all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU Form Check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Max Parish

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hello,

I've been working on S&S. I just finished four weeks with a 24k. I did my first two 32k TGUs yesterday. These video clips are from today. This is my third and fourth rep with the 32k (also rep 3 and 4 in the set of 10 for this session). The 24K feels very solid, but as you can see, the 32k is a bit wobbly.

Right:
Left:

Here are a few issues.

To feel solid in the sitting up position, I need to adjust my hand up closer to my body. But then, on the way down, that means I'd need to adjust my hand out, before going down to my elbow. It feels very unstable to try to do that. The result is that my elbow crowds my body as I lay back down. You can see this in both clips. Advice?

Is my stance too wide in the lunge, especially on the right hand lift?

In the tripod position, should my arms be more perpendicular to the floor? Right now it feels comfortable to keep the weight more over my body, with the result that my planted hand is not directly under the weight. That position feels solid, but I'm not sure it's correct.

Thanks for any tips!

Max

Looks good to me.. Is this your first time to do 32kg getups? The first few sessions with a given weight is always wobbly at the start

Looks great, @Max Parish !

Strong, graceful transitions, nice timing, all positions and movement look correct.

The only minor things I would suggest are the exact three things you picked up on already.

Yes, you can adjust your hand either going up or down... just sit ups straighter so the weight is mostly supported by your sit, not your hand. Or if that just doesn't feel right, what you have now is fine. I actually think on the way down it's the placement of your hips/butt back on the ground that could be adjusted. Just play with that back and forth without a kettlebell to fine tune. On the way up, your elbow is a bit out from your center. You want it right under the shoulder. Keep bottom shoulder packed in all positions and transitions... active lat, shoulder connected to torso.

Stance possibly a bit wide on lunge, yes. Just step the front foot in a few inches before standing.

Tripod position, weight over hand, seems to be a preference thing. I like to shift my weight so it's completely over the supporting hand, and my leg is high and free-floating as it moves forward. (Slow-mo video, skip to 10:10 for best view). But others barely shift the weight off the leg, some even keeping some weight on the bottom leg (contact with the ground) as it folds under them and and slides forward. Either is OK for standard.

Looks good to me.. Is this your first time to do 32kg getups? The first few sessions with a given weight is always wobbly at the start
Hi Mark - Thanks for the response. Yes, this was my third and fourth rep (lifetime total) with a 32k. I've done some 2H swings with a 32K, but never a TGU until this week.

Looks great, @Max Parish !

Strong, graceful transitions, nice timing, all positions and movement look correct.

The only minor things I would suggest are the exact three things you picked up on already.

Yes, you can adjust your hand either going up or down... just sit ups straighter so the weight is mostly supported by your sit, not your hand. Or if that just doesn't feel right, what you have now is fine. I actually think on the way down it's the placement of your hips/butt back on the ground that could be adjusted. Just play with that back and forth without a kettlebell to fine tune. On the way up, your elbow is a bit out from your center. You want it right under the shoulder. Keep bottom shoulder packed in all positions and transitions... active lat, shoulder connected to torso.

Stance possibly a bit wide on lunge, yes. Just step the front foot in a few inches before standing.

Tripod position, weight over hand, seems to be a preference thing. I like to shift my weight so it's completely over the supporting hand, and my leg is high and free-floating as it moves forward. (Slow-mo video, skip to 10:10 for best view). But others barely shift the weight off the leg, some even keeping some weight on the bottom leg (contact with the ground) as it folds under them and and slides forward. Either is OK for standard.
Thanks, Anna. This is very helpful. I'll play with the hand and elbow placement to refine.

So I'll get a few more reps in with that weight, observe what you noticed vs the lighter weight and make the adjustments as needed..

Once you start going heavier, gaps will be exposed.. it's seldom picturesque when using a newer weight so allow room for error :)

By the way, Anna, the slow-mo videos are helpful. I also found your slow-mo snatch video. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom