all posts post new thread

Synching up heavy days

TimmyCK

Level 4 Valued Member
Was re-reading the RKC and this line caught my eye: "Each session do as few or as many exercises as you wish but do not work equally hard on every one of them." Pavel then explains that a hard day for one exercise should be an easy day for another. I am curious how this method compares to newer programs like RoP and Kettlebells Strongfirst, where the heavy days of the two exercises (C&P and ballistics, swings and TGUs) are paired up. What are the pros and cons of each approach? Does it matter?

Within the session, if you have a heavy lift and a light lift you can go heavier on the first exercise as you can blow the majority of your energy on the first one, knowing the second one is lighter.

In theory, this lets you alternate your best effort between two different lifts across sessions.

But for recovery and psychologically, I prefer to just have heavier days and lighter days, especially if the heavy lift is a big grind....I recover much easier from heavy ballistics.

I also find it simpler and easier to manage with other life demands (work, etc.)

Last edited:
Was re-reading the RKC and this line caught my eye: "Each session do as few or as many exercises as you wish but do not work equally hard on every one of them." Pavel then explains that a hard day for one exercise should be an easy day for another. I am curious how this method compares to newer programs like RoP and Kettlebells Strongfirst, where the heavy days of the two exercises (C&P and ballistics, swings and TGUs) are paired up. What are the pros and cons of each approach? Does it matter?
Kettlebells StrongFirst programmes heavy swings and heavy TGU on separate days for intermediate level and above.

BuiltStrong Minimalist uses this format:
3 days, 3 exercises, 3 intensity zones

Each day has one heavy, one medium and one light variation.

Back
Top Bottom