all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Tactical Fitness for civilian.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abishai

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi all,
I know this topic has been covered in diff shapes and forms in previous forums but
I have not gotten a clear answer yet....so here goes.
What would be good fitness goals for a civilian that wants to be in military /SF shape?
Im in pretty good shape now but I want to take my fitness to the next level and
I would like to know what people think standards should be in running,pushups,pullups,DLs ect
I dont want a watered down ,civilian friendly, soy version. I want exactly what you would recc a sf operator going over seas.
thoughts?

Exactly, you say?

Well, I wasn't SOF, but was Airborne Infantry and this is how we prepped for going overseas- I recommend a case of beer every night washed down with some sort of cheap liquor, at best 2 hours of sleep, and then a 6 mile gut-check run. Do that 5 days a week. Sometimes carry a huge log with you while you run, other times carry a 55 lb dry weight rucksack. For the ruck, pound 2 energy drinks and pop in some dip before you step off; maintain the nightly routine. Don't stop to vomit or lose pace while vomiting for any kind of run. When complete, climb ropes until your hands are splintered, and occasionally fight your buddies/practice blood choking each other. Throughout the day, arbitrarily force yourself to do hundreds of pushups, sit in the iron chair for at least 10 minute iterations, and make machine gun and airplane noises while doing dive bombers. On the weekends, ramp up the alcohol, but sleep a bit more. Occasionally do a 12 mile ruck march Saturday morning, hungover. Above all, Don't slack, don't whine, don't ever quit. And no cheerleading- if you aren't working hard enough.

That'll get you ready to punch terrorism in the face.

Trap DL, med ball throw, sprint (with drag/carry), push ups, 2 mile run. The standards are on a chart there too for different levels.

Of course you don’t have to train these exercises specifically to get these goals/standards. You can probably get there with a kettlebell and running routine and a bit of event specific practice when you want to test.

Hello,

Depending on the time you have available:

Or something like this, more minimalist:

There's also this:

Kind regards,

Pet'

thanks!
no pushups or mid section work?
I just answered in terms of what I think would be good for an operational athlete. If you actually have to test and the test requires pushups, then definitely train them, probably by GTG methods.

Rucking and swimming would also be essential, depending on unit.

Hello,

By the way, below are some threads (maybe there are others though...) about SF, Selection, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Right now - for the army - the combatives program is basically the pinnacle of the fitness program.
from some other areas of High Physical requirements you'll find in endurance in the army culture.
for some reason they reallly really like running.

So, in my case - I'd look at

Strength - 2x body weight dead lift
Being able to handle a buddy in full kit is a thing that might happen down range.

Strength endurance - BJJ training - being able to roll - round after round - is held in high regard in many circles.
if you get into a fight - theres a sense in which it's partially a matter of attrition - he who gets tired first loses.

Endurance training - a serious running goal - like a good middle distance race time - and a respectable half marathon completion.
being able to move fast with gear on is a thing, and traversing on foot - for extended periods of time is sometimes a part of the job.

Hello,

In one of the thread mentionned above, there was this very interesting post from @Wes P

Kind regards,

Pet'

Note: Prepping for deployment is not the same as prepping for selection. One is about what you can do day to day, on demand, the other is about peaking for an event.

In addition to being isolated "events," the make-up of PT tests are driven as much by logistics (ease of administration) and standardization (the ability to fairly objectively evaluate each individual's performance) as by function. If you don't have testing requirements, it frees you to be more "functional" in your training.

Last edited:
Hello,

In one of the thread mentionned above, there was this very interesting post from @Wes P

Kind regards,

Pet'
perfect!
exactly what i was looking for
thanks

Note: Prepping for deployment is not the same as prepping for selection. One is about what you can do day to day, on demand, the other is about peaking for an event.

In addition to being isolated "events," the make-up of PT tests are driven as much by logistics (ease of administration) and standardization (the ability to fairly objectively evaluate each individual's performance) as by function. If you don't have testing requirements, it frees you to be more "functional" in your training.
I agree with the diff between selection and Deployment. Thats why i did not want to use info from the internet and official military websites.
Selection is meant to weed out weak people not to prepare for deployment.

Hello @Girevik007

No I am not in the military. However, I usually enjoy this kind of programmes and ran a few of them just to see how it went. Most of them are "peaking" programmes, as @Adachi mentions. Novocaine routine is really excellent because it remains doable on the long term, assuming you do not have a lot of other demanding physical activities.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Novocaine routine is really excellent because it remains doable on the long term
yeah - I'll reiterate what others have said - there are several areas of performance that the military will expose a service member to.

most frequently - maintenance physical readiness training and the testing that goes with that.
less frequently - specialized events for getting into or out of certain schools, or specialized jobs.
least frequently - exigencies of being deployed / downrange / crossing the wire out into public spaces.

there are probably other ways to describe some of the dynamics of Military Fitness but, these come to mind.

each of them has its own set of concerns.

the Novocaine program does have a good underlying logic to it, and it presents as being a good long-term training protocol and strategy.

I'll throw out that this is essentially what Tactical Barbell is all about, since it's meant for police, SWAT, etc. Depending on your unit, there's different goals and paths to take, but the series has a lot of good info in it and plans to get there.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom