all posts post new thread

Barbell Talk Me Out of a Power Bar *or* Recommend One

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
My current bars:

3 weightlifting bars (Eleiko Power Lock, Rogue Pyrros, Rogue Euro bar)

1 rackable EZ curl bar ('Convict' brand, total cheese)

1 trap bar (Eleiko Oppen baar)

But I don't have a power bar.

I hate curling with my EZ curl bar, and using the weightlifting bar for barbell curls feels wrong.

But other than that, while I kind of want a power bar, I don't really *need* one.

Or do I?

And, if yes, what to get?

I'd get an IPF competition bar.

I wish Eleikos had more aggressive knurling.

I've really liked every Leoko I've tried.

My current bars:

3 weightlifting bars (Eleiko Power Lock, Rogue Pyrros, Rogue Euro bar)

1 rackable EZ curl bar ('Convict' brand, total cheese)

1 trap bar (Eleiko Oppen baar)

But I don't have a power bar.

I hate curling with my EZ curl bar, and using the weightlifting bar for barbell curls feels wrong.

But other than that, while I kind of want a power bar, I don't really *need* one.

Or do I?

And, if yes, what to get?
An IVANKO powerlifting bar fits your style.

I own or have owned a 20 kg Texas Power Bar, a Rogue Power Bar in both 45 lb and 20 kg, and an Eleiko competition power bar (20 kg, of course). They're all good. I think the Texas bars are the most bang for the dollar.

-S-

I have a Rogue Ohio Power Bar. This one, I think: Rogue 45LB Ohio Power Bar - Black Zinc

I've had it now for probably 5 years and love it.

Rogue's Ohio bar choices are enticing, but they also bring out the OCD in me.

If I want a 20 kg bar (because everything else I do is metric, and I know that extra "shadow" 0.6 lb on the 45 lb bar would bug me), I can get it in stainless steel shaft (my preference) but not SS sleeves.

And the 20 kg bar is IPF certified, if some reason I wanted to switch over and go do squats and DLs at a PL meet.

If I want full SS shaft / SS sleeves, I have to go Imperial units, which doesn't match my KG plates.

And then there are those new AGGRO 2 and AGGRO 3 bars.....all SS, but with some more hardcore knurling.

(I'm actually tempted by the AGGRO 2 bar, as some WLers whine that the Pyrros bar is too aggressive for training, but I love it....and would love to have a bar that is even more aggressive)

View attachment 17678
Get this one senpai. Vietnamese local brand

Oh, well, the other toy I'm thinking of buying is one of these:

RA2564-SS-H_wsqbsd.png

If I want a 20 kg bar (because everything else I do is metric, and I know that extra "shadow" 0.6 lb on the 45 lb bar would bug me), I can get it in stainless steel shaft (my preference) but not SS sleeves.
I prefer knowing I have the slight amount of extra weight on my BP training bar. Plate weights vary and I use cheap cast iron plates that may be light - who knows? I got the 45 lb on purpose for that reason.

-S-

That .6 pounds adds up! I never use my WL barbell because I fear I will grow weak. ;)

A reasonable fear.

Weightlifting is just a bunch of technical voodoo and whip manipulation trickery. ;)

Look at all these weak as kitten weightlifters who can only bench 100-120 kg. /s

That's why I need a power bar before it's too late and my upper body atrophies!

Last edited:
I have never done enough barbell work to justify replacing my cheap Cap
fitness power bar. This thread is giving me the itch though. I was in a gym earlier this month that had Rogue bars, but I don’t know exactly what kind. I’m kind of in love, though.

My raw Ohio bar is a boneyard bar that I got for a very reasonable price. maybe that's something to keep an eye on. I've seen 29 mm bars come and go - lately.

maybe keep an eye out for something that catches your eye?

1653068184990.png

My raw Ohio bar is a boneyard bar that I got for a very reasonable price. maybe that's something to keep an eye on. I've seen 29 mm bars come and go - lately.

maybe keep an eye out for something that catches your eye?

View attachment 17679

There's a raw 28.5 mm Ohio bar up there now for $195, but in the Seattle area, that would go to rust faster than a greased pig chased by hillbillies.

There's a raw Ohio bar up there now for $195, but in the Seattle area, that would go to rust faster than a greased pig chased by hillbillies.
i'm in the south myself - the patina on my raw bar is coming along very nicely.

rogue says a bottle of 3 in 1 oil applied periodically is all that's called for. :shrug: so far so good.

i'm in the south myself - the patina on my raw bar is coming along very nicely.

rogue says a bottle of 3 in 1 oil applied periodically is all that's called for. :shrug: so far so good.

Do you keep it in the house or the garage?

I could probably get away with it in the house, but I've had moss grow on stuff in the garage.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom