all posts post new thread

Kettlebell T-spine fusion and S&S lifts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

StrongBulkBrah

First Post
Hello all, I had a question about the TGU and T-spine mobility that I'd like to ask people more experienced than I and that I've yet to find an answer elsewhere. So, my situation. Almost, if not all, of my thoracic spine is fused (about a decade ago, it's not going anywhere), so I have absolutely no mobility in that area of my spine and will never be able to acquire mobility there. I'll also add that I was cleared for all activity my surgeon, including football and weightlifting. My question is, with zero T-spine mobility, should I do the TGU? This is assuming that my hip and shoulder mobility is adequate. Eventually, I would love to go to a kettlebell course or an FMS screen or something of the sort, but that's a bit out of my price range at the moment.

I appreciate any info you can send my way and if something is not clear don't hesitate to ask. Thank you!

Have you tried any naked getups? - using a shoe on your fist can provide some good feedback. With all fusions, the biggest concern will be excessive movement on either end. My suggestion would be to have a session with an SFG for some live feedback.

Hello all, I had a question about the TGU and T-spine mobility that I'd like to ask people more experienced than I and that I've yet to find an answer elsewhere. So, my situation. Almost, if not all, of my thoracic spine is fused (about a decade ago, it's not going anywhere), so I have absolutely no mobility in that area of my spine and will never be able to acquire mobility there. I'll also add that I was cleared for all activity my surgeon, including football and weightlifting. My question is, with zero T-spine mobility, should I do the TGU? This is assuming that my hip and shoulder mobility is adequate. Eventually, I would love to go to a kettlebell course or an FMS screen or something of the sort, but that's a bit out of my price range at the moment.

I appreciate any info you can send my way and if something is not clear don't hesitate to ask. Thank you!
The advice @fractal gave you is sound.
Assuming your doctor's are clearing you....
  • Try a naked TGU or even portions
  • One on one coaching is expensive yes, but what is the expense of not getting coached?
  • Can you post a video of your TGU?
Welcome to SF

I agree with @fractal and @offwidth, and since I thinktit important I will reiterate...

With all fusions, the biggest concern will be excessive movement on either end.
One on one coaching is expensive yes, but what is the expense of not getting coached?

TGU (and any OH movement for that matter) require thoracic. Making sure you are not overcompensating elsewhere is critical. A good teacher will help you find a variant that is suitable for you and will ingrain good movement patterns.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom