all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Tearing skin during swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mightstone2k

Level 6 Valued Member
I received S&S 2.0 this week and recommitted to the program... including the admonition to use chalk. I was doing one-arm swings w/24 kg (not a challenging weight for me) this morning with a light dusting of chalk on my fingers. When I finished the fourth set on the right side, I discovered that the skin proximal to the callus on my right ring finger had torn (picture below).

Does anyone have an idea as to why this happened? Tearing skin has been one of the most common reasons why I have to take a break from the program. If anything, I would have expected it on my left hand. The handle felt like it was tugging more aggressively on that hand. Chalk has that effect; the handle “sticks” in my hand (which is the point) and tugs on the skin, generally around the calluses. The skin around the callus on my left ring finger is pretty red, for what that’s worth.

Oh, and I am going to the KB one day course on Sunday. Guess I’m not swinging for the rest of the week while this heals.

Thanks in advance for any help.

9FFAD105-5386-4510-A655-E757A0DBFE62.jpeg

Sometimes it only takes one errant swing to do that. I've said it before, but if you are swinging a bell that's light by your standards, you really don't need chalk unless your hands are greasy or sweaty. The more you swing, the more you'll get used to these types of nicks and scrapes, and how you can prevent most of them.

I'm not telling you what to do, but if it's me, I'm taping that up, and I'm off and swinging again. If you you are a hand model or a masseuse, then kettlebells aren't for you.

I received S&S 2.0 this week and recommitted to the program... including the admonition to use chalk. I was doing one-arm swings w/24 kg (not a challenging weight for me) this morning with a light dusting of chalk on my fingers. When I finished the fourth set on the right side, I discovered that the skin proximal to the callus on my right ring finger had torn (picture below).

Does anyone have an idea as to why this happened? Tearing skin has been one of the most common reasons why I have to take a break from the program. If anything, I would have expected it on my left hand. The handle felt like it was tugging more aggressively on that hand. Chalk has that effect; the handle “sticks” in my hand (which is the point) and tugs on the skin, generally around the calluses. The skin around the callus on my left ring finger is pretty red, for what that’s worth.

Oh, and I am going to the KB one day course on Sunday. Guess I’m not swinging for the rest of the week while this heals.

Thanks in advance for any help.

View attachment 9331

When we swing or deadlift, a percentage of the weight is lifted by the skin, and the remaining percentage is lifted by the hand grip. Or, in other words, by bones and muscle rather than the skin. Relying on the skin is more comfortable because it doesnt tire us. The problem it has is that it can hurt the skin.

In my opinion, the trick to avoid hurting your skin is to minimize the weight taken by the skin and maximize the weight taken by the muscle and bones.

A good way to visualize this effect is to think of a double overhand deadlift. As ther bar rotates, you cannot rely on the skin and the weight you can lift is less, limited by your grip strength. OTOH, if you lift with mixed grip, the bar cannot rotate and the knurling puts a lot of friction on the skin, so a lot of weight is taken by the skin. Therefore grip strength is less of a limiting factor.

I just received a set of three finger hand grips from Rogue. Used them this morning for snatching and they work great. If you are in the states Dicks sells two finger grips and they worked well for swings.

As some of us (self included) mentioned in the recent 'what chalk' thread, there can be a very fine line between not enough grip and too much. As well as the question of how much, what type, and when to apply chalk, I'm sure there's also an element of hand and technique adaptation that might take time if chalk is new to you.

I have to be very careful indeed to hold & swing the kettlebell in a way that doesn't put even the slightest shear force on the surface skin, otherwise the bond between chalked skin and iron is soon shown to be stronger than that between skin and flesh.

In a week of rest you will lose almost no fitness and gain (hopefully) a good deal of skin and (definitely) a beneficial bit of freshness for your course.

@mightstone2k
KB lifting is stressful on the hands in general, so hot spot and tears can occur even with the best technique. But there are definitely a lot of subtle ways to mitigate the stress and make hand tears a rare(er) occurrence.

Al Ciampa once posted the following:

To some degree, your hands will just have to toughen up. I usually advise newcomers to the bell, to follow their hands, allowing them to adapt. The more blue collar you were before KB practice, the less time it will take...

The skin on your hands, your grip strength, your tension development, your technical skill... it is all connected. You can't master one without the others. Don't feel that you have to train today, simply because it is scheduled, if your hands are saying "no", regardless of how recovered your body feels. If you tear your hands, you will lose far more training time than if you just rest another day when they feel, "hot".

You have a lifetime to practice...

There's a lot of wisdom there that only comes from experience and that a lot of readers might not understand without going through similar experience.

Some points that especially resonated with me:

The long term nature of adaptation. Years is no joke. Patience.

The point that skin toughness, grip stength and skill/technique are all connected. Yes, your form/grip may look okay, but if you don't have the strength or get fatigued, you will start over squeezing and have a problem. There's a lot of subtle interaction between your contact with the KB and your overall form -- the ways force is transmitted and absorbed back and forth between you and the KB. A lot of this is not obvious from the outside, even to an expert eye, and must be tuned through trial and error.

Here are a few observations about factors that can have a great effect on hand tears:

Skin adaptation:
Skin becomes conditioned through frequent and consistent practice so that the skin is tougher and less prone to tearing. It isn't just developing calluses, which can cause problems if they get too thick, but a general overall toughness, even where the skin is not obviously thick or rough.

Grip strength:
KB-specific grip strength also takes a long time to develop. It progresses a lot more slowly than hip power and endurance, so your overall strength tends to put a lot of pressure (pun intended) on the weak link of grip strength. The stronger your grip, the more you can maintain a good hook grip without oversqueezing the handle, even when fatigued.

Discretion:
"Follow your hands" is a great phrase. I haven't had a hand tear in literally years, and a big reason is that I have learned to follow my hands and listen to what they are telling me. If they are telling me to call it a day, or switch to a different drill, then I do. How did I learn this? By paying the price for not learning it for an embarrassingly long time.

Technique:
One key is to keep the handle hooked in the fingers, and avoid gripping tightly when the handle is rotating. You also get a feel for when you need to grip more tightly and when you can relax. This not only reduces stress on the skin, but also minimizes fatigue so you can maintain good technique longer. By the way, I get calluses along the base of the fingers and at the top of the middle segment of the fingers near the distal joint. The segment where the OP got the tear is relatively soft and doesn't take much stress. I'm not saying my pattern of calluses and grip stress is more "correct," just making an observation.

There are a lot of subtleties to technique that can effect the grip. Small variations in timing, balance, and grip dynamics can have a big impact on grip stress.

For instance, in the swing, you want to minimize or eliminate rotation of the handle in the hand. Especially with a heavier bell or overspeed eccentric, even subtle rotation can put a lot of extra stress on the skin. You want a straight line of pull throughout the range of motion so the force on the hand compresses the tissue without pulling on it laterally. One way to do this is to be patient with the float and in the hole. If you are yanking the bell down into the downswing while it is still floating up, the handle is going to rotate and pull on the skin. If you start the hip drive too early before the backswing fully completes, you get a head on collision between the hips moving forward while the bell is still moving back. That wastes power, causes the bell to want to rotate and pull on the skin, and puts an abrupt tug on grip that increases stress on the skin as well.

You can also smooth out the force of the bell over the range of motion. If you let the bell fall loosely on the downswing and have to absorb all the force of the drop at the bottom, it's going to put more stress on the grip and skin. If you subtly absorb some of the force of the drop as bell falls, less will hit all at once at the bottom. A couple of cues I use for this are thinking of "counterbalancing" the bell or "playing tug o'war with the bell" on the way down. I also imagine a giant spring or rubber band going from the top of my head to the ceiling and imagine the force of the spring or the band resisting the hip hinge. But the force has to be absorbed through the line of the straight arm in a radial direction, not pulling up like an eccentric front raise.

As mentioned above, being patient out of the hole will will reduce stress on the grip and skin. And smoothly ramping up the force of the hip drive helps as well. If you try to blast the bell out of the hole with all your power at once, it create a very abrupt yank on the grip and also tends to inhibit the power of the hip drive as well (when your nervous system senses that your grip isn't totally secure, it will inhibit the force you exert on the bell). Instead of thinking about starting your hip drive strongly, think about finishing it strong with a smooth ramp of force. In my experience, this actually makes for a more powerful and objectively faster or higher swing, even though it is smoother and might subjectively feel slower.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Get your dialed in this weekend at the course.
And ask specific questions re: grip for the swing

I’m speaking relatively fact free, but to develop a callous or blister requires friction. It seems to me you are wrapping your fingers too far around the handle, causing weight on that spot and resulting friction when the bell rotates either at the bottom or at the ‘float’ at the top.

Hook the handle with your fingers, don’t wrap it. When you look down at your hand on the handle, you want to see the first finger joint, not just knuckles. This is critical with snatching and very important with swings.

Listen to Brett, ask at your course.

Thank you all for the input. I am mulling all of this over, esp. the points on technique. After nearly five years chasing Simple, you'd think I have dialed this in by now. But ultimately, I think the answer is going to be:

Get your dialed in this weekend at the course.
And ask specific questions re: grip for the swing

and see what comes of it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom