all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU Form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BJJ Shawn

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello all, I’m in the third week of adding 32kg TGU’s to S&S, so I’m currently only doing 2 per day at this weight. Before I get too far, can I get a form check? They feel pretty good, but I’d like to have more opinions before I use bad form for too long.

A strong and solid looking get up, good work.

One thing to look at is where you place the hand on the way back down, after the windshield wiper and hip hinge. Try setting the hand down in line with the down knee (in line straight out from the knee).

Currently you are placing the hand behind you, which is forcing you to move the hand as you are coming down onto the elbow. If you can find the correct hand placement for you, it will eliminate the need for moving the hand while transitioning to the elbow, and should give you a stronger shoulder position. I hope that makes sense.

A strong and solid looking get up, good work.

One thing to look at is where you place the hand on the way back down, after the windshield wiper and hip hinge. Try setting the hand down in line with the down knee (in line straight out from the knee).

Currently you are placing the hand behind you, which is forcing you to move the hand as you are coming down onto the elbow. If you can find the correct hand placement for you, it will eliminate the need for moving the hand while transitioning to the elbow, and should give you a stronger shoulder position. I hope that makes sense.
Yes, makes sense and I didn’t think about that before, thank you.

It's a decent start

Here's what you can do better

1. When filming make sure you include the feet

2. Notice as you approach the kneeling windmill on the way down you reach back??? If you focus on folding at the hip (imagine trying to sit down on your opposite ankle) you'll find your free hand will touch the floor by default and you will be at a more solid alignment

A great trick for hand in alignment with the knee (from SFG Martine Kerr and her excellent kultfitness Instagram page)....once in the lunge, touch that leg you are kneeling on, run your hand down the thigh and walk your hand off the leg onto the floor...your hand will then be in perfect alignment with your knee and not too far in front or behind it.

If it’s SFG certification course getup skill test, I’d say that is a pass.
You can turn your face forward earlier as your lower hand leaves the floor for half kneeling.

Hello all,

I have been doing 32kg TGU's for a few months now, so hoping for some additional pointers. After watching this, it looks like I don't hold tension and breathe behind the shield throughout, but it sure felt like I was, so I think that's something I need to work on. Here's an updated video for a new form check:

Hello all,

I have been doing 32kg TGU's for a few months now, so hoping for some additional pointers. After watching this, it looks like I don't hold tension and breathe behind the shield throughout, but it sure felt like I was, so I think that's something I need to work on. Here's an updated video for a new form check:

Looks good to me @BJJ Shawn ! All the movements and transitions look fine, IMO.

I think your breathing is fine. I find it helpful to sometimes practice power breathing and maximum tension where the breath is concerned because it actually does help when doing a get-up with close to maximal weight. You know, hissing and all that. But for a weight that I might do 5 reps without too much trouble, I just breath about like you are. And, at the other end of the spectrum, when doing a get-up with a light weight for mobility or movement practice, I might nose breathe and keep the breathing purposely slow, deeper, and more relaxed.

One thing you might want to experiment with is keeping the hips more level in the tall sit so both sides are near or on the ground, instead of all weight on the loaded side.

And one other thing I would suggest is making the floor press (and reverse) more of a deliberate action. In the first movement, roll to your back with the kettlebell in your hand and your elbow on the floor, get your legs in place, then with the forearm vertical press the kettlebell up (either slightly assisted with the other hand, or not). Same thing on the reverse, after the back is on the ground and the arm is straight, do a slow and controlled descent of the bell with a vertical forearm until the elbow hits the ground, then roll to the side. Example in this slow-mo get-up video. It's more a matter of a missed opportunity than anything else... might as well get a good floor press in for each rep, IMO, especially if you're not regularly bench pressing or doing push-ups.

Those looked great BJJShawn! I'm slowly moving up the TGU ladder myself (slowly at 61 yrs old) and currently at 20kg. If I can achieve a 24K bell in the near future 'll be one proud dude! Nice video also.... great inspiration for me, Sir!

Fantastic work @BJJ Shawn - seriously great stuff!

When putting the bell back down, I would do what @Anna C recommends (which as a general rule is a pretty good one) and do a controlled negative press and then roll your body over to park the bell. As-is, with a heavier weight, you could easily injure yourself if you try and bring the bell down AND place it away from your body in one big movement.

Hello all,

Nice work! Very controlled :)

Just a few ideas to play with:
- Are the elbows locked out? What about squeezing the pinky finger more? Does this improve the movement?
- Exerpimenting with different positions of the supporting arm on the way down (right now, the elbow position looks a bit "crunched" on the way down, at least on the second TGU)
- Can you bring your biceps closer to you ear during the overhead phase?

Not sure if this would or should change anything, but I think it could be a good idea to explore a few minor variations :)

Anyway, the 32 kg looks like a medium to medium-heavy bell in your hands, so that's a good sign :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom