all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Tennis elbow after S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi,

I am a 34 year old male who have been playing around With kettlebells for around 10 years, without having enough stamina to stay on one program for a long time. Last Autumn I decided to change this.

Therefore I have been doing S&S almost every day for around 3 months. I am currently using the 32 kilos for 6 sets, and the 24 kilo for 4 sets in the swing. In TGU I am using the 24 kilo for two sets, and the 28 kilo for Three sets.

Everything is going fine and I 'm getting a fair amount of progress. Lately I have however been feeling some slight tennis elbow pain. The pain does not bother me when I am doing one handed or two handed swings, nor when I am doing TGU. I only feel the pain when I am pushing on the tendon. I also feel some slight discomfort when I am writing on my computer.

So I have two questions:

1) What should I do know to get rid of the pain ?

2) What can I do longterm to prevent myself from getting injured again later.

All replies are most welcome.

Anders

2) Remember - no bending in the elbows when swinging.

AND when doing TGUs. It is very easy to fool yourself into thinking your arm is locked out, when it is actually only ALMOST locked out.

Get in the habit of frequently checking your lockout by contracting your triceps throughout the TGU. It's very easy to lose it when you are focusing on other aspects of the movement.

Last edited:
G
AND when doing TGUs. It is very easy to fool yourself into thinking your arm is locked out, when it is actually only ALMOST locked out.
Good point. I will also mention that you need to watch your wrists on TGU's too. Letting the kettlebell bend your wrist back can cause elbow problems too. Along with the arm lock out, pay attention to your wrist integrity.

My only advice is to avoid the movements that cause the pain. S&S done correctly should avoid elbow pain (except for probably curling you goblet squats or doing a 1 arm floor press on the first part of the TGU). I've used S&S in the past as a break from elbow-pain inducing barbell training. Good Luck!

Sorry for bumbing my own thread.

I just notice that injuries and aches are very unevenly Distributed among my two arms:

My right arm (my dominant arm): No Paints, neither in shoulder, triceps, elbow or underarm.

My left arm: A bit unstable shoulder that is sometimes quite stiff in the trapezius. Triceps/elbow is often a bit sore. And now also the underarm flexor is full of aches.

Not sure if this is relevant information but are there some Things I can do that can solve it all ?

I also have this problem whenever I run S&S, and i found that doing fingertip pushups at the end of each session. Slow and controlled, just working up to 5's and then nothing higher, just focusing on tension. I read that it can be caused by a strength imbalance through the backside of the hand and forearm, so strengthening those muscles helped me

For me, an easy day in S & S is one where I do less of the S & S warm-ups. Specifically, my elbows sometimes need a break from the prying curling goblet squat. While I appreciate this type of squat and all of its benefits, calling this squat a warm-up can sometimes cause me to overlook the fact that I sometimes need recovery time from it.

Hi,

I am a 34 year old male who have been playing around With kettlebells for around 10 years, without having enough stamina to stay on one program for a long time. Last Autumn I decided to change this.

Therefore I have been doing S&S almost every day for around 3 months. I am currently using the 32 kilos for 6 sets, and the 24 kilo for 4 sets in the swing. In TGU I am using the 24 kilo for two sets, and the 28 kilo for Three sets.

Everything is going fine and I 'm getting a fair amount of progress. Lately I have however been feeling some slight tennis elbow pain. The pain does not bother me when I am doing one handed or two handed swings, nor when I am doing TGU. I only feel the pain when I am pushing on the tendon. I also feel some slight discomfort when I am writing on my computer.

So I have two questions:

1) What should I do know to get rid of the pain ?

2) What can I do longterm to prevent myself from getting injured again later.

All replies are most welcome.

Anders

Most of the tennis elbow issues come from gripping too tightly. Not a doctor, but tennis player. However, there is an awesome fix for it. This took care of all my issues.

@Anders I recall reading in the TGu manual that came with Kalos Sthenos that wrist extension in the get up could cause tennis elbow. I love the cue about treating the handle like a motorcycle throttle and revving into a bit of flexion or at least truly neutral.

A few cues which helped me, some of which from this thread:
1. Squeeze both rhomboids.
2. Motorcycle throttle forearm.
3. My elbows hyperextend, so micro bend in the elbow engaged bicep.

Conclusion: any pain is due to a lack of proper engagement. Remain curious, find the disfunction, find the fix.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom