all posts post new thread

Old Forum TGU Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

EHughes323

Level 4 Valued Member
Long time reader, first time poster. I came up with this program for the TGU since I wasn’t a fan of the vague parameters set by the PM. Personally I like to have much more structure to my training that is easily observable and measurable on paper. I also like to know exactly what I need to do for each individual session. As you’ll soon realize, I came up with this based on Pavel’s article “How to Get Good at Programming” and also from Andrew Read’s article “The Program Maximum.” This program has been working very well for me so far, and I hope that some of you out there might find this program useful. Of course, any questions, comments, or critiques of this program are more than welcome. I will also post a link to Andrew Read’s article for those of you who haven’t read it.
http://breakingmuscle.com/kettlebells/the-program-maximum-kettlebell-training-for-the-advanced-athlete
2-20 min. Get-Up Program -
Do this program 3 days a week, on non-consecutive days (Ex: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday)
Week 1
Session 1: 2 mins.
Session 2: 4 mins.
Session 3: 6 mins.
Week 2
Session 4: 4 mins.
Session 5: 6 mins.
Session 6: 8 mins.
Week 3
Session 7: 6 mins.
Session 8: 8 mins.
Session 9: 10 mins.
Week 4
Session 10: 8 mins.
Session 11: 10 mins.
Session 12: 12 mins.
Week 5
Session 13: 10 mins.
Session 14: 12 mins.
Session 15: 14 mins.
Week 6
Session 16: 12 mins.
Session 17: 14 mins.
Session 18: 16 mins.
Week 7
Session 19: 14 mins.
Session 20: 16 mins.
Session 21: 18 mins.
Week 8
Session 22: 16 mins.
Session 23: 18 mins.
Session 24: 20 mins.
**Rest for 2-3 days, then test with a heavier bell (the goal is to make 8kg jumps from bell to bell). Ideally one should be able to start the program over again with the heavier bell.

For some reason this very important part didn't make it into the post, so here it is.

Do 1 Get-Up per minute, switching sides each minute. So, set your timer to beep/go off at 1 minute intervals. When the timer goes off, do your Get-Up, then rest for the remainder of the minute. This is why the sessions go up and down in 2 minute intervals rather than 1, since you are adding 1 Get-Up per side (or 2 Get-Ups total).

So essentially, this program takes someone from 2 Get-Ups (1 each side) in 2 minutes, up to 20 Get-Ups (10 each side) in 20 mins. Ideally this sort of volume should prepare someone adequately for the next heavier bell (again, assuming 8kg jumps from bell to bell).

20 get-ups in 20 minutes? I think you're way passed the point of switching to a heavier bell at that moment.

It takes me about 20 to 30 seconds to perform an average TGU, but not all the time.  I hope I'm not the only one here who encounters this (that might mean I'm doing it wrong), but sometimes if I lose a slight bit of stability and my arm begins wobbling I need to take just as long to hold the position I am in and restabilize myself.  That time spent trying to bring stability back takes more out of me than all the previous TGU leading up to it and I think that is the very reason you don't do them for reps.

Still, I like the idea of a progressive TGU program.  I think most people around here agree that 12 minutes with a bell is around the time you can step up to the next larger bell, and 5 minutes with a new bell is about the maximum you should be doing with it before you risk injury.

Siemen: I think you have a good point there. I am just starting week 4 today with the 24kg, so I think I'll test myself with the 32kg maybe after completing the 5th or 6th week (week 5 topping out at 14 mins. and week 6 at 16 mins.) I just figured it's better to over-prepare for the next bell than under-prepare.

James: Personally I have never had that problem, but maybe that is because I am still working with a relatively light bell (24kg bell @ 68kg bodyweight). But it usually takes me around 30 seconds to do a TGU as well, which is why the 1 TGU/minute setup works so well for me, since I don't usually deviate from that 30 seconds much, if at all.

This program has been working well so far; I am much more comfortable and confident with the 24kg than I was at the start. I'll update on my progress in another 2-3 weeks or so when I test with the 32kg. Thanks for the feedback gents!

Cool program!

Sieman,

What do you think would be a better indication of when to move up to a heavier bell?

I've not been doing TGU's as often as I used to, but really do like them.

I've had great practice sessions in the past where it was 25 or 30min straight through TGU's with a 24kg.  Was mostly alternating hands, but sometimes 2 reps each hand before switching.

The pace was always with control, always moving.  30min actually goes pretty fast when doing this.  Guess you can easily get into "the zone" and lose track of time because of the concentration required.

I think if you can do easy 5 minutes, try a weight up. I think you can do singles with the 32kg now

I I took a different approach to my getups when Pavel posted the blog with reference to The Magnificent Seven.  Ever since then, I have basically thrown time out the window.  I do hp getups at a slower pace and focus on quality res.  this is also about the time that I started doing getups with my 32.  I used to wonder if I would ever be able to use my 32 for getups, but now I can imagine eventually getting a 40.

i like to add in a snatch to start the get-up and an arm bar in the middle of the get-up, i also like to pause and get a few deep breaths at the phase of the getup where one arm is fully extended from the floor and the other arm is fully extended holding the bell - but i am also a numbers guy - i much prefer reps to time - guess its from spending so much time counting reps with the barbell.  my program is loosely laid out to have a heavy workload day once every 2 weeks either with swings or getups, and those days talk about 30 minutes, otherwise i like a daily practice so my light and med days are interspersed throughout the 2 weeks, and may be 5 mins or 20mins, sometimes 50swings, 1 getup, 1 kb deadlift, - sometimes 3 sets of that w 20 snatches thrown in the middle.  But my goals are not as aggressive as many in this forum.  im 48 with a long commute and a job in front of a computer,  i am not competing in any strength competitions, i just want to stay strong, so i can play with my kids and do some weekend warrior stuff.  i only have a single 24kg bell, but after being on this website for the past few months i am itching to get back to squats, deadlifts and get a couple of heavier bells.  thank you all for the continuous inspiration that this site provides.

There are a few (proven) programming styles for increasing strength.  A higher-volume program like what's listed here is one way.

Another (less time-consuming) method is high-intensity (i.e. % of max) and low-volume. For example:

Wednesday: TGU x1 (left hand) @ max weight

Saturday: TGU x1 (right hand) @ max weight

Other days: Other stuff (like swings, presses, squats, etc)

Repeat, repeatedly (i.e. for months).

Simple.  Effective.  Time commitment friendly.  It doesn't look like much, but it works (it's the program I follow).

I was on the PM for three months and went to the ROP a month or so ago. But, I broke my ankle the week before last, so haven't really been training - except cripping to and from my bus stops on crutches (almost two miles a day) - talk about an upper body workout. Seriously, it could be programmed into a workout.

Anyway, when I was on the PM, I worked up to 15 minutes with the 16kg. When I was confident with that, I started using the 24kg for five minutes, then followed immediately with 10 minutes on the 16kg. So, I basically kept the workout at 15 minutes, and the plan was to inch up the time with the 24kg until I was doing the entire workout with the 24kg. Then, the plan was to get a 32kg and do the same thing.

I take my time with the TGU, and in my five-minute workout with the 24kg, I think I only got two reps per side. And I honestly don't think I could keep an accurate count of more than 2-3 reps, so going for time works best for me. I pause at almost every step of the TGU. I just remember which side I start on, and make sure that when the timer goes off, my last rep is on the opposite side of what I started on, so I do the same number of reps per side.

When my ankle is healed, I think I will go back on the PM rather than the ROP, maybe adding goblet squats.

>But, I broke my ankle the week before last, so haven’t really been training – except cripping to and from my bus stops on crutches (almost two miles a day) – talk about an upper body workout. Seriously, it could be programmed into a workout.

Wow!!  You've gotta be strong to do a mile straight through on crutches....

I have been using a different variation of the PM, given by Pavel at the Boston Cert.

5 TGU + 100 (50L/50R) 1HSW's Mon - Fri.  No specific rest periods. Simply try and increase intensity of sets and progress the weight.

Been following this for 6 weeks and has been working great!

I started with 1L/1R TGU + 3/3 1HSW x 5.  Then finish off the session with the remaining swings in sets of 5/5.  I have found doing real singles with the TGU has allowed me to maximise the weight whilst staying fresh. Im now ready to start itergrating the 40kg slowly.

I was going to start the RoP soon with my 32kg, but doing the PM this way is addictive. I can stay fresh and lift heavy every day! :-D

Well - to clarify, it's not all one stretch. It's about a half-mile from the house to the bus stop, then about a half-mile from the downtown bus stop to my office. Then, back the same way in the afternoon. So basically four trips, about a half-mile each. Still a lot of work though, all with my big stupid lunchbox slung around my back!

Couldnt you program the swing similarly for those who do their PM workouts combined (swing and tgu on same day)? I was thinking start both at five minutes and assuming your working out three days a week add a minute each day and wave back one minute the following week. For the swing, you would start at five swings at yhe top of the minute and each week add one swing. So your week starting at five minutes would be five swings. Your week starting at six minutes would be six swings. Just my two cents. Seems like a good way to ease into it and progress.

Update on my progress:

On Thursday July 18th, instead of doing my scheduled session, I did 5 TGU singles each side with the 32kg, taking about 5 min. breaks between each set. Felt surprisingly good and smooth for the most part. So now I'm getting out of my comfort zone and trying to take a more "magnificent seven" style approach and not worrying about rest periods and timed sets and structure and all of that as much. My goal is to work up to doing low volume TGUs and One Arm Swings with The Beast. Here is my new approach:

This is done 6 days per week: - 4-6 TGUs (2-3 each side)

- 30-60 OASwings (15-30 each side)

- 3-5 mins. continuous Spiderman Crawling

After seeing how Tim Anderson did a 135 lbs. Barbell TGU @ 155 lbs. BW training primarily Spiderman Crawls, I decided I would try to work on getting better at those as well to see how it affects my TGU strength. I also warm up and cool down with The Preset and The Post-Reset from Original Strength with all of my training sessions.

I've been working the Crawls HARD lately.  Mostly Baby and Leopard.  They seem great to add in (along with simple rocking) as part of a superset to other activities like C&P/ Pullup ladders or just swing sets.  Will get to Spiderman at some point when I feel stronger.  I've noticed that backward crawls seem to really activate the muscles that are needed for One-Arm-One-Leg Pushups.  I'm hoping there is a good transfer over to my OAOLPU goals.

32kg TGU's are the real deal.  28kg is feeling pretty easy now for me, but 32kg is some hard work.

A Beast Get Up at the top of each minute for 20 minutes, then;

One-Handed Beast swings - 5L/5R, at the top of the minute for 20 minutes/200 reps, then;

Repeat 3 times per week. One your "off" days, just do some light running.

Right.

I bet after the author gets done with that, he saunters over to the neighbor's house and bench presses their Suburban for twenty sets of ten on the minute.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom