all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Tgu progression from Simple to Sinister - advice -

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sircaledon

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi all.

I completed Simple standards quite easily, around one month. I'm not new to kb, so I had both the move for swing and tgu, even if never worked with more than 24 untill this season.

On summer, I work whit barrel, only strength. I'm a light ( 64 kg) atlete, don't mind about volume. I like strength and mobility.

Now the point. Since I reached Simple, I started my route to Sinister.
All right whit swing, working every day, I I'm in my 40, very happy.

But no way about tgu. Each attempt failed, risked some injuries, losing the bell.

Any advice to progress?

By now, I'm working on my shoulder and arm stability, in this way.
Jumped down on my 24, do the up of the tgu, do the down of a press, do a bent press, and do the down of the tgu. 5 for each side 5/7 after 100 A+A snatch
It's a very long time under tension, and a good stress for the shoulder and arm. The idea is to reach a 5+5 of this whit the 32, and than tray back again the 40 for the tgu.

Anyone of you has any idea about?
Or any other interesting tips for the progression? ( please not half jump, I don't agree whit half jump)

Thank by now, and sorry for my bad English ( I'm Italian)

Congrats on you achievements! And welcome to the forum.

This thread contains a lot of great advice:
S&S Consecutive Get-ups

Basically: get familiar with the weight with holds, carries or partial TGUs and/or increase volume or time under tension with your lower weight (consecutive reps or more reps). And be patient. And check your technique :)

Straight arm holds with the bell worked wonders for me! Both lying on the ground or standing. Use your other arm to help the bell into place.

How to Get Better at Everything by Training Multiple Get-Ups | StrongFirst
From Simple to Sinister: Waving Volume on S&S | StrongFirst

With the Multiple Get-Up program I went from 32 to 40, I repeated the program immediately and achieved the 48.
I used the Waving Volume program at the same time for the Swing with a 36 and then a 40.
Did you have access to bells in 4kg increments? The OP doesn't want the inbetween jumps so at least the last phase might not be as applicable.

Congrats on you achievements! And welcome to the forum.

This thread contains a lot of great advice:
S&S Consecutive Get-ups

Basically: get familiar with the weight with holds, carries or partial TGUs and/or increase volume or time under tension with your lower weight (consecutive reps or more reps). And be patient. And check your technique :)

Today have done a couple of 'to elbow' whit the 40. Til that point, I was feeling in safety. I think I'll add half ups till the safety point more and more, thanks ☺️

I'd say that you should stick with the 32 for a while before doing any strange tactics. It's only been 1 month on the program. Alternatively:
  • you could try doubles with 32. If doubles is too much, do 1.5 get ups. That is, end at the top of the second rep. Or do doubles with 24.
  • Do partials with the 40 up to the stage you can do safely.
  • Use 36. What wrong with half jumps?

I'd say that you should stick with the 32 for a while before doing any strange tactics. It's only been 1 month on the program. Alternatively:
  • you could try doubles with 32. If doubles is too much, do 1.5 get ups. That is, end at the top of the second rep. Or do doubles with 24.
  • Do partials with the 40 up to the stage you can do safely.
  • Use 36. What wrong with half jumps?
I don't like half jumps because if you are not ready for the full jump, you not ready. Half jump are, in my opinion, like cheating. I want to be ready for the full jump and do it. Half lift is something better, for me of course.

About the few time managing the 32, I agree, it's not yet so familiar, even if I'm familiar whit kb an hight weight anyway.

First off, the TGU is my nemesis. It's not my favorite exercise, but it has had a big impact on my strength and how I feel (when I'm not doing them)
Volume over intensity. Build up your volume on the 32. You can always do some partial reps with the 40, but try to get more volume of the 32 under your belt.
When I was working my TGU up, I would get to where I could do 50+ reps/week with the current bell for a few weeks, and then I found I could do one full rep with the bell 4kg higher. Initially I was struggling to do one rep with a 36kg, and in 6 months I was doing all 10 reps with a 48kg. I'd imagine you could do the same with 8kg jumps, but you'd need to be more patient and spend a lot more time building volume.
I don't know if it's a money issue, space issue, pride issue, or wife issue, but if you can get a 36kg, it would sure make your life a lot easier.

BTW: For the S&S purists, I understand that Pavel never directly discusses 4kg jumps in the book. My guess is that he was trying to remain consistent with using minimal equipment for a minimalist program. But if you do a search among this website you'll find instances of Pavel & other instructors recommending 4kg jumps. There is even a video floating around with Pavel discussing how considerable a jump is from 32kg to 36kg. In my mind there's no way to cheat strength except for steroids. If 4kg is considered cheating, then I'm fine with being a strong cheater.
Good Luck!

First off, the TGU is my nemesis. It's not my favorite exercise, but it has had a big impact on my strength and how I feel (when I'm not doing them)
Volume over intensity. Build up your volume on the 32. You can always do some partial reps with the 40, but try to get more volume of the 32 under your belt.
When I was working my TGU up, I would get to where I could do 50+ reps/week with the current bell for a few weeks, and then I found I could do one full rep with the bell 4kg higher. Initially I was struggling to do one rep with a 36kg, and in 6 months I was doing all 10 reps with a 48kg. I'd imagine you could do the same with 8kg jumps, but you'd need to be more patient and spend a lot more time building volume.
I don't know if it's a money issue, space issue, pride issue, or wife issue, but if you can get a 36kg, it would sure make your life a lot easier.

BTW: For the S&S purists, I understand that Pavel never directly discusses 4kg jumps in the book. My guess is that he was trying to remain consistent with using minimal equipment for a minimalist program. But if you do a search among this website you'll find instances of Pavel & other instructors recommending 4kg jumps. There is even a video floating around with Pavel discussing how considerable a jump is from 32kg to 36kg. In my mind there's no way to cheat strength except for steroids. If 4kg is considered cheating, then I'm fine with being a strong cheater.
Good Luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll spend more time and more and more whit the 32, till I'll be string enough for the 40.

What I understood is... I'm not yet strong enough for the the 40

Do you have access to a 36kg? If yes, start doing a few sets with it.

If not, pause for 2-3 seconds on each step of the getup with the 32kg both on the way up and on the way down

Looking at various threads on this forum you will notice that most people report a ‘sticking point’ where it get’s difficult with the tgu somewhere down the line. Some say it is below, some above 32kg.

Now, some say it’s the moment when it get’s actually heavy for your body and you really need to learn the proper leverage to get off the ground. That might be true. The second theory is you need to take the time to own it in order to easily move up. Personally I lean more to the second opinion.

From my perspective, the jump from 24 to 32 was like hitting the wall. I had stayed with 32 patiently and, today when I first tried 40kg it felt almost easy for both lifts.

Take your time and good luck!

Do you have access to a 36kg? If yes, start doing a few sets with it.

If not, pause for 2-3 seconds on each step of the getup with the 32kg both on the way up and on the way down
I always use to do the tgu in 5 sec each step to have a great TUT

I take my time to give my own full replay to my post, because I had a great lesson by myself to get over my sticking point.

Yes, I did, I tgu my 40, and while it was reaching the sky I dawned the evil.

First of all, I studied, than tried, then studied again, the finaly understand.

How do you say ' the evil is on the hand'?

Yes, because I finally found my 'mistake' on locking the bell on my hand. Until the 32kg, a not perfect grip on the bell, putting too much on the forearm, could be equilibrated by pure strength, but the jump on 40, put out all the needing of find a position could give the full arm in the perfect equilibrium.

I found, mine, whit my large horn kb, in the full opposite of where I was looking.

And it happens like it should do. 40kg from the flor to over my head.

All this, just to say two things.

First: everybody of us as or will have a stick point. To just go over, every detail may be the ONE.

Second: anyone may like half jump. I don't like them, and this experience is an example of the why. Full jump doesn't allow low techinc, every point have to be perfect for a full jump. And this mean that when you finally add the 8kg to the movement, you have the right techinc to not to risk injury, or at least minimal.

So, practice, techinc, details and good lift to everyone ☺️

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom