all posts post new thread

Off-Topic TGU outstretched arm on floor angle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
I remember sometime ago there was discussion of the floor arm angle with shoulder but can't find it. Everything I've seen on internet searching as well as SF says 45 degrees except sandbag videos. They generally have the angle greater than 90 degrees, hand "above" shoulder. Sandbag training orientation does seem to be more about reps per time i.e. speed tgu's as opposed to pure strength. Is that the difference right there i.e. strength vs strength-endurance?

I stopped doing tgu's w/ kb and dumbbell because one arthritic shoulder, with the slightest wobble off perfect alignment, shoots nerve pain and turns to boiled spaghetti. But I'm certain I am as strong or stronger now that I was when I could do 10 with 24 kg kettlebell with no rest between reps other than alternating sides. With a 50 lb sandbag, I am pinned like a bug to the floor with my arm at 45 degrees. If I open the angle to past 90 degrees, no problem and I can do them smoothly and without straining.

Any comments? TIA

The moment arm (?) is a lot longer with a sandbag, any mass higher than your shoulder is adding resistance above and beyond its actual mass.

The initial roll to elbow requires some form of leg kick, more of a roll to the side (I wind up full contact hip/ ribcage) or the support arm open - again to make the roll easier.

Another factor with KB TGU roll to elbow that is completely lacking with sandbag, the ability to sway the KB in the direction you're headed, leading with it a bit.

Thank you. With 50 lbs sandbag I can execute smoothly without leg kick nearly 100% of the time. But then, once I get that far it feels like I could easily add some pounds. So maybe given the dynamics, it might be time for procuring another bag of play sand ;)

I remember sometime ago there was discussion of the floor arm angle with shoulder but can't find it. Everything I've seen on internet searching as well as SF says 45 degrees except sandbag videos. They generally have the angle greater than 90 degrees, hand "above" shoulder. Sandbag training orientation does seem to be more about reps per time i.e. speed tgu's as opposed to pure strength. Is that the difference right there i.e. strength vs strength-endurance?

I stopped doing tgu's w/ kb and dumbbell because one arthritic shoulder, with the slightest wobble off perfect alignment, shoots nerve pain and turns to boiled spaghetti. But I'm certain I am as strong or stronger now that I was when I could do 10 with 24 kg kettlebell with no rest between reps other than alternating sides. With a 50 lb sandbag, I am pinned like a bug to the floor with my arm at 45 degrees. If I open the angle to past 90 degrees, no problem and I can do them smoothly and without straining.

Any comments? TIA
Generally a 45° angle is recommended. Personally I prefer a wider angle, something I picked up from watching Harald Motz doing heavy TGUs.

I would say: Experiment with it. maybe try it with shoe TGUs and lighter KBs first. Or practice only the roll to elbow with a heavier KB.

I remember that Harold Motz video and if I remember correctly, he referred to it as "cheating a bit". That's in part what prompted my question. I've been doing TGU's quite a few years though only up to 24 kg, not that my form could not use a tune-up but just that the diffence in difficulty at different arm angle was so striking.

Thank you. With 50 lbs sandbag I can execute smoothly without leg kick nearly 100% of the time. But then, once I get that far it feels like I could easily add some pounds. So maybe given the dynamics, it might be time for procuring another bag of play sand ;)

Where exactly the load is positioned makes a huge difference in the mechanics. There are many ways to do a sandbag getup. With a KB posted overhead there is not a lot of wiggle room for different mechanics.

I fiddled around with bag position and for the moment at least have settled on a little more of it in front of my shoulder than is behind me. Further forward seems easier to do the initial roll to elbow but as soon as I'm more vertical I find myself wanting to adjust and shift it a bit back.

I fiddled around with bag position and for the moment at least have settled on a little more of it in front of my shoulder than is behind me. Further forward seems easier to do the initial roll to elbow but as soon as I'm more vertical I find myself wanting to adjust and shift it a bit back.
That is exactly how I do it, unless doing from a prone start.

Just did some and yes, emphasizing pressing down with the hand and not just the elbow gets there I think; that includes the entire forearm from start of roll to finishing

here's my timeless sinister getup attempt. See if the way I angle my arm and free side leg would be beneficial to your own practice..

WOW! Looking good... My arm does need to be at much higher angle or it feels like it's in the way and I"m as if nailed to the floor. But the rolling up onto forearm looks same. Thanks for posting that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom