all posts post new thread

Barbell Talk Me Out of a Power Bar *or* Recommend One

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If you're cheap like me, while not as nice, I have this similar bar from Bells of Steel that does everything I need it to do:

For anyone interested, they just sent me this:

"Our 12th Anniversary is coming up, and we wanted to say thank you for the years of continued support and growth!

As an extra thank you, we're going to have a sale for one day only, on Tuesday May 24th!

Mark your calendar now, and we'll see you on Tuesday!"

The last time they had a sale like this, I bought my trap bar with 160lbs of bumper plates as a set for $399 including shipping. I expect similar sales this time, and they do have a cerakote power bar normally for $249 that I imagine IF it's on sale you can probably scoop it up for $200ish including shipping. The bare will be even cheaper (regular price is only $200), but I know you don't want one of those.

Wow, that's a heck of a deal.

I usually pay about ~$400/pair just for 25 kg bumper plates.
Yeah, these are NOT calibrated bumpers and are the lb plates, so they're a little cheaper. I weighed them and they were all less than 1% off, so close enough for me, but they are fairly bulky and all black so I can definitely see why someone would want better ones.

I have a Rogue Ohio Power Bar. This one, I think: Rogue 45LB Ohio Power Bar - Black Zinc

I've had it now for probably 5 years and love it.

How do you find the knurl on the Ohio bar?

Rogue says (via email to me):

The Pyrros bar has a pretty standard feeling knurl on it and will be much more passive compared to an AGGRO 2

A standard Ohio Power Bar will have a more aggressive knurling than the Pyrros does, and the AGGRO 2 would be a significant leap in aggressiveness

An AGGRO 3 is a complete pyramid knurl and will be an entire world of difference no questions asked, so it might be best to stay away from this option if you're content with the Pyrros knurl but maybe want a bit of an extra kick.

How do you find the knurl on the Ohio bar?
I think it's pretty good - definitely 'aggressive' enough for me. I'm not a big fan of knurling that cuts into you (except maybe for a deadlift bar at a PL meet). I haven't really ever done a comparison w. others, but will when I get home (I have a cheaper Lu Xiao Jun barbell if that means anything to you as far as knurling)

A reasonable fear.

Weightlifting is just a bunch of technical voodoo and whip manipulation trickery. ;)

Look at all these weak as kitten weightlifters who can only bench 100-120 kg. /s

That's why I need a power bar before it's too late and my upper body atrophies!

Just think how strong they'd be with that extra .6 pounds!

I don't even know what it's for and I want one.

That weird middle ground of technique and mobility work where a PVC pipe is too light or flexible, but a full size barbell is too big or heavy.

I'd probably carry it with me on neighborhood 'walk , press and squats', which I currently do with a plastic tube.

I think I could also get my wife to use it on me as a massage tool.

Or quarter staff training?

That weird middle ground of technique and mobility work where a PVC pipe is too light or flexible, but a full size barbell is too big or heavy.

I'd probably carry it with me on neighborhood 'walk , press and squats', which I currently do with a plastic tube.

I think I could also get my wife to use it on me as a massage tool.

Or quarter staff training?
Apparently they've got shorter ones for massage

Screenshot_20220520-183516.jpg

There's a raw 28.5 mm Ohio bar up there now for $195, but in the Seattle area, that would go to rust faster than a greased pig chased by hillbillies.
I wouldn't get a raw steel bar for a home gym especially if you are going to ever leave it in the garage. I'm sure it probably wouldn't matter much as far as performance goes as long as you do minimal maintenance, but the rust would bother me.

I wouldn't get a raw steel bar for a home gym especially if you are going to ever leave it in the garage. I'm sure it probably wouldn't matter much as far as performance goes as long as you do minimal maintenance, but the rust would bother me.

Same.

And I can get stainless steel with the same feel as raw steel.

Hmm, this Vulcan Absolute Stainless Steel also looks rather nice.

But I have no experience with Vulcan bars (or any Vulcan product, for that matter), so not sure how they stand up over time.

I'm guessing it would outlive you. But, it is expensive and I think bars half the cost would do as well (maybe not as pretty though)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom