all posts post new thread

Old Forum TGU Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Sam,

So, you're doing 1L/1R TGU, then 3L/3R one-hand swings - times five sets - then finishing the remainder of 100 one-hand swings - every day from Mon-Fri? No rest days besides Sat/Sun?

How do you vary the intensity? Just by varying your rest times, or do you use a lighter kettlebell for some workouts?

Jason,

As I was going to train heavy everyday and this was new to me, I started with a reduced volume of swings (60 total) and 5 Get Ups, so I could gauge how my body reacted. Increased it every two weeks to 80 total swings and finally 100.

As for intensity, I increased the density each week of the Get Ups and increased the reps in the Sw's.

i.e 1/1, SW, 1/1, SW, 1/1, SW, 1/1, SW, 1/1, Sw to

1/1, SW, 1/1, SW, 1/1, SW, 1/1x2, SW

1/1, SW, 1/1x2, SW, 1/1x2, SW

1/1x2, SW, 1/1x3, SW

1/1x5, SW etc

I had no specific rest periods. I went on feel and wanted to stay fresh and feel "energised" by the time I finished. But I would guess around two minutes.

I cant say this is or was the right way to do it, just what felt right to me.  I will carry on for a couple more weeks before starting to add in my 40kg slowly. As for results, I couldnt press the 32kg barely off my shoulder, and now I am pressing it for easy singles GTG style.

Pull Up ladders 2x a week in the evening (PM done in the morning) and barbell squatting on Sat (low volume). Sun off.

Looks complicated, but I find it surprising simple and mentally easy to focus.

Sam

Great - thanks for the reply.

Once my ankle heals, I think I'll go back on the PM for a little while. But, once I'm back to where I was, I think I'd rather tweak the PM instead of going on the ROP. Between my own thinking, this forum, and the Dave Draper forum, I'm getting some ideas for that.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread somewhat. I still think it's related, and that TGU progression can be considered for variations on the PM.

No apology necessary Jason, everyone's input has been greatly appreciated on my part.

Actually I have recently taken an approach to the PM that is very similar to Sam's and am already loving it. I just do 2-5 TGUs and 60 One Hand Swings per day, 6 days a week. I decided to get rid of the 3-5 mins. of continuous Spiderman Crawls that I had originally planned on doing every training session since my primary goal is to get better at heavy TGUs and OHSwings, so I figured I would focus on "keeping the goal the goal" (although I still always warm up and cool down with the resets from Original Strength). This variation on the PM fits in perfectly with both my goals and my very busy school schedule, since the sessions usually don't take too long at all. So thanks to Sam and everyone for your advice and info!

I would have to agree with Jeff on this one slow and steady is the best practice for TGU'S. When I got my HKC certification they taught us to make every movement exact and even pause for a second at each of the seven steps. The get up is suppose to work your stabilizer muscles and get that crazy core strength that only kettlebells can give you. On top of that if your planning on going heavy with the TGU Your going to want to make sure each move is exact or that Kettlebell will be coming down and you all know who wins that battle every time.

Joe Dymnioski HKC

I started with:

TGU with the 12(one left, one right)/Swings with the 24kg x 10 , repeat/nonstop for 12mins on  5 jun 2013

I do it around 4 days a week.

And yesterday (25 Jul 2013)  I did TGU with the 16(one left, one right)/Swings with the 24x10,   repeat/nonstop for 15mins , before I did easy 5/3/2 set of Bench Press (45kg) and some (2x2 only....) hollow position parallel grip chin up.

Evan,

I think your program will work nicely. This is similar to what I have used in the past with success; nice blend of work and rest with the switching sides each rep. I always did 20 mins however, starting with a lighter KB and working through weight ladders (i.e. 16, 24, 28, 32kg). Gradually I changed more of the lighter reps for heavier ones.

One suggestion. An 8KG jump is harsh so you might want to consider starting out with ratchet ladders (try searching for Josef on the DD forum if you're interested) with the heavier weight. You can then to focus on the key stages and stability for each before formally programming in the way you've suggested.

Anyway, good luck.

Progress Update: Never thought I would ever say this, but after doing 5 EASY TGU singles today on each side with the 32kg, it actually feels quite easy now...I've been really taking my time and focusing on perfect form each rep, resting as much as I need between sets (around 3 mins. usually), pausing at each stage of each rep, and sometimes even taking 45+ seconds to complete a single rep. Even though my funds are a little tight right now, I am very tempted to order myself a Bulldog, because I know I can own it...

Evan, I ordered  Original Strength not too long ago, can't wait to read it!

I did two sets of single with the 20KG last night. It was a bit shaky. Hopefully I can do it with 24KG before I return the adjustable bell to my friend!

Toby,

Congrats on the 20kg TGUs! I think the 24kg will come pretty quickly, especially when you start to incorporate the resets from Original Strength. Yes, they are THAT helpful.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom