all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swings only for general fitness

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hey guys, just an update on this. I ended up buying an Airdyne because I found rucking didn’t get my heart rate up that high. I think it’s a great compliment to the swings as the upper part is mostly pushing and the lower part is mostly quads so it seems like it’s a perfect compliment if anyone is interested in doing the same.
I would say you can use both the ruck and Airdyne as they will work different energy systems. Use the ruck for LISS/Zone 2 base building (and the WTH effects) and the Airdyne once or twice a week for Zone 5 blasts.

Thought half the point of crawls was you could just do them that they were a natural movement. If they have to follow some sort of form screw it.
Yes, but I would think that it applies more to hands-and-knees-crawls as the more fundamental version. When you don't have that pattern down, leopard crawling might be another way of putting fitness on top of dysfunction.

Geoff Neupert even focuses more on breathing, deadbugs, rolling etc. than crawling (as a more "advanced" reset).

Thought half the point of crawls was you could just do them that they were a natural movement. If they have to follow some sort of form screw it.

That doesn't even make any sense. I'm clearly describing crawls as a corrective exercise. Why would you think there wouldn't be a proper way to do corrective crawls?

Hi there, I’m pretty new to this community but not new to strength training. For many years I’ve been into barbell training and have had some pretty big lifts including 3/4/5 plate bench/squat/deadlift for reps. With that being said, I’ve suffered a few nagging aches and pains over the years. I’ve done kettlebell swings off and on during that time. I really love the movement. I’ve tried other movements like TGUs and I just don’t like them like I do swings. Now that I’m a father, I’ve found that my time is rather limited. I was thinking of a general fitness plan around swings and rucking as these are the things that I enjoy the most these days. My question is do you think this will give me a reasonable baseline level of fitness? All I really want to do at this point is play with my kids, go hiking, and not blow my back out when lifting/carrying things. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
I think Mark Reifkind has been thriving on this same combination for years and years now. He does 1 arm swings because of injury and has worked up to serious weights and last I checked he blogs about his swing and ruck sessions but I’ve not been on his blog in a while. His wife, Tracy, wrote a book on the swing that is rammed with programs and progressions. Dan Johns 10,000 swing challenge is also a lot of fun. Geoff Neupert has a few swing programs that guys on here have ran. If swings and rucks is what you enjoy then more power to you. I for one will be interested in your experiences over time if you post them.

That doesn't even make any sense. I'm clearly describing crawls as a corrective exercise. Why would you think there wouldn't be a proper way to do corrective crawls?
Whole point of doing them is that they are supposed to be a natural movement. If one has to worry about doing XYZ and learn some sort of form then they are not that natural.

It is just one of the peeves. 'Oh it's a natural movement... Just do these 25 things while thinking of 25 others.'

Whole point of doing them is that they are supposed to be a natural movement. If one has to worry about doing XYZ and learn some sort of form then they are not that natural.

It is just one of the peeves. 'Oh it's a natural movement... Just do these 25 things while thinking of 25 others.'
Honestly that is just more bad coaching than anything. More than one thing to work on is just over complicating things.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Dan John’s movement minimum. Every day do some sort of squat, press, pull, hinge, loaded carry.

Doing ultra minimal things is great, but eventually you lose ground to the “don’t use it lose it” rule. So everyday do something out of the big movement categories to keep everything moving smooth.

Any kind of significant "training" isn't going to be all that "natural".
I haven't really been following the thread closely enough to comment on this, but yeah, sounds like bad coaching. I hope we all understand there is nuance to most exercises/movements.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Dan John’s movement minimum. Every day do some sort of squat, press, pull, hinge, loaded carry.

All 5 every day?

I probably hit all 5 over the course of 2 days, but I don't do all 5 every day.

It's natural in that it restores natural function (if done right), not that you can do them any way and have the same results.

Where did you get this idea?

It's natural in that it restores natural function (if done right), not that you can do them any way and have the same results.

Where did you get this idea?

If I can crawl without issue, what function is being restored?

Don't I already have the function?

If I can crawl without issue, what function is being restored?

Don't I already have the function?

If you have dysfunction, are you crawling with those dysfunctions? Or are you crawling with a posture that will stimulate and restore original function?

If you have dysfunction, are you crawling with those dysfunctions? Or are you crawling with a posture that will stimulate and restore original function?

I can crawl without inducing any pain or discomfort, either while crawling or afterwards.

Seems like the original function is already intact?

I can crawl without inducing any pain or discomfort, either while crawling or afterwards.

Seems like the original function is already intact?

Pain / discomfort isn't the only way to seek out dysfunction, but that's neither here nor there.

If you think you have no dyfunction and can crawl any way with the same results, do you think everyone is in the same boat as you?

Pain / discomfort isn't the only way to seek out dysfunction, but that's neither here nor there.

If you think you have no dyfunction and can crawl any way with the same results, do you think everyone is in the same boat as you?

If you can't crawl, you should probably be able to do so and work to restore it. It's a fundamental movement that is useful from time to time.

If you can crawl, I don't see a lot of reasons for adults to spend a lot of time on it.

Humans are bipedal animals, not quadrupeds.

If you can't crawl, you should probably be able to do so and work to restore it. It's a fundamental movement that is useful from time to time.

If you can crawl, I don't see a lot of reasons for adults to spend a lot of time on it.

Humans are bipedal animals, not quadrupeds.

Why did you jump into this conversation if you recognize that crawling is useful and can be used to restore function?

All 5 every day?

I probably hit all 5 over the course of 2 days, but I don't do all 5 every day.
Usually they get tossed into warmups and combined. Eg, swings are a hinge and a pull, and if you squint they are kinda a loaded carry on a lazy day.

I kinda got to the point where I found if I didn't use a movement often I'd lose it.

Crawling will assist in the chasing of nearly any and all fitness goals.

Over a two year period I built up from a 5 minutes forwards crawl and 2 minutes backwards crawl (shortly after a fairly serious lower back accident) to a 66 minute forwards crawl and a 65 minute backwards crawl (I hadn't forwards crawled in quite a while when I hit this PB and fought on for a 66 minute PB to prove I could crawl forwards longer than backwards, of only by a minute haha).

In this time I spent time using all types of crawls....uphill, downhills.. Sled etc. I also used mini bands around my wrists which really spiced up slow backwards crawling.

It was after using mini bands (and never crawling for more than 10 minutes) that I also set PB's at pullups, diamond pushups and at this time that I got my first one arm pushup.

Nothing earth shattering by the standards of many here, but thought I would share.

Richard

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom