all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU form question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anth

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello!
I have a few specific form questions:
1. Am I doing the first few moves correctly? Specifically roll to press and press?
2. Can I use my free hand to assist in the press or the lowing of the bell at the end?

Any other general form tips would also be appreciated. I'm only doing a 3/4 TGU in this video.

Thank you in advance!

Anth,

Two hands is recommended to get the KB up and down from the floor. Once the KB if off the ground and into a good pressing position, two hands are optional (although I still recommend all my students use two). But definitely use both hands to pick it up and park it. You want to turn your whole body towards the kettlebell so that your sternum is pointed at it, rather than laying flat on your back and trying to pick it up / put it down off to the side of your body.

Regarding your movement, keep an eye on the shoulder of your bottom arm (in this case your left). It appears to be shrugging a bit at various stages. I would advise you to "push the floor away" with that support arm and create more space between your shoulder and your ear. See attached screen shots.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 11.14.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 11.14.21 AM.png
    524.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 11.14.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 11.14.11 AM.png
    539.3 KB · Views: 7
Anth,

Two hands is recommended to get the KB up and down from the floor. Once the KB if off the ground and into a good pressing position, two hands are optional (although I still recommend all my students use two). But definitely use both hands to pick it up and park it. You want to turn your whole body towards the kettlebell so that your sternum is pointed at it, rather than laying flat on your back and trying to pick it up / put it down off to the side of your body.

Regarding your movement, keep an eye on the shoulder of your bottom arm (in this case your left). It appears to be shrugging a bit at various stages. I would advise you to "push the floor away" with that support arm and create more space between your shoulder and your ear. See attached screen shots.

Thank you! I saw that in the video also and I wondered if that's what people meant by "shrugging." That helps a lot.

And regarding the first part of your comment, about picking the KB up. I feel like, based on your description, I am doing it correctly in the video (though I think my press form is not great). Am I correct in saying that?

Thank you! I saw that in the video also and I wondered if that's what people meant by "shrugging." That helps a lot.

And regarding the first part of your comment, about picking the KB up. I feel like, based on your description, I am doing it correctly in the video (though I think my press form is not great). Am I correct in saying that?

I would actually recommend keeping the working arm closer to your body as you park the KB. There is a big gap between your upper arm and your body (almost 90 degrees) whereas there should be essentially no gap at all. Try to park the KB by using two hands to pull the KB to your stomach, then maintain a two-handed grip as your roll your body to the side to park the KB. The KB should not really lose contact with your stomach until it is parked. Getting it up into position to start a rep would be the reverse of that action.

As others have said, watch that supporting shoulder. I would also add, on the way down, put your non-KB hand onto your thigh, slide it to the floor and into position, then bend at the elbow to get your forearm on the floor. If you lift your arm up and place it when tired, you could collapse and drop the bell on you. Not a pretty sight......

Have a look here :

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom