all posts post new thread

Kettlebell T-Handle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
New York Barbells T-Handle for Oly Plates

$50 and free shipping.

So far, I'm liking it for very heavy kettlebell swings. I've used mine twice with 6 x 25 lb. plates on it, so with the weight of the handle and the collars, about 160 lbs. and I weighed 149 this morning.

I'm not sure whether I'm swinging the handle or it's swinging me just yet <smile> but this has potential, IMHO, as a deadlift assistance movement and as just plain fun, and the grip is about wide enough for both hands, unless a kettlebell, and it has the added benefit of being adjustable.

You will have to rid yourself of the notion that these are explosive - at least compared to a normal kettlebell size, they're rather slow moving, but one tries to move the weight quickly and I guess that's the point.

-S-

Looks like you are already well over "spec" on total weight? When I very first started, prior to buying any KB's, I made vaguely similar w/ black steel pipe from hardware store. Got me hooked on swinging though never went near bodyweight let alone beyond

Absoltootly! If it will hold the weight it's all good. Just curious because went to site and it said it holds 8 X 10 lb plates. The one I made I only had 5 lb plates (for weight vest) at the time so made it a double stack. Pretty much had to sumo swing whatever that is.

It does look really well made for $50. Thanks for the review! I showed your review to a friend and he bought one.

I have lots of their stuff. Their $50 chin-up bar is attached to my basement rafters and has been great for years. Other stuff, too.

-S-

They only advertise that for eight 10lb weights. When you get 150lbs on it plus the added centrifugal forces from swinging, there's going to be a lot of shear stress on that bottom L-pin. Be careful Steve.

They only advertise that for eight 10lb weights. When you get 150lbs on it plus the added centrifugal forces from swinging, there's going to be a lot of shear stress on that bottom L-pin. Be careful Steve.
I see nothing suggesting 80 lbs of plates is the limit.

-S-

@Steve Freides thanks a lot for the review, very interesting.

I´ve been curious about building a T-handle for heavy 2 hand swing to develop power, as a complement (or instead) of the 1HS done with a lighter weight. You seem to be going very heavy though, and I assume you are not swinging to chest height, right? Is it more of a short but very heavy swing?

I was thinking on swinging something like 50 kg, so I can swing it chest height and to be similar to a kettlebell 2 hand swing.

How do you think these two compare, the very heavy-short 2HS vs. the heavy-chest height 2 HS? And any idea of how to program these? Maybe 10x10 once a week, or a bit less?

(sorry to derail the thread btw)

I just ordered one due to your comments and review....

The shear strength of that 3/8" L pin should have no trouble holding all the plates.

Is the shaft hollow or solid?

Carl in Dover

I like the T-Handle to do some deadlifts. Using a couple of blocks, you can get some decent R.O.M. or even use it to squat.

@Carl in Dover, I would guess it's solid. It weighs 9 or 10 lbs., if memory serves. I'm not sure if something that small would weigh that much if it was hollow.

Just took a quick look - seems to be some of both, actually.

-S-

How do you think these two compare, the very heavy-short 2HS vs. the heavy-chest height 2 HS? And any idea of how to program these? Maybe 10x10 once a week, or a bit less?
I think, if the swing is super short, it's probably too much weight. I am just playing now with 160 lbs but I will dial back the weight and try to do something progressive. I can swing a 44 kg well enough so probably I need to put 100 lbs. on this and get used to it that way.

As to programming, I think I'd probably put these in one day per week and barbell deadlifts once per week for someone doing barbell squats. If not with barbells squats, I'd probably barbell deadlift 2x/week and do heavy swings once. If a kettlebell-based program, I'm not sure I'd bother with these, but once a week for these seems sufficient. The other way, of course, would be to use S&S, A+A style program, heavy 5's on the minute or something along those lines.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom