all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Tactical Athlete training - a share point

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

King Cobra Fit

Matt - CSEP-CPT, SFG I, FMS I&II
Hey Everyone,
I wanted to say first that I totally respect and enjoy this community, thank you for all your sharing.

I wanted to start a thread here with training ideas/workouts for the Tactical Athlete (ie military, police, fire).

A quick back ground on me is that I work with the Canadian Forces, specifically with the Navy. Within the Navy I've been working with our fleets Naval Boarding Party's (NBP). I run the PT for the NBP basic training course as well as working with the Advanced Naval Boarding Party (ANBP). NBP are the teams that will board and assault ships that are suspected of carrying drugs, weapons or other things that they shouldn't be. They need, strong motor control, lower body endurance and upper body strength.

I have developed progressive training programs for NBP members and I was hoping that there would be some of you in this great community that may be doing similar training that we could share some ideas and pass some info.

Below is an example of one of the workouts I that have built into my basic training program. This is one of the last sessions in the program. we start with basic mobility and exercise techn, working on swings, get ups, crawling, pull-up etc. building up to more intense complex workouts like this one. I am a strong believer in the "just enough is pleanty" concept, however now and again its good to mix in a "real world" scenario style session. This is one of those.

#12 Weighted Vest Workout
Teams of four, each member wears 20 Lbs weight vest – AMRAP – 25-30 mins (don’t tell course how long they will be working) - preformed in a ciruit fashion.

- Push up circle – 10 (one rep each alternating until each has done 10)
- Overhead walking lunge w/ Blue guns – Around trainer (Aprox. 100m)
- Rope ups & wall sits – 5 rope ups (2 partners do rope ups while the others hold a wall sit with arms extended holding their blue guns then switch) X 2 (rope up = picture "TRX Row" but with rope and lowering body, Hand over hand to ground and pulling hand over hand back up to standing)
- Tactical Turkish Getup w/ blue gun – 5 per side

- Team tire flips – 10 each direction (two partners on either side lifting together with proper lifting technique)

- Jog Around building – 1 Lap (aprox. 250m)

This workout is a grinder and gives the students an idea of what a "hard" boarding maybe like and how important it is to stay focused and keep tight as a team. "win as a team, lose as a team".
Its a great workout and I learn so much about each student watching them move through it.

Anyway, thats an idea of what I've been doing with one of the tactical groups that I train.

Anyone else have any ideas, suggestions or experiences they care to share?

Thanks again everyone!

Stay strong!
Matt

Thanks for posting this. My wife has a colleague who recently transitioned from USN to USNR. I will pass this along, as a help, because I believe this would be of interest, based on past discussion. Live well!

That is a great example of what I would call a very infrequent dose, for those working but not prepping for a pipeline of some sort. The more important question: what does your typical GPP session template look like?

Thanks for your comment @Will Moore and your question @aciampa
The courses that I work with are unique in that, these members are learning to be part of the NBP, which is a secondary duty for them. The course is 6 weeks and I am given 16 sessions to work with them. My goal for the course is to provide the students as much exposure to A) proper exercise/movement techn, B) the things that they should be doing in there own training and C) the fitness level that is required to do the job. Basically I want them to come off course and be able to head straight to the gym and be able to pick right up where they left off. There is a suprisingly wide variety of fitness levels and ablilities on each course so the first sessions are spent on mobility and covering proper exercise techn. I don't have a "typical GPP session Template" per se but here is an expamle of one of my "Foundational workouts" that appears fairly early on in the program.

10 rounds:
10 KB swings
1 TGU
10m Crawl (forward & Backward)
Even rounds 100m Suit case carry
Odd rounds Fighter pull up progression

I use quite a bit of crawling, TGU's + drilling its componets and weighted carries. In watching/doing, climbing up ladders on ship, there is such a similarity between crawling and climbing ladders. Same thing applies to climbing the "sea ladder" and moving around/searching sea cans and the TGU.

Many of our sessions are similar to the above, however, I do introduce the students to things like Battle ropes, some medicine ball drills and some foot work and SAQ stuff.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom