all posts post new thread

Teeny tiny pocket rocket tackling the kettlebell....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pinkninja

Level 3 Valued Member
Im 42 years old. A wife and mother of two teenage boys. I would consider myself to be at the very beginni g stage of kettlebell training. Ive been using a 10kg bell for about two months and Im very happy with my progress.
My fitness history started around age 14 where I was a swimmer, went through the aerobics classes phase, weight training, martial arts, trail running etc. I have noticed real significant changes in the strength of my core muscles since using the kettlebell in my workouts.

My weekly schedule is something like this:

Sunday: Trail run uphill for an hour.
Monday: Run for 30 minutes. KB swings two handed. 10 sets or ten minutes. Clean and press 3 sets of ten (5 each side) 10 minutes..
Tuesday: Weight training
Wedesday: Rest
Thursday: Run with kb following
Friday: Weights
Saturday: Trail run

The thing Ive really noticed is that my lower back pain is now non existent and it was chronic! My abs are so much stronger, my running is more powerful..and my posture has improved

Today I switched my run/kb workout around. I did 30 minutes of kb swing and clean and press first and then went for a run following..WOW...I felt like I was running on air...the difference I felt in my running was amazing. I think I will try doing kb before running more often..

Well while I was excited about starting with kettlebells and finishing with a run the other morning, today when I did the same thing but in the afternoon, I did NOT feel like I was running on air..I felt like I had dead legs lol! I guess it goes to show maybe my body likes exercise in the early morning rather than the afternoon. Oh well...

Welcome to the forum @Pinkninja. If you have any questions, please post them. There are many experienced kettlebell users & instructors that can give you in depth answers.

Thanks Michael. Ill be sure to post here for advice.. at the moment I only have a 10kg bell and I use it for clean and press and swings. Im thinking of moving up to 12kg

So now I know three kettlebell exercises and Ive been practising them for a couple of months. Im thinking of trying to learn the turkish get up but it looks pretty 'involved'..

If you can, seek out an SFG in your area, or attend the one day SFG class. There is nothing like getting expert first hand training while learning the basic movements. The TGU is a wonderful exercise, but you are correct that it does have a lot of moving parts. Even the swing has its components that should be learned correctly.

Have fun

Well I went into the sports shop today. The kbs happened to be 20% off which was all I needed to push me into buying one! I decided to move up just to 12kg..Im still not 100% strong on my clean and press so the 10kg will help with those but my two handed swing should benefit from the 12kg and possibly one handed swing if Im strong enough. I had to laugh today in the sports shop. I was telling the young salesman what I planned to use the kb for and that I have been using one for a while now. Anyway, once he'd found me the one I wanted, he offered to carry it to the counter for me and after paying for it, the young cashier asked me if I needed help getting it to my car.... wow I must look really frail or something. Maybe they were just being polite but I felt like saying 'hey, Im actually buying this so that I can swing it around for about 30 minutes quite fast sooo....no I wont need help carrying it 50m outside ... lol funny though. So tomorrow Im going to use it and aim to do half my sets with 12kg and the other half with my 10kg bell.

I was out running today and my mind wandered a bit. I started thinking about my current state of fitness. I can remember about ten years ago thinking that I felt fitter than Id ever been when I was younger. Now, at 42, strangely I feel even fitter than back then .I think its because Ive had a few struggles with back injuries but soldiered on regardless. Now, with kettlebells, my back has deve.loped a lot of strength so when I run, I run much stronger. My core is helping me run better if that makes sense. I owe a lot to the humble kb.

I made the comment to one of my ruggers that it is amazing how 16 kg can kick your butt. This simple piece of cast iron is an amazing instrument of fitness when utilized properly.

I was out running today and my mind wandered a bit. I started thinking about my current state of fitness. I can remember about ten years ago thinking that I felt fitter than Id ever been when I was younger. Now, at 42, strangely I feel even fitter than back then .I think its because Ive had a few struggles with back injuries but soldiered on regardless. Now, with kettlebells, my back has deve.loped a lot of strength so when I run, I run much stronger. My core is helping me run better if that makes sense. I owe a lot to the humble kb.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom