all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Systema

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Josh Sanford

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello comrades,
I have been reading this forum for quite some time but this is my first thread to post here.
I was curious in what others here know about Systema as I am curious of its effectiveness. I would assume it's considered a soft-style martial art since they really focus on staying relaxed, so I don't know that this would fall in line with Strongfirst's philosophies. I read a lot that the Russian military uses it as part of their hand-to-hand combat system, along with combat Sambo. I recall reading in one of Pavel's books that some units, I believe his included, were trained in a hard-style form of karate.
Does anyone have experience in Systema or know much about it?
I thought this would be an interesting topic for discussion.

Thanks in advance for all replies!

- Josh

@Kyrinov is the lone Systema man on the forum, I believe. I have read three books on the subject and discussed their videos at length with various martial artists. Chinese internal martial arts, particularly yiquan, mixed with Soviet sports science is one way of looking at it. Scott Meredith, a taiji teacher, cowrote both of Vladimir Vasiliev's books.

What are you intending to use it for???If it's self defence I would recommend bjJ with may thai or boxing. A lot of that situational self defence doesn't transfer to real life application. Read Geoff Thompsons work (the fence) or Matt Thornton (SBG founder) and you will get a better idea. I have done boxing, KM and Bjj and I have found Bjj to be the most challenging as you can spar at full power. Boxing will get you conditioned to being hit. I've no experience with systema but I would imagine its similar to KM.

I have a little experience of a form of Systems ROSS . I can say its effective it will improve your movement ,flexibility and teach you how to hit surprisingly hard from any angle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom