all posts post new thread

Nutrition Testosterone in relation to oats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rayhzel

Level 3 Valued Member
So lately I have dived into the wonderful world of testorone. Great hormone right there no question.
However I've been reading some sources that state you should stay away from oats, as it would be a killer to your testosterone. Other sources (most of them actually) say oats are the best thing that could possibly happen to it.

What is your take on this?
So far most sources I can find make me think I should just stay with the oats, but I am curious about other opinions.

Well first thing is that I'm not a nutritionist, or a scientist... Just another guy with an opinion.

I'm thinking that this might fall into the 'everything in moderation' category. From the little I know, things like lack of sleep, and under-recovery are probably way more damaging to testosterone than a tasty bowl of steel cut oatmeal.
It would of course be interesting if someone in the SF form community had some data and science to add to the discussion; one way or the other...

From some of the reading I've done, it's usually the Paleo or Paleoish guys that say oats are no good. A few of the "T" enhancing guys say oats are good. Kind of like carbs in general. The "T" guys say the no carb diet is not good for testosterone production and that we do need carbs. Not a fill your face with all the carbs you can eat amount though.

Yeah I think so too.
From what I understand foods with a high glycemic index are bad for testosterone.
Oats are definitely on the low side of things

Oats is for racehorses, and women and men working (racing) like one.

One has to "ease into it", as all the fiber gives the digestive system something work.

A good amount of oats, some milk, cinnamon, a banana or apple in a pot, 2-3 minutes on a stove. Simple & delicious. Energy providing and satiating.

Dan John recommends oatmeal as a great food for recovery for strength training...there's some practical experience right there..

So much nutrition "research" is junk it's hard to believe anything you read.

My T improves the most when my daily breakfast is a few eggs and a bowl of oatmeal. Could be more correlated variables but it is enough that I notice it.

Oats by themself won't have a significant impact on your t one way or another. There is,however, research showing that low carb diets have a negative effect on t.

Oats by themself won't have a significant impact on your t one way or another. There is,however, research showing that low carb diets have a negative effect on t.

Interesting, and concerning. Diabetics usually are instructed to restrict carb intake, as carbs usually turn to sugars stored in the body. So, that research is basically, to me anyway, stating that as a diabetic, the diet I need to follow to keep my blood sugar in check, could have a negative impact on my "T" levels.

Interesting, and concerning. Diabetics usually are instructed to restrict carb intake, as carbs usually turn to sugars stored in the body. So, that research is basically, to me anyway, stating that as a diabetic, the diet I need to follow to keep my blood sugar in check, could have a negative impact on my "T" levels.

Probably not, your T levels are likely impacted by blood sugar levels more than total carb intake.

My opinion, oats are good. I put a cup of them in my homemade protein shakes (when I'm trying to put on weight). I don't avoid them in any case.

As so much of nutrition science seems to blow in the wind of the latest research, individual results may vary!

Testosterone is a hormone that is produced in large amounts by males (and a little bit in females), in the testes and adrenal glands. High testosterone levels are related with sexual performance, reproductive function, muscle mass, hair growth, aggressive, competitive behaviors, and other such manly things.
Veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage work to lower the levels of estrogen (a female hormone) in our body, thus boosting testosterone levels.
Brazil nuts, cashews, peanuts and other nuts high in monounsaturated fats, as men who usually consume these fats have higher testosterone levels than men who don't.
Compounds in oats called gravesides can limit the level of sex-hormone-binding globulin in the system, thus increasing testosterone levels.

Last week the motel I stay at was giving away free breakfast everyday. Luckily, they let me get breakfast at night when I usually eat. I got a big bowl of oatmeal each night and found I was a little "stiffer" in the morning. Not much else was different. I might keep track and see if the trend keeps "up".

Hello,

When there are the same number of "pro" and "con" studies...to me it fall in the "I can eat it in small quantities" category.

It is not in the paleo diet due to gluten and digestion (it is supposed to be bad for stomach permeability).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Low calorie and low carb diets have been shown to decrease T levels.
I cannot see any evidence against oats. I think the anti-T claims might refer to oat's fibre content. Excessive amounts of fibre favour the excretion of cholesterol. Since cholesterol is a necessary precoursor for T it might refer to that. But in the other hand fibre is necessary for gut health, gut microbes and overall health and satiety. As long as you do not exceed 60-70g fibre/day you really do not have to worry.

Hello,

As @offwidth said
'everything in moderation' category
I believe it is true.

Even if I am running a 80% paleo diet I still keep eating a little oats every morning. Everything is just fine. There is a kind of "tolerance" in each diet.

As long as wedo not abuse, we do not have to be "close-minded" and accept the fact that there is no "magic diet". A diet works for a person and not for another.

Kind regards,

Pet'

As with many of these ancestral sound bites of a bygone era, your grandma used to say etc, there is some elemental health connection: eat your greens, an apple a day etc. We have a euphemism in these parts: "are you getting your oats?".....you know, ooh-er madam, nudge, nudge, wink, wink......so maybe oats are good for that sort of thing. Chuck in some oysters, put on the Barry White album......

Hello,

As long as you feel good with the diet you currently have, and if you do regular check ups to be sure there is no problem, we can keep eating what we eat without change.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom