all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swings Form Check Request

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pale1

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey everyone. I hope that all of you and your families are safe.

I would love it if I could get some feedback on my swings from you all. I’ve never posted vids like this before so I hope I get this right.

Thanks!

Those look great, @pale1 !

Your setup is good, though I'd bring the kettlebell a little closer to you at the start. Draw it in while you pack the shoulder.

Nice hinge, good timing. Excellent job delaying the hinge on the downswing!

You could probably use the breath more forcefully to help bring tension... brace the abs hard in the standing plank.

Shoulder packing could be improved on the left side. I think the right is better, but can't see it well enough to tell for sure. Stand in a pose that mimics the top of the swing, then draw your shoulder down away from your ear and towards your hip, tight lat... that's where you want it to be at the top of the swing.

You could be more consistent with your gaze (ideally fixed on the horizon, and let your head stay in line with your spine by looking up through your eyebrows in the hinge position - but there are other acceptable variations).

Your alignment L/R is very good. Keep holding that as you develop power.

Keep the legs tight in the hinge, kneecaps pulled up, quads tight, legs straight. Some of your reps are good there and others a bit "loose"

Great work overall! What weight is that?

Overall as Anna noted there are a lot of good things going on in your swing.
I do think you are sitting "down" into your hinge more than sitting "back" into your hinge.

Those look great, @pale1 !

Your setup is good, though I'd bring the kettlebell a little closer to you at the start. Draw it in while you pack the shoulder.

Nice hinge, good timing. Excellent job delaying the hinge on the downswing!

You could probably use the breath more forcefully to help bring tension... brace the abs hard in the standing plank.

Shoulder packing could be improved on the left side. I think the right is better, but can't see it well enough to tell for sure. Stand in a pose that mimics the top of the swing, then draw your shoulder down away from your ear and towards your hip, tight lat... that's where you want it to be at the top of the swing.

You could be more consistent with your gaze (ideally fixed on the horizon, and let your head stay in line with your spine by looking up through your eyebrows in the hinge position - but there are other acceptable variations).

Your alignment L/R is very good. Keep holding that as you develop power.

Keep the legs tight in the hinge, kneecaps pulled up, quads tight, legs straight. Some of your reps are good there and others a bit "loose"

Great work overall! What weight is that?

Thanks for the feedback, Anna! I was looking forward to your input.

The breathing aspect is something that I have issues with consistently. I have a tendency to hold my breath while trying to keep tightness in my core and when I do try to inhale in the hinge I have a hard time getting a good deep breath. I’ll definitely continue to work on that and gaze/head placement and keeping shoulders packed.

I see what you’re saying about some reps being a bit loose. I’ll get that tightened up presently??

The KB in videos 1,2 is a 24kg while 3,4 is a 32kg.

Thanks again.

Overall as Anna noted there are a lot of good things going on in your swing.
I do think you are sitting "down" into your hinge more than sitting "back" into your hinge.

Thanks, @Brett Jones

Will increased hip mobility help with that?

I have very stiff hips, but have started doing the tactical frog sequence before bed as well as some other GTG hip mobility throughout the day in addition to the 90/90 after S&S.

Are there any drills I can use to hone that movement?

@pale1

The Cat-Camel can assist you will practicing a deep diaphragmatic breath, expanding the ribs and also engaging the deep abs. All of this will translate to better breath control during your swing...

The tall kneeling / rocking frog sit will assist with hip mobility and healthy spine position...

Overall you're off to a good start..

Excellent advice by everyone..

Only thing I would address is finish the knee and hip lockout and let the bell float to its peak height...

You're doing great, excited to see a new video in a few days

Last edited:
Thanks, @Brett Jones

Will increased hip mobility help with that?

I have very stiff hips, but have started doing the tactical frog sequence before bed as well as some other GTG hip mobility throughout the day in addition to the 90/90 after S&S.

Are there any drills I can use to hone that movement?

Seeing your KB Deadlift would be useful.
Can you touch your toes?

Second and third rep look good—by the forth rep the bell had "drifted" forward in your stance.
You initiate the decent by moving the head back into extension and you may be overarching your back during your set-up and decent.
Some extension at the neck is fine but you seem to be moving it into a bit of hyperextension.
At the top keep the shoulders over the hips—you are moving into a bit of extension at the back at the top.
Just a couple of things I noticed
Keep working on that mobility

by the forth rep the bell had "drifted" forward in your stance.

@pale1, to add to this, S&S 2.0 pg 33, "The kettlebell will want to land in front of you. Do not let it. Guide it back with your lats -- "swim" it back."

This connection -- lats connecting kettlebell weight and arms to torso, which is then moved by hips and knees... is absolutely key to the swing also, so the kettlebell deadlift is a great way to practice it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom