -> Two Hand Swing.

I almost always start with KB Deadlifts off a box and then gradually reduce height of the box until we're off the floor. Sometimes, after moving up to a heavier bell, I then need to put a box height back in there. So it could look like KB Deadlift off 8" box ... then 4" box ... then floor OR it could look like off 8" box at 12kg ... then 16kg .... then 20kg ... then 4" box at 12kg ... then 16kg ... then 20 kg ... then floor with 12kg ... Some folks over 60 (and even some folks in their 20s!) take a while to get to be able to pick a bell from the floor while still keeping everything the way it is supposed to.

I usually pair that with goblet squat, sometimes to a box or a chair and do something similar until they can free squat deep enough.

How I've done it:

KB Deadlift Off Blocks -> KB Deadlift Off Floor -> Two Hand Swing.

I almost always start with KB Deadlifts off a box and then gradually reduce height of the box until we're off the floor. Sometimes, after moving up to a heavier bell, I then need to put a box height back in there. So it could look like KB Deadlift off 8" box ... then 4" box ... then floor OR it could look like off 8" box at 12kg ... then 16kg .... then 20kg ... then 4" box at 12kg ... then 16kg ... then 20 kg ... then floor with 12kg ... Some folks over 60 (and even some folks in their 20s!) take a while to get to be able to pick a bell from the floor while still keeping everything the way it is supposed to.

I usually pair that with goblet squat, sometimes to a box or a chair and do something similar until they can free squat deep enough.
This! (y)

I trained all my coaching clients that were 50-70's how to Swing properly. But they need to be able to hinge first and then work their way through basic movements like KB deadlifts.

I am 50 and have all kinds of mobility issues. I would say the SWING is the SAFEST strength move you can do. I think its safer than Squats, deadlifts, etc. You can really choose the range of motion and speed. And I would say as a beginner, the worth thing you can do is swing a KB that is too light. If its too light, your body will not be working to counter ballance the bell.

Thanks,
Tim
I agree with the deadlifts. Basically, right outta S/S. Then the hike pass with relatively light bells (individual) because you can assess their balance, ability to maintain loaded heels during backswing, anti-shrug, etc and they can get a feel for same.

Once they (you) feel comfortable with this, teach the standing plank at float particulars. All imo.

I agree with the deadlifts. Basically, right outta S/S. Then the hike pass with relatively light bells (individual) because you can assess their balance, ability to maintain loaded heels during backswing, anti-shrug, etc and they can get a feel for same.

Once they (you) feel comfortable with this, teach the standing plank at float particulars. All imo.
Fwiw, I never touched a KB until my 60’s. Also, I made a little checklist. I still have a condensed version that had to fit a 120 character tweet for some. NOt sure if a good idea for everyone.BBD5A183-0849-4A84-951C-3DFB8D5B2376.jpeg

Fwiw, I never touched a KB until my 60’s. Also, I made a little checklist. I still have a condensed version that had to fit a 120 character tweet for some. NOt sure if a good idea for everyone.View attachment 18185

If I was being nitpicky, for #4 it's not exactly the rear delt you're packing (it's a cluster of muscle used for shoulder packing), but otherwise pretty standard checklist

If I was being nitpicky, for #4 it's not exactly the rear delt you're packing (it's a cluster of muscle used for shoulder packing), but otherwise pretty standard checklist
It was for me, initially, when it was a new thing. Also, space. I shot a vid and posted it for some followers. I could’ve mentioned the whole arm/ropes thingy too.; plus. ;)

It was for me, initially, when it was a new thing. Also, space. I shot a vid and posted it for some followers. I could’ve mentioned the whole arm/ropes thingy too.; plus. ;)

I'm just being an anatomical pedantist, as the primary rear delt kinematics (like in rear delt flye), are not the motion you're trying to cue.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom