all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
They look good IMO!

I'll take the opportunity to ask this: for the extended leg, is it a requirement to keep the foot pointing up?

I'll take the opportunity to ask this: for the extended leg, is it a requirement to keep the foot pointing up?

I don't think it's a requirement per se, but more good practice to keep the extended leg engaged, especially if you have a tendency (like I do) to let the foot come up. I had an instructor once put his leg against my foot and told me to me to try and push through his leg with my heel. That cue helps me out a lot. 28kg and my leg still pops up for now.

@Ryan T : your get up looks really good overall. As you noticed yourself, the roll to elbow can be improved on the ascent and descend. When you watch carefully in slowmo, you see that your shoulder gets unpacked on the roll to elbow side and the elbow on the bell side gets unlocked. The main reason in my opinion is a bit to much rush. Calmness and attention will help.

- You could pay a bit more attention on foot placement of the bent leg. Try to bring the heel as far back as possible and maybe a bit more to the outside. You want to have the best leverage for the heel strike you can get.
- what I like to do is to initiate the move with heel strike, to get the torso moving towards the side and when the torso is just moving, I pretend to squeeze my elbow to the torso and drive it to the ground as hard as possible that engages the lat, rhomboids and rear deltoids to pack the shoulder.
- when getting down place your free hand a bit more away from your body (more like in your first video, in the second video your elbow lacks space for leverage and your shoulder then literally gets crushed) then try to push the floor with your hand and then with your elbow away from you which will help shoulder packing

what is really helpful, is to practice just these cues on a few consecutive reps, roll to elbow rolling down, roll to elbow rolling down...deliberately and slowly. I will bet with just a bit of practice Your leg stays on the floor even with the 28k and your shoulder stays packed and the other elbow stays locked out.

@Harald Motz Thanks so much for the feedback.

- You could pay a bit more attention on foot placement of the bent leg. Try to bring the heel as far back as possible and maybe a bit more to the outside. You want to have the best leverage for the heel strike you can get.

When you say as far back as possible you are referring to bringing decreasing the distance from the heel to the glute for more driving power correct? I'll try to get it a little further to the outside as well.

- when getting down place your free hand a bit more away from your body (more like in your first video, in the second video your elbow lacks space for leverage and your shoulder then literally gets crushed) then try to push the floor with your hand and then with your elbow away from you which will help shoulder packing

Thanks for picking up on that. I looked at the vids and you're right. I see the difference between the two.

Tomorrow and Monday are rest/restorative days. I will do some consecutive rep practice on my sticking areas unloaded and working through 8kg and 12kg pretending that they're 24kg and 28kg. Nice and smooth and deliberate.

Your foot placement on your first video seems to be better, more away to the side, and your roll looks better also. Play a bit deliberately with it and you will get your best leverage.

As pointed out shoulder shrug on ascent and descent to and from elbow. You can fix that by placing the hand at about a 45 off the torso, you are too high in the beginning.

On the way down you also have the arm and hand too high again and when you try to push away you can not so it collapses.

On the step back in the descent if you step another inch or two longer you will not have to move the front foot again on the way down, that is technique only no big deal. :)

Nice get ups overall.

I have a couple more vidoes that I took of my first venture with the 28kg, the first and last sets. I thought it would be good to show look for form breakdown with fatigue. Some of the things I notice:
  • Supporting arm still goes a little too much behind me on the rollup.
  • Foot placement during the first GU on standing is not perfect.
  • My should looks like it's a little unpacked, but the lat was fully engaged so I wonder if it's an anatomy thing. Would probably be easier to see without a shirt, but I'm not doing that :)

First set

Last set

Overall, regardless of the imperfections in the technique, I think I'm making good progress. I am learning to tension the midsection better, and pull/push with the lat during the roll up/down. Any other additional feedback is appreciated.

@Ryan T : keep paying attention on your roll to elbow: I get the impression you still shrug the shoulders, and drive a bit with your head. I'm no instructor, but I would do some TGU's with a lighter weight and go slower, especially in the roll to elbow, to get a good feel for the movement and which muscles / part of the body you are actually using.

Great progression and less than 1 years time. You're doing awesome. I learned a few things myself from this video, and the critique of your videos

You made great progress in the Getup Ryan.

I've linked a couple articles (and comparative photos) in case you're interested in further tweaks.

Tip 1: Vic's tip to pre-align your shoulders

Tall-Sit-Comparison-Alignment.jpg

This is a comparison from SFG 2 Vic Verdier's article:
How Video can Improve your TGU: Videoception | StrongFirst

Tip 2: Brett's Tip to externally rotate the arm for the roll to elbow.

Screenshot_20190120-185957.png

This is a comparison from Brett Jones's article:
Something Old is New Again: Refining Your Get-up | StrongFirst

I really enjoyed how you've continued to update the original post to show how much progress you've made.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom