all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Talk test vs Maf—which is better

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

simon0596

Level 5 Valued Member
From a distance running perspective, I mean.

HR at my best talk-test pace later in the run is considerably above my Maf prescribed rate, yet certainly doesn’t feel like I’m working particularly hard. Bear in mind, we are talking central Florida, so there’s going to be some drift.

so...do I go by feel or do I adhere to the number?

so...do I go by feel or do I adhere to the number?
In the end, neither, if you'll forgive a somewhat cryptic answer.

I have maxed-out my heart rate while still breathing only through my nose, and I have passed the talk test at nearly max HR as well.

There's a principle involved here, of using an energy system that is inexhaustable, and that's your aerobic system. What you're doing should feel like you could do it forever. If that turns out to work better for you by number, by talking, or by perceived effort - or by any other means, that's what you should do.

-S-

For steady state exercise, if you're training with the MAF method, use the MAF HR. And if you're doing MAF, he says not to adjust for heat. See this FAQ.

The talk test is better for kettlebell ballistics. And breathing is always a good insight into what's going on physiologically, so it's a good thing to pay attention to no matter what type of exercise you're doing.

If you’re doing the Maffetone Method, then follow his guidelines, which is to always stay below MAF. Do not follow the drift.

Or, use a different method. There’s more than one way. Bit mixing and matching often just makes a mess.

Like Steve, I can nasal breathe to high heart rates, so I use a HRM.

Same input as OP, anna c and steve freides, my “nasal breathing max” hr is approx 10bpm higher than MAF.

For running I like MAF as an absolute ceiling on hills, but cruise between 120 and 140 depending on the day, terrain, duration (32yo)

Nasal breathing gets to be a problem quickly, with my tiny nostrils.

Thanks for the input, y’all. I was figuring “talk test” would win out. Will slog along with the boredom of <130. Ugh.

“Slog” and “boredom” are in your head, not your heart rate . . .

“Relaxing” is an alternate way to view it.

In any case, Maffetone’s 180 formula is only one way to peel the aerobic potato. Check The Uphill Athlete for a great discussion.

Hello,
Also for me MAF is better for running.
Instead in timeless simple and sinister i prefer the talk test because It doesn't need any device, there are only me and my breath without any distraction.
I am courious on which sentences do you use for the talk test, their lengths.
This Is my talk test ( in italian)

«God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.»

Matteo

My nasal breathing max is about 30 bpm higher than my MAF. "Comfortable" nasal breathing ability is about 20 bpm higher though. On my slow jogs, I lately gravitate toward nasal breathing only. It keeps me from going out too fast and hating life for the rest of the run. MAF pace "feels" much more comfortable, but it allows very little jogging before my heart rate is over the MAF limit.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom