all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU arm roll form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dirtbikemike

Level 1 Valued Member
I’ve been having trouble with the forearm roll. I’m not sure if it’s a mobility issue or what. Even with no bell I cannot keep my shoulder packed while rolling. I’ve been trying to do the roll as rapidly as I can and during the transition my shoulder rolls forward just a little bit, very briefly for a tiny fraction of a second. Once I’m on my forearm my shoulder is immediately packed. Is it possible for the top of your shoulder to roll forward slightly while packed?

FWIW I realized recently that if I think more about pushing through my heel and rolling the pelvis onto my hip, everything falls into place smoothly. If I focus too much on driving through my elbow, the movement is too “jerky.”

The key is a bit of balance between the two.

@Dirtbikemike

Practice from the top down by working the negative. From the elbow post position, make a fist and drive your elbow down and back into the deck to pack the shoulder. Keep the tension as you descend to the deck. Practice with just bodyweight or balancing a shoe for 3-5 reps each side, rest, then do it again 3-5 reps.

I don't have a video, but a great partner drill is when your partner holds a wooden dowel firmly in place while you grab on to it with your hand and pull back as you descend to the deck. Pulling on the dowel will turn your lat on and help with packing the shoulder.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom