all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Tactical Fitness for civilian.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Good question John. They actually make a note that those test activities are kind of arbitrary and that we should feel free to experiment and make up our own to suit our our individual situation. So I don’t believe that they are all necessary, nor would meeting them improve my in field abilities all that much. Box Steps and Box Jumps probably (for me) being most applicable Followed by dips and pull-ups.

Bear in mind when they refer to ‘excellent’ they are referring to pretty high level folks.

Waaaay back… in my ‘heyday’ I probably could have come close in most of those. Today… not so much. Maybe close in the Box Steps.

Steve's a pretty skinny guy and he could definitely crank out some pull ups in his younger years. Here's an older tongue and cheek video that's just for fun. It's not uncommon for well trained climbers to crank out clean reps.

Oh the clean reps weren't the question, just the pace - 25 in 60s seemed fast, for clean reps, but Steve cranked out 20 at a pretty relaxed pace in about 50s. So I have my answer!
Good question John. They actually make a note that those test activities are kind of arbitrary and that we should feel free to experiment and make up our own to suit our our individual situation. So I don’t believe that they are all necessary, nor would meeting them improve my in field abilities all that much. Box Steps and Box Jumps probably (for me) being most applicable Followed by dips and pull-ups.

Bear in mind when they refer to ‘excellent’ they are referring to pretty high level folks.

Waaaay back… in my ‘heyday’ I probably could have come close in most of those. Today… not so much. Maybe close in the Box Steps.
I don't know much about alpine climbing. Where do you see something like dips or the 300m shuttle benefitting an alpinist?

I think that's where I have to think about the "benefit" of something like the 10 min Sandbag Getup Shuttles in the Backcountry Assessment, vs. looking at getups and shuttles separately. Maybe to simulate having to move in quick spurts up a hill with your pack... I think that's overall why I like the Backcountry one so much, is just about everything "clicks."

John,
Shuttle Runs: I don’t do them (anymore) I would rather just do uphill sprints. But the benefit lies in being able to move really fast over short sections of terrain that may be avalanche or rockfall prone; to get out of danger zones fast. Or maybe pushing hard to get to a bivi site before darkness or weather.

Dips: In much alpine climbing especially over easy 4th and low 5th class scrambling one has to ‘mantle’ a lot. Pushing oneself up onto blocks and ledges. Imagine (wearing a pack) getting up onto your kitchen counter… over and over…

John,
Shuttle Runs: I don’t do them (anymore) I would rather just do uphill sprints. But the benefit lies in being able to move really fast over short sections of terrain that may be avalanche or rockfall prone; to get out of danger zones fast. Or maybe pushing hard to get to a bivi site before darkness or weather.

Dips: In much alpine climbing especially over easy 4th and low 5th class scrambling one has to ‘mantle’ a lot. Pushing oneself up onto blocks and ledges. Imagine (wearing a pack) getting up onto your kitchen counter… over and over…
Very cool! Love seeing how the MTI guys really thought out what they were testing and understanding the why by learning about this. Mantling sounds exhausting.

Actually, the goal mentioned in ETK (and credited to Anatoly Taras) was doing fifty snatches each arm without setting the bell down and just one hand switch.

Actually, the goal mentioned in ETK (and credited to Anatoly Taras) was doing fifty snatches each arm without setting the bell down and just one hand switch.
I don't have my copy of RKC at hand, but perhaps the LCC&J standard mentioned is tucked away in one of the military programs?

Exactly, you say?

Well, I wasn't SOF, but was Airborne Infantry and this is how we prepped for going overseas- I recommend a case of beer every night washed down with some sort of cheap liquor, at best 2 hours of sleep, and then a 6 mile gut-check run. Do that 5 days a week. Sometimes carry a huge log with you while you run, other times carry a 55 lb dry weight rucksack. For the ruck, pound 2 energy drinks and pop in some dip before you step off; maintain the nightly routine. Don't stop to vomit or lose pace while vomiting for any kind of run. When complete, climb ropes until your hands are splintered, and occasionally fight your buddies/practice blood choking each other. Throughout the day, arbitrarily force yourself to do hundreds of pushups, sit in the iron chair for at least 10 minute iterations, and make machine gun and airplane noises while doing dive bombers. On the weekends, ramp up the alcohol, but sleep a bit more. Occasionally do a 12 mile ruck march Saturday morning, hungover. Above all, Don't slack, don't whine, don't ever quit. And no cheerleading- if you aren't working hard enough.

That'll get you ready to punch terrorism in the face.
Ok point of clarification, how cheap should the liquor be?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom