all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Temporary replacement for TGUs in S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
Me again. :)

I wonder if there are some replacement exercises for the TGUs in S&S I could do for a bit until my shoulder fully heals up, basically exercises that don't involve putting anything up over my head, but that will maintain as much of my TGU strength, and the benefits of TGUs as part of S&S, as possible.

Me again. :)

I wonder if there are some replacement exercises for the TGUs in S&S I could do for a bit until my shoulder fully heals up, basically exercises that don't involve putting anything up over my head, but that will maintain as much of my TGU strength, and the benefits of TGUs as part of S&S, as possible.
Yes of course... the TacGU
The Tactical Get-up. Did them for months whilst waiting for my shoulder and biceps tendon to calm down.
I could still do swings, so I just dropped them right into S&S where the TGU is; and it worked a treat...

Hard to say without knowing what the injury is, however you could try get ups with a sandbag on your shoulder see if that works.

The Tactical Get-up. Did them for months whilst waiting for my shoulder and biceps tendon to calm down.
I could still do swings, so I just dropped them right into S&S where the TGU is; and it worked a treat...
Weighted?

I like the suggestions so far. I would go light. What about working on your bottoms up kbell moves. I like the bottoms up kbell rack position farmers walks. Also, I like the bottoms up kbell 1 arm bench press (where half your body is hanging off the bench). These unilateral exercises will work a lot of the stabilizer muscles the TGU hits. Also consider band pull downs, a light pulling movement that may help your shoulder.

Regards,

Eric

I like the suggestions so far. I would go light. What about working on your bottoms up kbell moves. I like the bottoms up kbell rack position farmers walks. Also, I like the bottoms up kbell 1 arm bench press (where half your body is hanging off the bench). These unilateral exercises will work a lot of the stabilizer muscles the TGU hits. Also consider band pull downs, a light pulling movement that may help your shoulder.

Regards,

Eric
These are good ideas.

Videos on Youtube show the weight being held over the head still. I don't think this is the kind you mean...?

Is it the load or the movement? If it's about the load, how about doing the TGU with a cup of water or a shoe or such? It is a great exercise done so... and maybe a better one.

Ok, if may join with my question, let's say it's a matter of hand placement, how TacGU should look like? Or is there olny one variation of this exercise? Military personnel might have a weapon in their hands and TacGU as shown in most videos on YT would be difficult to perform for them.

Leopard Crawling is really similar to the TGU in a lot of ways and can maintain and build a lot of strength (even 1 arm pushups). Plus it helps with coordination and joint stability.

I would try to accumulate 3-5 minutes in as few sets as possible, if done daily. You could build up to 10 minutes.

Google "Aleks Salkin Crawling" and you will find plenty of good information and demonstrations.

There's a lot to be gained from varied get ups, done with a light bell or no bell.
My favourite movement session is just that.
If a light get up causes no pain it's still a get up. Just sub out heavy for light! And variety!

I don't have a link. Refer to S&S. Instead of shouldering a rifle as in the photos there, shoulder a KB instead.
Note: can also be done with a sandbag resting on the shoulder...
It's good to know that it's doable like this. Seems the most similar thing to a "real TGU". I can do the TGU with my right arm, it's the left shoulder that is causing the problem. I appreciate your help. :) Thank you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom