all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU progress advice please

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Davidlbn

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi All

I currently practice S&S 2 to 3 days a week. I also run, swim, cycle and paddle, hence the reason for not doing S&S daily.

I am currently swinging a 32, TGUs with a 28. Making progress with the TGUs is quite hard at present. I have started adding in one set of 32 to the TGUs but am really struggling with the weight.

I have been to an SFG a couple of times to improve my technique but at this stage I think it’s purely a strength problem.

I’m looking for some guidance to get my TGUs up to speed. I am considering adding a couple of days of TGUs only, probably at a lighter weight, say a 20 or 24.
Would this help? Or should I try to stick with the 28 and 32 on the extra days?

I want to be cautious about overworking my shoulders, which paddling and swimming also work hard.
Of course the other option is to stick with what I’m doing and be more patient ;)

Please provide more information on your TGU 32 kg struggling. Posting a video would be very helpful.

Yes please upload vids for feedback and specify which poetio do you struggle with most..

Have you tried pausing at each position for 3 seconds minimum? Doing getup to palm with the 32kg?

@Mark Limbaga
Thanks for the reply. Roll to elbow is normally the most difficult part, then the lunge up to standing.

I will try the 3 second pauses with the 28 and the getup to palm with the 32.

I'll post a video as soon as I work out how. If anyone can give some instruction on that as well I'd be grateful...

I would do multiple 1/2 get ups from the bottom with the 32 after your work with the 28. Slowly over time increase by adding a step.

@Mark Limbaga
Thanks for the reply. Roll to elbow is normally the most difficult part, then the lunge up to standing.

I will try the 3 second pauses with the 28 and the getup to palm with the 32.

I'll post a video as soon as I work out how. If anyone can give some instruction on that as well I'd be grateful...

Lean your smartphone/digicam/tablet against an object to serve as a kickstand.. Check the angle then record the video :) watch afterwards and see if you like how you recorded

I like Mark's suggestions. Along with his recommendations, you could consider spreading your current volume across 5 days. For instance, if you were doing 10 GU's, 3 days a week, try going to 6 GU's 5 days a week. This would also give you more time to add in the pauses and partials. For some reason, I can make more progress in TGU's with more frequency. Maybe it would help you too. I also made more progress doing them "fresh", so If you left your swings to 3 days, having a couple dedicated days just doing GU's will help too. Good Luck!

When progressing upwards in kettlebell weight, I find bad habits I could get away with at lesser weights no longer fly. For example, at weight X, I can get away with a slightly bent elbow but at weight X+, the bend makes the whole arm want to fold downwards. Now, I don’t know if you have a similar situation or not, but perhaps you can get away with something at 28kg than you can’t at 32kg.

Heavier weight can be instructive. This morning I was helping a friend who was learning the kettlebell swing and they had a mistake to correct. They were using a light enough weight that they could lift the bell with their arms rather than rely on the force from the hips. And of course, after a certain weight, lifting with the arms is very difficult since the swing position doesn’t give good leverage for using arm strength.

Lean your smartphone/digicam/tablet against an object to serve as a kickstand.. Check the angle then record the video :) watch afterwards and see if you like how you recorded
That part I got :)! I meant how to embed the video in a post on this forum. But I think I have figured it out. Here goes.

Didn't watch the video, but it doesn't sound like a strength issue, or a form issue, or even a physical issue, it sounds like a mindset issue.

You mention,
I’m looking for some guidance to get my TGUs up to speed

Up to speed with what? Your swing weight? There's no rule that these are supposed to be at the same weight.

The only place your TGU weight needs to be is exactly where it is.

Hi @Davidlbn

The video shows a few things that I think you could tighten up. The main thing is that both of your shoulders have room to be "packed" more. The working shoulder (left in the video) should be screwed into its socket, so the spherical part of the KB should be more towards the outside of your body when you start and less over your face. The non-working shoulder (right in this case) should be anti-shrugged more when propped up on your elbow and straight arm.

I would imagine that right now your reps feel somewhat inconsistent from one to the next, and from day-to-day; this is common when there is "slack in the system" as mentioned above. I think if you can learn to take this slack out you will feel more consistent and confident, and with some time will be ready to handle heavier weights.

Hi @Davidlbn

The video shows a few things that I think you could tighten up. The main thing is that both of your shoulders have room to be "packed" more. The working shoulder (left in the video) should be screwed into its socket, so the spherical part of the KB should be more towards the outside of your body when you start and less over your face. The non-working shoulder (right in this case) should be anti-shrugged more when propped up on your elbow and straight arm.

I would imagine that right now your reps feel somewhat inconsistent from one to the next, and from day-to-day; this is common when there is "slack in the system" as mentioned above. I think if you can learn to take this slack out you will feel more consistent and confident, and with some time will be ready to handle heavier weights.
Thank you Tony. I'll work on it.

Looks good @Davidlbn

Two things I see that you could improve:

1) Wrist may not be straight, though it's hard to see in the video. In all kettlebell work where you are holding the bell, the wrist should be like the second photo (photo from @https://www.instagram.com/zackhenderson_/):

1579530776036.png

And

2) Not hinging optimally. Here is a good technique video about that:

Keep up the good work! I like Tony's comment about slack in the system. Tension is the key.

Last edited:
There is a lot of good advice so far in this thread, especially about mindset.

When I have someone struggling to go up a bell in the TGU, I have them spend more time under tension with their current bell or even a lighter one. The first drill is holding each position for a 3-5 count as suggested above. The second drill is adding 1-3 presses in each position on the way up.

These two drills will help you identify your weak positions and get comfortable under load. Take your time and focus on the skill.

Blake Nelson

The only place your TGU weight needs to be is exactly where it is
I'm with you, it's just that someone created a simple goal that I'd like to achieve ?

However, based on the replies here I'm going to try mixing up the TGU weight a bit using a lighter weight with longer pauses at each position on alternate days to my heavy TGUs, also using the lighter days to try refine my technique.

Thanks all for the advice!

@Davidlbn, make your current weight feel heavier before moving on to an actual heavier weight. There are many ways you can do that, some already mentioned, e.g., pausing in each position. Try floor pressing the weight from your chest with one arm instead of two; coming up to your elbow multiple times before completing the movement; pressing from various positions; taking a walk with the bell overhead before starting to come down again, and the list could go on and on.

Here's a good article that takes this approach, and so far I don't think it's been mentioned:

-S-

@Davidlbn, make your current weight feel heavier before moving on to an actual heavier weight. There are many ways you can do that, some already mentioned, e.g., pausing in each position. Try floor pressing the weight from your chest with one arm instead of two; coming up to your elbow multiple times before completing the movement; pressing from various positions; taking a walk with the bell overhead before starting to come down again, and the list could go on and on.

Here's a good article that takes this approach, and so far I don't think it's been mentioned:

-S-
Thank you Steve, that article is exactly the kind of minute detail I work well with.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom