all posts post new thread

Nutrition Tales of OMAD

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date

Deleted member 316

I would like to hear about and from the OMAD crew. 16/8 is the go to format for many intermittent faster, but there are some that adhere to OMAD. Did you do OMAD and switch to something else? Lose muscle on it? Gain muscle on it? Tips? Tricks? Yaya or nay?

As a former morbildy obese guy OMAD just confirmed that I can eat a caloric surplus in one meal pretty easily. It definitely didn't do good things with my relationship to food.
16/8 doesn't seem to do the same thing as much, but only if I don't follow it religiously. I usually skip breakfast most weekdays and make fun family breakfasts on weekends. If I have a timer going for the fasting window, I get similar results to OMAD.

But if I want to drop fat, I have to meal prep and portion my meals to make it work.

As a former morbildy obese guy OMAD just confirmed that I can eat a caloric surplus in one meal pretty easily. It definitely didn't do good things with my relationship to food.
16/8 doesn't seem to do the same thing as much, but only if I don't follow it religiously. I usually skip breakfast most weekdays and make fun family breakfasts on weekends. If I have a timer going for the fasting window, I get similar results to OMAD.

But if I want to drop fat, I have to meal prep and portion my meals to make it work
I agree. It's not hard to get calories in. A few bad choices and they add up fast.

I would like to hear about and from the OMAD crew. 16/8 is the go to format for many intermittent faster, but there are some that adhere to OMAD. Did you do OMAD and switch to something else? Lose muscle on it? Gain muscle on it? Tips? Tricks? Yaya or nay?
I'm going to be completely transparent and say the only reason OMAD works for me is because I'm introverted and don't have any social friends. I live alone and have no other schedules or obligations to adhere too. If I had a girlfriend or a family, my meal plan would most certainly change.

I've been on OMAD for seven months now. I am not 100% strict about OMAD and might eat another meal every now and then. Prior to OMAD I was loosely following the 16/8 IF protocol by skipping breakfast. I have skipped breakfast most of my life. I started OMAD because I like to eat big meals, yet wanted to lean out. I was also interested both in the health benefits of fasting and the psychological benefits of self discipline required for OMAD. It's also worth to note that upon starting OMAD I also began eating mostly plant-based. I eat fish or meat only about one day a week. For my protein I eat mostly legumes, beans and peas. I do not eat soy, tofu nor seitan, and definitely not any "meat-like" laboratory-designed disgustingness.

I used to be around 210 pounds at 6'3. Body fat was maybe somewhere in the 15-20% region. I do not know how much weight I have lost, but definitely lost some. My guess is somewhere between 10 to 15 pounds. Outright weight loss was never the goal. Went down a clothing size or even one and half. Definitely leaned out. Lost some muscle as well, although not really that much: mostly from places I have not targeted with resistance training.

Some insights I've had:
  • There are two types of hunger. The first type is just a feeling which has nothing to do with one actually needing calories. This feeling was very hard to ignore at first. The second type is the actual need for calories in order to continue performing. I've learned to tell these two apart quite well, and most times don't even notice the first type.

• Training in a fasted state is no problem. I can put in an hour long intense boxing session with some calisthenics sprinkled on top without even noticing that I haven't eaten anything since 20+ hours ago.

• I feel the protocol works best for people who like to eat big meals. That said, eating OMAD won't magically make one lean if they eat crap. It's easy to eat 3000 calories worth of deep-fried chocolate bars and pizza. Try to do the same by eating kidney bean vegetable stew.

• Trying to be too strict about the protocol can be detrimental. If you ate way too few calories on your last meal, there might be a real need to eat another one in order to recover and perform. I also feel it's important to have some metabolic flexibility. It can be very difficult to eat enough clean food in one meal if you are being very active. Sometimes it can be better to have some breakfast or lunch the next day instead.

• Joining people for lunch and having only coffee or tea can be awkward at first. However, not joining people for lunch can have negative effects on social life, so I decided to tag along.
All of the above are just my personal experiences, yours might vary. I know there are people on this forum who have done OMAD for years or even decades. I would love to hear their thoughts about it.

Last edited:
I'm going to be completely transparent and say the only reason OMAD works for me is because I'm introverted and don't have any social friends. I live alone and have no other schedules or obligations to adhere too. If I had a girlfriend or a family, my meal plan would most certainly change.
Fair call.
Since splitting with my GF recently, I somehow naturally started OMAD one day when I was slammed at work. Then thought let's keep it going. Been easy, but I've just been working and training in the afternoon.

Energy through the roof, but no girl problems to deal with means less stress, and stress leads to eating.

Back
Top Bottom