all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Talk test

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jhpowers

Level 6 Valued Member
I recently resumed S & S. Does anyone else find that the talk test in an inadequate measure of time. I'm often able to talk easily (I say the Serenity Prayer) after about 30 seconds, but haven't recovered the full power in my swings until probably 90 seconds. In other words, if I swing as soon a I can pass the talk test I start to lose power with each set. I've been using a timer and gradually decreasing the rest over time. Any other thoughts on timing?

For me the talk test is mainly an indication of cardiac recovery. If I'm wearing a heart monitor I will see that my heart rate has recovered. Like it heavy barbell training, your heart rate recovery is just the beginning of the rest cycle you need to start another set. Also for older folks like me, I have a much more limited heart rate range so I need to know if it's recovered. if you truly want 100 recovery between sets you are going to have to experiment for yourself. If you are swinging heavy with full power then it could easily be 5 minutes or so to recover.

@jhpowers

The talk test is a reliable and safe method, although I have found that results vary widely based on the age of the student. In my case, I am 45 and can pass the talk test in around 20 seconds after a powerful set of 20 1H swings with a 32kg , but I know I will actually need 60 seconds before I can produce the next set with comparable power output. Someone 20 years younger would be able to get back after it much faster. With S&S testing practice, I take the full 60 seconds!

The talk test can tell me if my lungs are ready for another round, but the talk test cannot tell me if my strength is ready for another round. (I can talk just fine with depleted shoulders.)

For me, talk test is the sign that the body is well out of the anaerobic zone. Usually it means Z2 to Z3 bpm zone. Talk test can be deceiving, if it's used in between intensive work sets, while after ~30 seconds you already can feel rested and talk freely, but heart rate still at high bpm by inertia, and usually it drops later. Nothing critical as a single occurrence, but builds up total fatigue towards next sets. And, like truthfully said, aerobic system recovery can't reflect the all systems recovery fully. There's a need to note that bell size is a decisive variable for the recovery time, so suggested times are only good for that certain weight...

I have read and read about the talk test but still am not sure exactly what it means. I think for my first few sets I can definitely say a short sentence, “I can say a short sentence. I am ready to start my next set,”.
I guess my question is whether it’s actually saying the sentence easily or without needing a big breath after. (When in doubt wait it out, huh?)

Here's an approach I use when I do a quasi-peaking approach..

10 reps every 30 seconds left and right.. that's 1 set..

Set 2 is determined by the talk test and usually an extra 5 deep breaths...

Do this for a week or two then see how two sets feel..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom