all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU Phase 1 : To Elbow

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Elford

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi all : I've been lurking for a while ... this is my first post
Looking for advice on TGU Phase 1
I am transitioning from 24Kg to 32Kg and very quickly I realised that Phase 1 needs the most work
With KB in my right hand I can't seem to get any power transfer through my right foot, even though on the way back down that's my main bracing point.
This means that Phase 1 is mainly done with momentum ... OK for 24Kg but I can't get away with it when using 32Kg

On the way up: right shoulder lifts, body twists up onto left elbow, then right hip. Right leg is just a passenger, left elbow is just pivot point
On the way down: From left elbow, down to left shoulder then right shoulder - then right hip last to touch down. By keeping the hip up I get enough bracing through the leg to avoid just collapsing. Right leg is engaged and pushing all the way down

So...
On the way up I could lead with the right hip first, before the right shoulder - this puts the leg in a position to drive, similar to how I come down ... but doesn't sound right(?)
Today I experimented with pulling my right foot in much closer to my right hip (touching) This helped - but just checked S&S and it specifically says not to do this.

Where do I get the power from??

Not an SFG, but if I were you, I'd look at the angle between your left arm (with KB in the right hand) and your body, and between your right leg and your body. I suspect your leg angle is more acute than you need it to be. I've also found that the feeling of using my right leg to drive my left heel into the ground give me the bracing I need.

Welcome to the fora!

I am transitioning from 24Kg to 32Kg and very quickly I realised that Phase 1 needs the most work
With KB in my right hand I can't seem to get any power transfer through my right foot, even though on the way back down that's my main bracing point.
This means that Phase 1 is mainly done with momentum ... OK for 24Kg but I can't get away with it when using 32Kg

On the way up: right shoulder lifts, body twists up onto left elbow, then right hip. Right leg is just a passenger, left elbow is just pivot point
On the way down: From left elbow, down to left shoulder then right shoulder - then right hip last to touch down. By keeping the hip up I get enough bracing through the leg to avoid just collapsing. Right leg is engaged and pushing all the way down

So...
On the way up I could lead with the right hip first, before the right shoulder - this puts the leg in a position to drive, similar to how I come down ... but doesn't sound right(?)
Today I experimented with pulling my right foot in much closer to my right hip (touching) This helped - but just checked S&S and it specifically says not to do this.

Welcome.
Can you post a video

On the way up: right shoulder lifts, body twists up onto left elbow, then right hip.
This part sounds odd. Right hand get-up, right shoulder lifts, body twists up on to left elbow, then to both hips or mostly left hip. Right leg is actively pushing into the floor, especially when you sweep the left leg under you.

Your "down" description sounds about right. The up should be the reverse of down. Same thing, same leverages, right leg doing the same thing in reverse.

Have you watched any videos of others? Lots of great examples. There were some in this thread, along with lots of great tips...

This part sounds odd. Right hand get-up, right shoulder lifts, body twists up on to left elbow, then to both hips or mostly left hip. Right leg is actively pushing into the floor, especially when you sweep the left leg under you.

Your "down" description sounds about right. The up should be the reverse of down. Same thing, same leverages, right leg doing the same thing in reverse.

Have you watched any videos of others? Lots of great examples. There were some in this thread, along with lots of great tips...
Thanks - bad description on my part.
Should be : On the way up: right shoulder lifts, body twists up onto left elbow, then right hip raises (weight on left hip)
I'll check out the videos.

Without a video, it sounds like the connection between the left elbow and right hip could use some work. Make a solid connection with both, push hard with that heel on the roll and really think of driving that elbow.
The extended leg - make it "long". Imagine a laser beam through the heel, push that beam away

The power comes from the hip and the shoulder the way I do mine..

But yes, a vid would be better so we can assess

So...

Please check out the video tip in this article:

Thanks for this link : really helped.
I'd list the thinigs I was doing wrong - but basically it was basically every thing in this video.
The Push/Pull, the angles were wrong, and I had no tension. Also pushing through the heel and not the foot made a lot of difference

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom