all posts post new thread

Barbell switching exercises

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

When would it be recommended to switch exercises? In PTTP Pavel says to start with double overhand and switch to over under when it gets heavy. But what about switching to say snatch grip? Go a few cycles? One cycle?

@HUNTER1313 it's up to you. Some grips may be useful in training but may not be good for you to go heavy on, so you have to balance that as well. For grips/styles that works well for you, an entire cycle or multiple cycles are indeed one of the options, e.g., someone who can pull almost as much sumo as conventional might want to do a full cycle or multiple cycles that way.

It also depends on what you mean by a cycle - I would say about 3 months worth is the most I'd work a non-competition style.

-S-

Hunter.

For me, it depends on my current goals, or say, which body part im currently focusing on. For upper body period i mainly do snatch grip., Lower body its deficit snatch grip and for midsection its conventional.

By cycle I mean when you reach your top set and can't add anymore weight to the bar and need to start another cycle.

Again it depends on your goals. Are you still fresh and training for strength, start over again, but this time with fewer reps per set. You could do that or you could finish the program as described, and then add assistance exercises to your training that targets the same muscle groups. Just remember to keep your goals in mind when you make adjustments to your training.

@HUNTER1313, an experienced lifter shouldn't just put weight on the bar until he/she cannot. For a beginner, it's fine.

-S-

Would switching the angle of the bench constitute a change of exercise? I was thinking when I've run my bench as far as I can this cycle, increasing the angle a few notches.

I hope it is oK to hitchhike this thread with a related question:

In September I injured my back (clinically minor disc protrusion L5/S1). Culprits: Overhead press and mainly me being stupid and sloppy and rushing a work out while being fatigued. But when I tried to DL again after this I had quite some back pain.

That’s why I switched to PttP variations with lower stress on the lower back: Snatch grip deadlift +side press. The plan is stay on this for 3 months and then try to build up conventional DL again.

I have medical clearance for this plan but would like to have feedback whether this plan make sense to build up strength and DL. So far the snatchgrip DL feels very unbalanced, like an upper body exercise which does not train the legs. But hopefully this will change a bit once I reach modest weights. The best set yet was 5*85kg (BW 71kg)

regulus, try going deficit in the snatch grip dl. Remember to use a weight that's lighter than your usual weight since range of motion is increased.

I don't understand how snatch grip DL, which because of its wider grip effectively makes it a deficit deadlift, is going to provide less stress to the lower back.

-S-

I don't understand how snatch grip DL, which because of its wider grip effectively makes it a deficit deadlift, is going to provide less stress to the lower back.

I dont understand it either, but then again, no one made such a statement.

I thank you all for your input. I thought that upper back strength is the limiting factor in the snatchgrip DL and with this the lower back receives less stress. But if I understand you correct this is wrong? And a big thanks for the offer to do a form check. Ill come back in a separate thread in the next days

Please don't start a separate thread, just post a video link here.

-S-

Some quick thoughts:
Whoa, that's a lot of spinal flexion. Especially for someone with a history of disc problems, this is not good. Work on repatterning your hinge maintaining a flat back. KB sumo DLs and goat belly swings and RDLs are good drills for this. If flexibility is an issue (especially hips and hamstrings), work on that as well. Back rounding like this is most commonly due to some combination of motor control/patterning, flexibility, and strength (relative to the weight you are lifting). When you have your hinge grooved better with a good back position, build up the load gradually. Start with weights that feel very easy.

I would definitely NOT go to any extended range style of lifting such as snatch grip or deficit. In fact, you might want to reduce the range of motion by lifting off blocks or pins in the rack (RDL would be the same idea, limiting ROM to the degree you can keep a good back position), and work your way back into a full range with good form over time.

You may want to experiment with sumo style as well.

Your stance and grip appear very narrow. Your feet look almost together and your hands are therefore very close as well.

Hope this helps.

@regulus, you should not be deadlifting a barbell like that. Have you tried sumo? It might suit you better for now. We teach narrow sumo at our barbell course, and that is what I recommend you try next - put a very light weight on the bar and see if you can do that without rounding your back.

It goes without saying that working with a coach in person would be the best course of action for you.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom