all posts post new thread

TSC Tactical Strength Challenge update

StrongFirst

No longer a StrongFirst event, it is now owned and operated by Derek and Ryan Toshner, StrongFirst Certified Instructors, Master and Senior, respectively. The TNT brothers have done more than anyone to advance the Tactical Strength Challenge with their passion and skills and now they will take it to the next level.

The next Tactical Strength Challenge will take place on the last Saturday in October.

Stand by for upcoming announcements on this forum and at tacticalstrengthchallenge.com.

Tactical Strength Challenge

Worldwide

October 28, 2023

Mark your calendars and start training.

@Cody Rhinehart , it should be up sometime in February (hopefully sooner rather than later). As you might imagine, a bit of work needs to be done with a transition like this. We're diligently working through the details. And we'll be sure to post here (and StrongFirst will likely post in the newsletter) when everything is up and running.

@Sean Mulcahy , it is not. Re: the "diligently working through the details" comment above, there are also a few changes that we'd like to make for the purpose of making the experience better for both hosts and participants. With all the currently moving parts, a May event leaves too little time to pull that off without a hitch (or, at least, with as few hitches as possible). So October 28th will be the next event.

@ Everyone: Please post any questions here or DM @Derek Toshner or me. We'll check back often and, as much as possible, keep everyone up-to-date!

Wow. Just found out about this when I went to register my gym to host. I'm disappointed that it's canceled for May. My gym members and community always look forward to it, and several people who had spectated in October were preparing for May. Look forward to seeing what you guys put together in October. Cheers.

Not only is sumo legal, there's a lot out there to suggest it's better for many purposes, and since not everyone sets records using Sumo, it's tough to say one can lift more weight that way. I'm currently in my first-ever sumo cycle and am interested to see how it goes, but I'll not up front that my interest is in how it can help my conventional DL in a meet. I don't expect it to be stronger for me.

-S-

... does gear mean suits or include belts sleeves and wraps too?
A good question, @silveraw.

To date, and to the best of my knowledge, the rules have reflected StrongFirst certification rules with some minor differences. From SFL Barbell Certification Requirements | StrongFirst

"Equipment not allowed during testing: belt, knee wraps, wrist straps, or powerlifting suits."

My understanding is that a lifting belt has been allowed at the TSC because it's a competition - but not any of the other things listed. I think the TSC has also allowed lifting barefoot or in socks as well. We will, however, have to see what @Ryan Toshner has to say on the subject and, of course, once the new TSC site is up, then I expect this question will be addressed on the Rules page.

And we should note that, as always, when a facility hosts an event, the facility may have its own rules about things like footwear.

That's what I know and what I don't know.

-S-

A good question, @silveraw.

To date, and to the best of my knowledge, the rules have reflected StrongFirst certification rules with some minor differences. From SFL Barbell Certification Requirements | StrongFirst

"Equipment not allowed during testing: belt, knee wraps, wrist straps, or powerlifting suits."

My understanding is that a lifting belt has been allowed at the TSC because it's a competition - but not any of the other things listed. I think the TSC has also allowed lifting barefoot or in socks as well. We will, however, have to see what @Ryan Toshner has to say on the subject and, of course, once the new TSC site is up, then I expect this question will be addressed on the Rules page.

And we should note that, as always, when a facility hosts an event, the facility may have its own rules about things like footwear.

That's what I know and what I don't know.

-S-

@silveraw , Steve is correct. Belt and chalk are allowed. Footwear can basically be anything. No wraps, straps, or suits.

there's a lot out there to suggest it's better for many purposes
C'mon Steve, you can use the "f" word - "functional." Whenever I lift something off the ground, I use a wide stance.
it's tough to say one can lift more weight that way
Switching to sumo I was able to lift the exact same as conventional. Subjectively it felt stronger, but objectively it was the same. But that subjective feeling is important for me. I have messed up lower back (and I know that you do as well) and anything that improves my confidence in a lift will protect my lower back.

Back
Top Bottom