all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU form critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Very nice. Technique looks good to me. I would suggest more slow and controlled transitions, but all the positions look good. You also might get more benefit out of the final transition from elbow to floor if you slow that down and have your elbow a bit closer to your body, really making your abs do the work to bring your body down.

@twowheels24 :

- keep neutral wrist on the kettlebell side
- keep straight elbow (e.g. in tall sit position)
- when going down form the lunge to kneeling windmill, hinge to the side, don't reach back (your back foot, knee and palm will be in straight line)
- no jerky transitions
- and of course, once you master the movement, get a heavier bell :)

Looks good in general, but one thing i noticed, everytime you're in the "windshild wiper" your hand, knee and foot are supposed to form a straight line, you don't do that.

Edit: Pavel beat me on that :)

what PM said - especially the neutral wrist, this is very important - when you perform with the bell in your left hand your wrist is bent back - that will put you in danger of injury and will limit your ability to progress into heavier weights - use the old adage "there are no wrists in fighting" and apply this very strictly to your kettlebell practice. Also, you may want to grab your bell closer to the bend, as you get heavier this will help the bell sit properly in the hand and against the back of the wrist. and this might seem nit picky, but i believe it is worth mentioning, dont transfer the bell between reps across your face, i know the bell you are practicing with is relatively light, but either drag the bell on the floor above the top of your head or let the bell sit and move your body around to the other side, build habits with lighter weights which will transfer safely and effectively as you progress.

Reactions: krg
Good catch on the wrist, guys! I totally had that problem myself, about a year ago. I was up to 24kg before I realized I was doing it. Then it took a while for my wrist strength to catch up with everything else.

apart from what everyone said, try to go slower.. it helps you correct the small details and tighten up your techniqie

- when going down form the lunge to kneeling windmill, hinge to the side, don't reach back (your back foot, knee and palm will be in straight line)

This.

0:34 -> 0:36 looks particularly ugly.

But overall your technique is good.

There's some good advice above.

The only thing I could add would be to keep a lot more tension in the last part of the movement where you lower your head & torso to the floor. A bigger bell will drill you into the floor if you relax before you are all the way down.

It's better form than I was using when I began though, better than many that haven't had any instruction too I'd suggest.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom